51 concord b/c hemi transplant project

pumppy10

hello all, well I started my 331 hemi transplant into my 51 coupe this winter. car needed some attention so I tore her down to shell and frame over the past 5 months, decided a motor swap was something I have wanted to do for quite some time and finally decided on putting in a 331 hemi I picked up. got a LONG way to go but have done a lot of homework on this and decided to go for it. seems almost all the people I spoke to about it were singing the praises of doing a small block chebby, but I just don't want to be like 99% of what I see at the shows and really don't want anything but a mopar powerplant.   I figured why not go for it and stay old school with the 331 hemi.    I will try to keep updating my progress as it goes. If anyone has any good input, I'm all ears.

post-5172-0-52204400-1395186986_thumb.jpg

post-5172-0-15212800-1395187029_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

ok guys, here's the deal, since I am totally dedicated to the hemi swap, which is coming along, I was up in the barn and decided to get ride of the things I have been tripping over the last 6 months and I really need the room for my current build.  all items are FREE to whom ever comes and gets them, included are 2 218 motors, the original which I pulled from my 51 coupe car ran good when pulled, all internals are still in block, all externals have been pulled and set aside, some gaskets and it should be ready to install, the 2nd 218 was a froze motor given to me, this  has valve train still inside, no intake/exhaust manifold. the 3rd is a 230, I think its a 54 model, this one is totally torn down, this one does not have a flywheel and  intake/exhaust manifold.  There are generator's, bell housings, distributers, flywheels, clutches and misc parts.   

No, I'm not a guy with to much money or to few brains, just cant see good things sitting around going to waist when somebody may be able to use them. The 230 will require machine work but I do not think it is past the point of no return. The 2nd 218 is pretty rough shape, had to drill a piston to remove it, but with enough work it could be saved.  The only catch is these parts need to be picked up here, will not ship.  Drop me a line if interested.  Once again these parts are free to a good home.  They are all the 23" blocks.

• Like 1

Have you ever saw the mag. streetrodder- they did a build article on a 50 ply. bus. cpe. gasser. first article was in 2009.

A search for- 1950 plymouth gasser brought up several, one of them was that article. there are 3 + articles done over time.

Worth a look.

They used a fatman stub but after while it was worse than  homemade parts- My opinon but after 2nd or 3rd article install of rad. and flip front sheet metal setup seems best to build your own. check it out.

Oh ya, they were using a hemi motor!

Doug

• Like 1

I am located in southeast pa, also stock rear complete is going to need a new home, that will be free also. prev. owner already converted it to accept u-joints.

south eastern pa here also,,,where abouts ? hope to see  your car some place,,,

i saw that write up info on the web about the 50 gasser,  really good write up, some killer ideas. I am in pottstown. Also as i am going to be deleating stock steering i will be puttiing up the steering box and the front suspension up for sale. It is all in nice shape and can be bolted right on, fresh paint and grease. Springs are no good so in the scrap pile they go.

i saw that write up info on the web about the 50 gasser,  really good write up, some killer ideas. I am in pottstown. Also as i am going to be deleating stock steering i will be puttiing up the steering box and the front suspension up for sale. It is all in nice shape and can be bolted right on, fresh paint and grease. Springs are no good so in the scrap pile they go.

levittown  here  

Edited by fstfish66

• 2 weeks later...

ok, here is the latest update, started doing my rough in of hemi and was really surprised how much room I have to work with, do not have to cut front frame rails! will work very nicely with what I have to work with. since I am running gasser headers over the outside of the frame rail space is no an issue at all. These are only rough in pics but they show how nice things are coming along

post-5172-0-68061700-1397865105_thumb.jpg

post-5172-0-82158600-1397865205_thumb.jpg

post-5172-0-23673100-1397865214_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

going with a flaming river steering set up. going to make my own headers so no trouble there. i have 3" to work with in reguards to front/back motor positioning, which seems to be pleanty,  do not even have to move firewall, bell sits nice in tunnel so far, like i stated before this is only a rough mock up so when it comes down to actully bolting this beast down i'm sure there will be some modding of parts but i dodn't see any major surgury, and like forrest gump said "thats good"!