1954 dodge royal 500 convertible Pacecar restoraton part 1

dodge59

searching for an oil bath 4 bl air cleaner like this on in the pic.

it's all round with no divets/cut outs  for generator . 54 dodge pacecar 

any  any leads would sure be appreciated. Thanks  guys .

john

post-5817-0-47075700-1409889068_thumb.jpg

That chrome looks better than new. I separated my frame and body Wed. evening and am sandblasting the frame. Should have it done Saturday and then paint the frame. I may have made an unforgivable mistake. I took the windshield out so I could replace the gasket and paint the frame but wound up with several small cracks. I tried to find a new windshield and was told it is the only vehicle and year that used the windshield. Anyone know of a good 54royal convertible win shield?

• Like 1

yeah .. I worked on all the trims for 3 days .   they are going to look great on the ragtop..

on the windshield..........  I did all the research on it also.. came up empty  on that glass.   one of a kind. nobody around had one .

john

Thanks for the suggestions on some places to try for a windshield for my 54 convertible. I'm not sure if a 2 door coupe will work on the convertible. Does any one know? I was told by  Vintage Auto Glass in CA. that the 54 convertible was the only car to use that windshield.

• Like 1

mopar ......

one of a kind windshield ... it's all by  itself..    even the 53 convert will not fit .

wait until you get into your dodge .... you will see  alot of parts will not interchange from sedans hardtops and wagons..  54  dodge convert is all by itself .

Edited by dodge59

Thanks for the suggestions on some places to try for a windshield for my 54 convertible. I'm not sure if a 2 door coupe will work on the convertible. Does any one know? I was told by  Vintage Auto Glass in CA. that the 54 convertible was the only car to use that windshield.

vintage auto glass is correct ..........only 54 convertible.

did all the research on this model already. one of a kind all by itself mopar.

Here is a you tube video of this  oil bath 4 bl. air cleaner I am searching for. very unique .  anyone have for sale ? Thanks !

john   ...........................................................................------------------.......................................

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+1954+dodge+pacecar&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=2DCC331D6E55A8B0AB832DCC331D6E55A8B0AB83

Edited by dodge59

here is another pic of the oil bath 4 bl air cleaner I need . This is Jay Leno's 54 dodge wagon with 241 hemi 4 bl.

anyone have one ?

let me know .

Thanks !

john

post-5817-0-87037500-1410557522_thumb.jpg

almost ready for the tires and wheels and off the jack stand she goes.

Then a test drive around the block.

got a lot of thing acomplished this weekend.

check it out .

fender 500 emblems  installed 

stone shield rocker rmoldings installed 

rear bumper installed 

Grill installed .

body side moldings I worked on during last week . now installed .

looking good !

post-5817-0-88439900-1410741267_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-50485600-1410741280_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-42192700-1410741291_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-99078200-1410741307_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

this is my  correct offenhauser intake and wcfb 2191s  4 bl carb  that will be  going on at a later date .

also convertible top  just arrived ups. 

post-5817-0-14513300-1411081436_thumb.jpg

got an issue with the front brakes ..  passenger side  is hanging up when I try to move forward .. but does not hang up up when going in reverse.  

had this issue when I first purchased the car  . replaced all 4 corner  brake cylinders .  shoes all looked like new.  cleaned up everything thing in there  ...........clean as a whistle.

my  guess is I have a collasped  rubber brake  line to the pass wheel. Any guesses ?

Thanks !

john

Edited by dodge59
  • Like 1

Congrat's on a job well done. I don't think it is a collapsed brake hose. If it was a collapsed hose it wouldn't make a difference which direction you are going. My guess would be something to do with adjustment or installation of the shoes.

• Like 1

Congrat's on a job well done. I don't think it is a collapsed brake hose. If it was a collapsed hose it wouldn't make a difference which direction you are going. My guess would be something to do with adjustment or installation of the shoes.

Thanks for the compliment mopar .. Nice to here. 

on the brakes  mopar >>> here is the thing though . when  you can move the car  forward on the ground it's locked up .. but when you raise that wheel off the  ground .. it spins freely. go figure.

I thought I had the problem fixed when I seen that the arc or the shoes was off some  where they pivot  and corrected that  but  it still did not help the issue.  maybe it's a weak spring in there that pulls the shoes together.  .. it's a stumper.

. . . here is the thing though . when  you can move the car  forward on the ground it's locked up .. but when you raise that wheel off the  ground .. it spins freely. go figure. . . .

Then something in the alignment or geometry of the parts is different between having the wheel off the ground and having it on the ground. To me that suggests the wheel bearings and/or as mentioned earlier in the thread the castle nut that adjusts the bearings.

• Like 1