PT Cruiser: Tragically Hip, or Just Tragic?

GlennCraven

From what I've heard, Gutless on the freeway but a real nice Saturday morning yard sale stash car. That and the HHR nice looking Retro vehicles, Ive seen wood kits to try and Woody them up. Not my cup of tea, Rod

I did see a REALLY "woody" one today. … I've noticed a lot of them here in Janesville, Wisc. More than I recall from living in other parts of the country.

Anyone else with thoughts?

I think they have problems in the looks department.  It would take more than some glue -on or bolt-on panels to make it look right.  More like a Sawzall and welder.  Might make a good clown car.

• Like 2

I asked because my son might be in need of an inexpensive ride in a few months (he may be going from a city with excellent mass transit to a smaller city with much less). So, I did an Autotrader search for fairly low-miles (under 75k) cars under $5,000 and turned up more PT Cruisers than any other single model. A lot more.

Most look to be in very good condition, but I'd heard or assumed they were anemic on the power end and they're definitely a love-it or leave-it style.

I tend to see a lot of middle-aged and older women driving them. Maybe that's why there's a lot of low-mileage, very clean examples on the used market. And why demand for them isn't all that high.

while your son is living in a larger city with mass transit as you state en appears to may be moving...it also seems to me he is out and on his own and that the car of choice would be more his than yours...of course I know not the full details and they are of no real value for me to know either..what is his input on the PT Cruiser as possible make and model..If I saw one this weekend I bet I saw twenty of these cars this weekend alone out and about...only the convertible is a joke on humankind in that awful afterthought of model enhancements..uglier than a Carson top on a retro make of a classic...pure abortion in all aspects

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

I believe they are as reliable as any other...If you are buying this for the son, I'd sure not worry if he likes the looks or not...INDEED the choice is not his. Even if he's giving you the money to find him a car...perhaps he's too busy...I'd still be more worried about it getting from point A to point B, and not if it wins any popularity contest. I mean, if he does not like what you get him, whether you pay for it, or do all the leg work...too bad too sad!!! :) Seriously.

Hmmmm...well, my mother in law does have one, and I have driven it from Cheney to Seattle and back, and did not find any lack of power issues. No, it didn't run like my Dart, but it did fine with three people and lots of "stuff".

I think they are good cars. They do have a narrow market nitch...for basic transportation I'd take advantage of that. He may absolutely love it. If not he could sell it and get whatever he wants, and not bother you about it. :) Or he could paint it black, and put flames and skulls on it.

Oh one more thing. If you really take a non-biased look at a PT, it's not a bad looking car. It's just that it's outside of the box of all the other cookie-cutter cars. If you want to see a really UGLY car along the same lines, look at that Chevy they brought out in "answer" to the PT. Now that's tragic. Okay now I'll shut up.

ken.

Edited by Lumpy

For the record, my son hasn't asked me for help on this, either paying for the car or finding one. I'm not sure he's really considered the need yet. He's weighing his options for additional graduate school and while a couple of the places will keep him in cities with mass transit, one of his best offers may come from a school in a smaller city where there might be less effective mass transit and his need for a car might be greater.

Also for the record, I don't think a parent is obligated to buy their kid a car, especially not a grown child. However, 10 years ago when my son was just starting high school, a relative gave him a used car. He didn't have his license yet, but we registered it with me on the title, planning to add him when he was legal in a couple of months.

Long story made short, my car went into the shop, I borrowed "his" car, and totaled it. He went through high school without a car, went to college in the city where he didn't need a car, and still today (at age 25) would be just fine going without provided sufficient public transit options exist.

Still, I've always felt like it would be appropriate to make up for wrecking the kid's first ride when the time comes that he did want or need a car.

Edited by GlennCraven

ah..guilty conscious...however it is only fair and to that end that is cool... I remember wrecking dads sedan when younger..though smashed in the rear a bit like it was did not affect it driving but did look like bad..I could easily fix it today.....I later replaced that car for him with similar make but in a wagon..he drove that wagon for years and loved the wagon body so much he replaced it with yet a newer Plymouth wagon which got totaled out by distracted driver...it was later replaced with a van and well...he has had a van since with the later two being mini vans..I stillhave his first 76 van here at the house, still runs...360/727/3.23  anyone need a donor?  lol

• Like 1

Speaking of vans, the first vehicle I ever drove regularly was an ex-Missouri Highway Department, high-visibility orange '75 Dodge Maxi Van. A guy bought it at a surplus sale and customized it for resale.

Shag carpet, teak overhead console and wood accents throughout the interior, platform bed in back, six-speaker stereo, CB, Cragar rims. … I'm not sure what Dad was thinking when he bought that van, as there were more suitable family vehicles. But it became a great road-trip vehicle for high school boys.

Basically it resembled this, but about two feet longer and with windows.

0908trweb_58_z%2B2009_van_nationals_show

My wife drives an 05 pt cruiser and from my experiences it's a little low on power and when you drive it hard it becomes very thirsty. Wrenching on them can be difficult because some things are quite tight to get at,the timing belt comes to mind. They are hard on tie rods and front suspension components and ours now has an electrical bug that locks and unlocks the doors whenever it feels like. This is just my $.02 and the standard transmission version may be better. They are very roomy inside, inexpensive to buy and I even like the looks. 

• Like 1

I bought this '06 PT Cruiser for my beloved at a local club member's estate auction in 2009. She is very happy with it — we both like the style and colour (and this red is about the only Cruiser colour we like) and she finds it easy to park and comfortable to drive and easy to get in and out. I agree with the above sentiments about ugly convertibles and Cruisers being hard on tie rods. Replacing the timing belt is a big job, but ours was done courtesy of Chrysler when the water pump (IIRC) was replaced under warranty.

Pictured with Michelle's Cruiser is my own '06, an Orient Buckboard Runabout. Coincidently, I paid almost exact the same amount for this car in 1995 as we did for hers 14 years later. Difference is, mine has appreciated 20-fold from its new-car price and the Cruiser loses value every day.

post-1019-0-85608200-1395021914_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

To me...An ugly car thats a real challenge at times to do some repairs.

Timing belt, radiator and AC work- very tight quarters. Cooling system leakage at the cracking upper plastic pipe, door and ignition locking problems as already mentioned, rear hatch strut failures, and plenty of rear cabin road noise.

Other than that.. still really ugly.

• Like 1

I think the above describes MOST newer cars.

I'm glad you want to help him out of kindness, and not because he demands or expects it. still...one should not look the gift horse in the mouth.

k.

We are discussing not helping as the OP requested :)

I really appreciate the input, and that Orient Buckboard Runabout is FANTASTIC!

Thanks Glenn. and here is my favourite period advert for the Orient, pitching the optional $25 front-mounted car seat. My, how times have changed...

post-1019-0-45208100-1395066702_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

When Chrysler ftnally got the Neon right they disconned it and the Pt got the drivetrain. Recent mopars stratus pt journey etc all have front end problems. A fellow I work with got rid of his 97 Stratus and got a 10 Pt. Noisier, thirstier, not as good brakes, and harder to work on. Gotta wonder why so many are so cheap on the used car market. Personally, I never got the whole lets make a new car look old deal. The thing I hear most about them is they are versitil for hauling stuff. I RECENTLY SPOKE TO A PERSON THAT TRADED THEIR pt for a kia soul, which they proclaim to be a better vehical in all respects.

I think the retro look is great...want to see some more of it..not every pull of the handle comes up cherries..funny how the same man knocked it out of the park with the PT Crusier but fell on his face with the HHR..these cars were made to fill a niche in the market and they filled it quite well.  All cars it seems have some inherent problems built in.  IF I were in charge the design team would be made to go to the shop floor and repair the very cars they design and I think a quick solution to some of the built in hardships would disappear...the way cars are assembled is through sub assemblies with no regard to preventive/corrective repairs.  There are tons of Neons and PT's on the road yet compared to some of the other cars of the era provided to the market by the US big three..this speaks well for them...problem is most folks drive with their head in the clouds and want a 20,000 dollar new car to be on par with a top of the line luxury car...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

Thanks Glenn. and here is my favourite period advert for the Orient, pitching the optional $25 front-mounted car seat. My, how times have changed...

This is awesome. Your child is the hood ornament.  :)

I suppose that "love it or leave it" pretty much sums it up.  I liked them from the first time I laid eyes on one.  Really wanted one, but was still overseas at the time, and couldn't afford one anyway.  Now that they're old enough that I could afford one, there are so many of them that the unique factor is kinda' lost.  (More than a little.)  But I do still like them, and if I was choosing a small car for myself, I would look for one.  My wife does not like them.  I tried to sell her on it when we were looking for a car for one of our children to drive, and although I thought it looked like they had better ground clearance than other cars in its class, it didn't turn out to be so.  We had a 2.0 L '98 Neon that my daughter drove, and other than failed AC, never needed to do any work on it.  Nearly all recent model cars are a pickle to work on, so I don't see that as a real criticism of just the PT.  From what I recall from looking at comparisons, the PT cargo area out does nearly every other car in its size class, and cargo area can be very important for a college kid.  (I had a 62 Chrysler Newport in college, and I had it stuffed to the gills a couple of times when I was either moving, or had other students traveling with me.  We packed the trunk like it was a suitcase.)

I like the 'retro look' style, but they just didn't go quite far enough to make it look REALLY great.  The fenders should be more rounded, w/o those creases.  The rear should have more curve to it.  

Oh, talk about a wierd looking car, I saw a new stretched PT on a trailer once at a filling station.  They didn't do a very good job of working with the curves, and it looked pretty bad.

• Like 1