The Phoenix is awakening / B3B Rises from the Ashes

Paul, even Rusto type enamel, rolled on with sponge rollers would not be too bad, just to protect metal, and give her 1 nice blue color. Hey but it's your truck, your say, and your desire, that's what really counts. Any direction you choose to go, I bid you good luck, and all the best.....

Paul;

Put's a tear in my eye. :( I know how hard you worked on it.

Well if you didn't have patina before......you sure as heck have it now. A buddy of mine has a small fabrication business on the side he calls "the rust farmer" He sprays his metal work down with some solution and allows it to form rust and scale. Then he washes it down and leaves it the way it is. Some of his stuff has been outdoors for 10-15 years and it pretty much looks the same as it did when it was new. Honestly I think it might look kinda cool this way. Maybe just let it go a sort of rust brown...with a little of the old blue showing through...and then paste wax it.....or even a coat of Thompsons water seal now and then?

You can call it "aged" instead of patina.

What ever you end up doing ..... as long as you enjoy it ..... that is all that matters.

Jeff

Went to the lawn mower shed where I thought my new harness from EZ was stored. WRONG:(  It must have been in the fire! Add $190.00 to the items lost list. So I just now printed out a copy of the wiring diagram; got some homework to do.  

It's going to get a new color, my daughter is here first of May, we'll decide. I like this one. 

Verynicesteelgraytruck_zps19ee9d2f.jpg

Metal is interesting and it is also interesting how much one can 'feel' when working with it. After some time one can feel if the surface is metal, rust, paint, etc. For example, the tops of the front fenders were sun baked. When I wet sanded them the first time they responded / felt like porcelain. In that the surface was not rusty and did not allow sand paper to cut through. But since the fire, these fenders are porous and rusty. The surface has changed significantly. 

However where there was solid paint, the paint is still there but without the color pigment. It sands down to a nice soft dull black. The color that is popular these days. I could fine sand the truck, prime and paint the areas where the fire was direct and leave areas like the passenger door and side and have an interesting surface. Then highlight areas with some chrome and a touch of red somewhere and. . . you get the idea.

Phoenixpassengersidefender_zps1ff2924e.j

• Like 1

Ok.....I'm heading down to Paul's on tuesday to pick up his truck and trailer it to the BBQ.

I called his wife and we talked about the weekend and what to expect for the for their stay.

I also I asked her to tell Paul,... I wanted her to see the reaction/smile on his face. ^_^

48D

To all: I will repaint the truck. Our daughter, to whom I've given it, will be here in May. She will chose the color.  It has a three on the tree, and I have an overdrive and a Hy-drive. Which of the three would you chose?

Paul, I reckon that it's a good thing that you're painting the Phoenix. You must have impressed so many people with the truck that they are all starting to copy your PP paint job - check out the last 2 vehicles which have been listed on our Ebay sightings section...  :D I do like the look of that silver truck at post # 28.

post-3915-0-39336500-1396301757_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-33002300-1396301775_thumb.jpg

Edited by Desotodav

"...and I have an overdrive..."

If you're thinking about the OD for the Pilothouse talk to John T.  He did much research before settling on the T5.  I'm still holding onto fantasies of an OD, but I know there are some major issues, especially with a Fluid Drive setup.  Maybe John will "publish" his findings some day...

Ask you daughters preference as she will Be the driver!

Maybe a flattened clear coat as is!!!  Sand and then clear, undercoating after some cleaning.

Think of the stories she can tell about her dad's truck rebuild journey Now that's it's hers!

Glad to see that the truck wiil make the BBQ after all!

Doug

Fried surface refinishing test:

A 'fried' surface wet sanded smooth then treated with phosphoric acid to stop rust, then wet sanded and finally clear coated gives a spectacular marble finish. With the clear coat it shines like an Italian walkway.  I will likely paint this in the future, but I'm going to do some experimenting in the mean time. No one, but no one will have this finish. It requires a good hot fire to bake the metal.

Phoenixwithclearcoattest001_zps2b55a954.

Note  different surfaces: hood wings, and grille clear coated, center of hood wet sanded, fenders. . . 

Phoenixwithclearcoattest002_zpsd3e3a6c1.

Full pic with 2" rake. It was raining when I took this.

Phoenixwithclearcoattest003_zps8da05038.

Yup-but with a little more character.  She's a survivor.  To me the value is in its history, and the resurection.  I do think I'd do something to make the interior finished.   I found that that is conducive  if you want your better half to go for a ride.

'

It is going to be very interesting. This, passenger's side, will have a lot of color as will the bed but the marble effect will 'blend' up to the top of the cab, across the entire front and around to the driver's side fender and door. The bed on the driver's side will be color but much more black then blue.  

This is going to be WILD. 48Dodger is picking it up in the morning to trailer it to the BBQ so I won't be able to continue for a time. "The Phoenix" will not have an original patina finish but it will have a "uniquely original" finish!

Phoenixwithclearcoattest003_zps8da05038.

Tim picked up "The Phoenix" this morning and it is now on the way to his place.  I just hope this wasn't a guise to junk it so the forum would not have an embarrassing 'patina' truck in its library.

PhoenixtotheBBQ001_zpsb718da6e.jpg

I thought this was going to part of the drawing for a old truck at the BBQ? Heck I bought 10-$10 tickets from Tim, proceeds supposed to be given to you to buy a newer truck with paint!  :o

See ya there Paul!

Doug

I thought this was going to part of the drawing for a old truck at the BBQ? Heck I bought 10-$10 tickets from Tim, proceeds supposed to be given to you to buy a newer truck with paint!  :o

See ya there Paul!

Doug

Doug;

Shhhhh..........I heard Tim is busy making it into a Smoker and companion for the BBQ he already has. :D

Jeff

I think he's taking the DA to it as we speak, and taking ALL the paint off it, putting it in primer so you guys attending the BBQ can spend your day blocking it out and prepping it for fresh paint.

• Like 1

Tim is going to have it all painted real prettty in one color for the BBQ.

So no more Patina drama :(

Bob