The Phoenix is awakening / B3B Rises from the Ashes

I am going to start a thread on the rebuilding of my truck. I will continue updating on the building but I think this now should be separated out.  Tomorrow I will remove all wiring and on Friday the goal is to install the kit from EZ Wiring. I'll have a very capable helper so that will expedite things. I hope to have it road safe by the end of next week which means: wiring, tires, glass, basic interior needs, like a seat, controls, and a substitute steering wheel. I have two basic ones, so will use one of them. 

So here we go! Here is what I have today. I've got to get the mechanicals an some of the cosmetics done SOON so I can drive it to the BBQ April 5th with my Granddaughter. 

Garagefiretruckremoval003_zps61a237de.jp

Trucksteamcleaned003_zps8f13f893.jpg

Trucksteamcleaned002_zps4a60b56b.jpg

• Like 2

Egads! Done by April 5th? Color me amazed.

Let me know how you like the wiring kit. Just got my '53 B4B and saw a lot of original wiring left. That will probably have to go some day.

Good Luck with your " New " Project, I look forward to many pictures and lots of progress in the next few weeks. Hate to see you do things again, That is the ONLY way to make sure you have a reliable truck once again.

I'm starting to transition from demolishing the building to fixing the truck. On Thursday last, I removed most of the wiring, all under the dash and most in the engine compartment. With a new pair of side cutter pliers, that is not a difficult job. Also removed the gauge clusters which will go to Keven.

I checked the battery, it is fine so I had it charged up, checked the battery ground and hot wire and they appear to be OK, yet they are copper inside so. .  will not trust them for long. Then installed a new electric fuel pump and hot wired to the distributor. Then I pushed my luck and pressed the starter post. The starter worked but slowly, I thought it would spin the engine. ??? Poor battery cables??? But it did not start.

Before the next attempt I'll do a full electrical check from the battery to the plugs.  I suppose I should also rebuild the carb.

Any other suggestions are invited. I will eventually put in new spark plug wires, etc., but was just a bit curiousl

Question. I would like to post smaller pictures. The large ones are just too imposing. I post out of Photobucket, instructions are invited. 

Once the building is DOWN and the slab pressure washed, I will put up a temp tarp shop, clean up my tools, and focus on the truck while plans are approved and until building materials are on the premises. 

(to be continued)

Did you load test the battery after a full charging of the battery?

What was the voltage reading of the battery after sitting for a couple hours? Should be 6.4-6.6 volts.

A refractometer or a battery hydrometer test (Specific gravity test) maybe should be done on each cell considering your battery has gone through the hottest event of it's life.

If you made sure the cables and cable connections at the battery and starter and block are good then either the starter got heat damaged or the battery did. I would think the battery to be more likely to be the cause of slow cranking.

You might want to try another good fully charged battery. I'd buy a new battery to be safe.

Jeff and Dodgeb4ya: I didn't check anything, just did a curious test. Will do all that you've suggested later this week. The Distributor may not have enjoyed the heat either. I won't spend too much time chasing ghosts. If starting is bothersome, then a lot of new electrical will go on when we put the harness on.

Going to be a busy week. I sure do envy that blue truck with the chrome grille. 

The distributor probably is OK as long as the external rubber gasket at the  outside wire connector is not crispy.

The coil probably needs replacement though. It might have got a tad hot!

Bob

A heated copper wire can become oxidized when cooled (blackish). The oxidization will effect conductivity. If you've got the parts, switch them out. If they are really bad they could even start a fire. Not kidding.

New materials are arriving. Glass seals from Roberts came today, a complete gasket set for another engine is in the corner, the new 6 volt fuel pump is on the truck, and all the tools I could find are in a rotisserie steam pressure cleaner. May pull the truck to the slab on Thursday where I have control and start in. Will construct a tarp shade to work under while materials for the garage are on order. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit off schedule but now it's focus time. Got to get it quiet enough so my wife will come along to the Q. We need to start a ladies' aux.   

Current condition: 

Garagefiretruckinalleyhooddowntirechange

Will pull it on the former garage slab today and get to work. Got the wiring kit here in my office,  new gauges and tail lights, from Kevin,  on the shelf; full wheel covers on the way; new window seals on the floor, and seats in the front garage. Could use a pair of external mirrors, any style, an ignition switch, headlight and panel switches, a pair of fuzzy dice, a hula girl for the dash, a 3 on the tree shift knob, an after market turn signal switch, and a pair of 'kick arse' mud flaps  .(optional) 

But I think I can get it done with what I have. The most work will be to get decent sound proofing and insulation done. That can take a bit of time. I'm thinking of double layer bubble wrap for the BBQ then something permanent later.  So, won't be this nice, but . . . you get the idea.

Verynicesoftblacktruck_zps0f0659d2.jpg

Edited by pflaming

Paul, take your time,  As much as I want to see your truck, I don't think anyone wants to see you cut corners in a hurry to "get it done" for whatever reason.  Maybe you hold off on some of the stuff, get ti road worthy, meet up with us at the BBQ and finish off the rest after!  I know I'm not too worried about sound deadening when I see it!  :)

I agree with Mark.....if you don't finish....no harm done. You've been dealing with a lot it seems with the insurance guys, the building, the family, etc. Just enjoy yourself and build the truck you want. 

48D

The advice from this forum has taught and led me to what I know today, so I will yield to what Mark and 48D have advised and work at a less focused pace/schedule.  

The upside is that I will not only bring Chloe but Darlene and our grandson Zack. A couple of bicycles for the kids would be appreciated.

Paul  

PS: I will showcase my latest Mopar purchase at the Q instead of the rebuilt truck. Come and see!

Edited by pflaming

When I told Darlene I was not going to try to get the truck ready because several forum members cautioned me against that, she said to tell you a BIG BIG THANK YOUl.

Well the truck IS back home. Out of curiosity, I checked the level of the gas in the red Gerri can. It is about 1/3 full, the plastic hose to the engine did NOT melt, so the passenger side of the truck did not get that hot.   Nice to have it back where I have control.  I built a scaffold for a tarp work space. Now to get some workable tools.  

GarageTempShade001_zps39609ad1.jpg

GarageTempShade002_zps5900ba2e.jpg

Edited by pflaming

Nice to have Phoenix home. I cleaned the dash, removed the switches, etc., etch primed white the back side of the dash, the did some prep work on the body. On the passenger door and fender I scoured then wet sanded with 400 grit. On the hood, I removed melted rubber scabs, etc with a sharp putty knife, the most of the surface as well, before I took a scour pad and 400 grit to it.  Then I coated the hood with 3:1 ratio of water and phosphoric etching acid, let it work for 30 minutes and washed it off.

When I sanded the truck the first time, it became like Christmas because I was constantly getting better color and more of them. This time there is little color so it was the first 'down' day since the fire. Nicely painted vehicles are beautiful but I don't want that, the look I had was a real conversation getter.  So I don't know what I will do. But cleaning will reveal what is available to work with.

Saturday a friend is coming over and we will install the new wiring harness from EZ. For that reason I worked on the dash today. So here are some pics.

This pic shows all the different 'finishes' I've got. On roof is rubber from a melted composition single.

Phoenix1stsanding002_zpse7b436ea.jpg

The hood in two stages. The center has only been  washed off, the passenger side hood has been scoured, wet sanded with 400 grit, then treated with phosphoric acid.

Phoenix1stsanding003_zps86ee457e.jpg

Tomorrow will try to start the engine and get ready for the wiring harness. 

The Dash. May not even paint it, just wet sand with 800 grit, and clear coat. 

Fire: It is interesting that heat will take the color out but not damage the paint too much. No flames reached the dash, the speedo inside was/is in tact. This speedo and gauge cluster are new from Keven, Thank you!  the damaged ones are going to Keven at the BBQ. There was some fire, not for long on the firewall. Bubble wrap burns quickly and fast. Won't use that again.

Insulation should really be fireproof. If one gets into an accident and a small fire starts outside, insulation should protect the passengers for a time. 

Phoenixblackdash002_zps27060454.jpg

Edited by pflaming

Glad you are making progress. I know you like the patina look but I think your truck is at the stage where is needs and deserves a paint job of some kind. There are lots of threads on painting with rustoleum and getting a decent finish. I really think your truck is beyond the spray the burnt areas with clear coat stage.

• Like 2

Glad you are making progress. I know you like the patina look but I think your truck is at the stage where is needs and deserves a paint job of some kind. There are lots of threads on painting with rustoleum and getting a decent finish. I really think your truck is beyond the spray the burnt areas with clear coat stage.

I agree, and this is the time to do it. Sand this baby down to clean steel, spray on epoxy primer, either go all the way, or as mentioned, spray on some type of enamel.

I am not sure what you may be allowed to use as paint in the state of California, for at home use.

I am not a real huge fan of patina ether, some I like, but not to many.....

Oh I do hear what you are saying bit to paint may be as hard as to see fire.  Here are a couple more shots. I coated the driver's side with prime and etch from Home Depot. Will do one more treatment then wet sand and see what I have.

Got a price on all new glass. $385.00 installed, I supply the seals, which I have.  

BUILDING UPDATE: Upon the city's approval, I will order a metal building. I do not have to install that. 

Phoenixdashandpassengerside002_zps1151a8

Phoenixdashandpassengerside003_zps47bbb3

Edited by pflaming