Started the teardown, and now the build up.

casper50

1 hour ago, Jim Yergin said:

I was very happy with the results. I probably did it 8 or 9 years ago. I sold the car a couple of years ago but they still looked good when I sold it. I used a second hand Chicago Electric powder coating gun that I bought on eBay.

Jim Yergin

Thank you. I have been avoiding buying one of those guns because it seemed to be too much of a good thing at a good price,but now I know better.

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2015 at 0:30 PM, deathbound said:

.....and pay for something, then get strung along for months on end, send unanswered e-mails, make unanswered phone calls....etc,etc.

I was thinking of going to the Plymouth Doctor for my replacement panels, is that not a good idea?

• 3 months later...

Went to the DMV yesterday to register the coupe with an original 1947 license plate. Before I went I phoned and was told that I had to have a front plate. In 47 they only made one plate and it was made out of soy.  I came up with the bright idea to make one out of an old clipboard. It looks similar to the soyboard but stronger. I had a sign maker paint it and digtally reproduce the lettering and numbers. The very nice lady that I dealt with at the DMV told me that the oldest plate that they had codes for was 69 and that replica plates were not allowed.  When I told her that they only made one plate per car for 47 she went to her supervisor.  They called the DMV director, who looked at photos of the replica and original and said do it.  He'd personally put a note in my file saying that he authorized it.  They also phoned the main DMV to get a code to enter the year in the computer.  While I was there I permanently registered it for an additional $30.  That way I will not face a hassle in the future.  

1st is the original, 2nd and 3rd are the copies.  I'm going to keep the original soyboard one in the glovebox and run both replicas until they tell me that I can't.

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

• Like 4

'Casper,

I like your style, and your choice of car! Old plates add to the 'aura' of old vehicles.

IMG_2563.jpg.e1b702e2f408fc4aa14f044eb91bfd1a.jpg

IMG_2565.jpg.69dd8a010b64f29ba3c2141802ee5d74.jpg

My plate situation is a little different, though. My L.A. built coupe is still wearing the mandatory '63 black & yellow CA plates that it received sixty-four years ago.

The '67 Barracuda coupe in the background has had CA 'UNB-727' since March of '67. That is the only license plate that it has ever had. A one in a billion shot, yes it does have a B-motor & a 727 transmission!

Walt 

"Soy plates" in ALASKA?

I'm guessing that not many survived for very long.

KH they are pretty darn hard to find.  Of course one popped up on ebay this morning that is in nicer shape than mine but the numbers are crooked for some reason. Slightly less than what I paid for mine also.    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alaska-ANTIQUE-license-plate-1947-Fiber-board-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-8-5x5-5/132417961738?hash=item1ed4b9bf0a:g:Ni8AAOSw1QpaIIXF

D49 love those fat fendered big butt coupes.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally the new Coker wide white tire saga is almost over.  Bought 5 new Cokers last week of May.  A trucker buddy was suppose to bring them up within a month.  Well the month turned into 6 and he finally just decided to use his discount with a shipping company and send them and a 55 Pontiac transmission up to me.  They arrived 13 days ago in Anchorage at a transport company.  My "buddy" said it would be around $420.  Company phoned me and said $3800.  I just about sh*t a brick.  Come to find out the place my buddy dropped the shipment off didn't put the quote number on the paperwork.  Took me, my buddy and the lady in the shipping company 11 days to get it straightened out.  They are ripping people off big time.  Found a local guy about 3 miles away to mount and ballance with new chrome valve stems for $75.  Did a great job, no marks on the power coated rims or whitewall at all.  Will have to wait untill the new year to put them on.  Visiting our son and daughter in Aurora for the holidays.  I think that they are too plain.  I need to have pinstripes as per original put on.

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

Edited by casper50
  • Like 2

'Casp,

The tires and wheels really look great. I agree with you, though, a factory style triple stripe will liven up the package!

Walt

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, casper50 said:

Still haven't found a pin stripper that is willing to do it.  I guess I'll have to try it myself.

I wish you luck.  I know if I tried it,I would end up with wheels looking like they were bent and wobbling down the road.

That was the method I used to do the striping when I painted my wife's motorcycle.  It works quite well and the advantage is you can get the tape right where you want it before you paint the stripes.  You will still want to use a pin striping brush so you can can lay down long lines and get a smooth finish but they are not expensive.

5a4d3a733b430_2015-10-1922_05_16.jpg.fef52de5a4f27d3c0abb376fdaef78aa.jpg

If you use one shot it dries pretty quick, I pulled the tape as soon as the paint was dry to the touch.  Maybe 20 minutes at the most.  I also just used the blue fineline tape.  I put one strip of tape where I wanted the line and then applied a stripe of tape to either side, I pulled the center stripe of tape and got to painting.

13 minutes ago, casper50 said:

bought some tape pinstripes just to check out how green stipes would look instead of red.  Not a fan of red pinstripes.

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

How did you get the tape to make a circle without kinking?

Would it be possible to find thicker tape? I can barely see it,and what I do see looks like one solid line.

You sure did do a nice job of installing it!

• Like 1

I cut out a cardboard circle that rests on the first step of the rim, then cut out an inner circle where I wanted the stripes to line up.  Penciled a line and followed it with the tape.

here's the only photo that I have of the original stripes.  They are quite thin.  Just trying to keep it looking stock.

IMG_1393.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, casper50 said:

I cut out a cardboard circle that rests on the first step of the rim, then cut out an inner circle where I wanted the stripes to line up.  Penciled a line and followed it with the tape.

here's the only photo that I have of the original stripes.  They are quite thin.  Just trying to keep it looking stock.

IMG_1393.jpg

Thanks for the technique tip.  You really do nice work.