Started the teardown, and now the build up.

casper50

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just yesterday I called my tail pipe company for an estimate on my 53 suburban. $150+/- for a single pipe and California is not the least expensive state. 

Edited by pflaming

can u spin your  completed car on the  rotisary ? you can  buy generic  kits  from summit  or  jegs or speeed way motors, if u have a mig welder, or  use  those super wide  flat  stainless clamps you can  do your own exhaust....or maybe  do what u can  if  u want tails  have the shop  bend the tails,,,

Put PB blaster and some Marvel oil down the cylinders a week ago.  Seemed to do the job.  Turned over by hand on the fan when I got the sheet metal out of the way.  Still had one valve stuck.  Worked it a bit and it started working also.

Casper--your progress is very encouraging, keep up the good work!  I was looking at pics of when you removed your cylinder head and am wondering what you used to get the deck and valve tops so clean?  Thanks.

For my last exhaust project I picked up all the pipe on my own, made careful measurements of bend locations and degrees and ends to be expanded (double and triple checked), and marked up the pipe. I took the works to a local shop and tossed them a few bucks to make the bends as I watched/instructed. When I got home I slapped it all together and welded it up. I don't know if that is an option for you but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Heck, you could even use swimming pool noodles for about $1 each to mock it all up and make sure your routing is sound before moving on to the pipe.

• Like 2