Started the teardown, and now the build up.

casper50

• 2 weeks later...

You must have gone thru a ton of sand. Excellent work. You will feel good knowing you did it right when its done.

In etching primer.  Glad this one is done.  It's by far the worst one for heavy surface rust.  My little sandblaster just don't chew it's way through it very well.

Yah,you say that,but I'm betting you won't have this one on the road for very long before you are looking for a new one. Preferably a rusty one.

NOBODY does work that good that doesn't like the challenge and enjoy doing the work.

Are  you going to redo the wood grain on the dash?

yes, dash and window trim.  Not to original but in a burl.

I,for one,will be watching that one with great interest.

Fortunately for me on my 46 convert they didnt use the woodgrain but painted it brown.  Really dont know why as woodgrain would have looked better.

Fortunately for me on my 46 convert they didnt use the woodgrain but painted it brown.  Really dont know why as woodgrain would have looked better.

That's really odd because the convertibles  and the stationwagons were their most expensive models.

All P-15 convertibles have a painted dash. P-15 woody wagons are wood grained. 

Thanks,Don.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that the woodgrain would not stand up to direct sunlight and exposure to the weather. 

Maybe,but it's just paint,so why wouldn't it stand up as good as regular paint?

BTW,I am NOT denying you are right,I'm just asking because I don't know.

I'm guessing that the woodgrain would not stand up to direct sunlight and exposure to the weather. 

Its because the dash on a convertible isn't removable.

Its because the dash on a convertible isn't removable.

Thanks! I'll be damned! Never heard of such a thing before.

Most likely to stiffen up the cowl area,but wouldn't bracing have been a better way to go?

Convertible dash not removable.  Now that makes some sense.  Stiffens the cowl.  Paint the instrument panel with the body.  The woodgrained stuff gets done separately, in manageable pieces, and is installed later. 

But it must have been a real bear to install the instruments, moldings, wiring, etc., with the dash in place. 

I'm guessing that, in either case, the dash board was completed in the Briggs body plant. 

Of course, this is merely wild speculation.

I have been following your build and your comments on this project. I admire your work. I have a similar car and would like to follow your lead on the wood grain process you will use. When you reinstall the dash, what type of wiring harness will you use?

I got lucky and found a NOS original wiring harness on ebay for $150.  Still in the original boxes.  Outer cloth looks and feels fine.

Got a few more parts blasted and primed.  I can see the daylight at the end of the sandblast tunnel.

post-6321-0-86426300-1452460278_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-97027800-1452460287_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-85255600-1452460297_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-73797900-1452460310_thumb.jpg

I got lucky and found a NOS original wiring harness on ebay for $150.  Still in the original boxes.  Outer cloth looks and feels fine.

Got a few more parts blasted and primed.  I can see the daylight at the end of the sandblast tunnel.

Un,huh. I bet it will be less than a year before you are bugging me to sell you the World's Rustiest 42 Dodge Business coupe.

I hate to break your heart,but it won't be for sale as long as there is any hope of me being able to work on it.