Started the teardown, and now the build up.

casper50

I really like the rollover setup. I had to design several very heavy duty rollover trunions for welding Manlift boom hoist chassis, where were were dropping 500lb counterweights into a 3500 lb weldment.

They had hydraulics to raise the fixture, and to roll it over.

It'd be nice to have one of those now... :)

I'm thinking I might just weld a simple box jig onto my car so I can roll it in steps, but not all the way over. Just enough for comfortable welding on the bottom.

• 1 month later...

The engine is back from the machine shop.  A new friend, a hot-rodder and machinist, did the machine work and helped me reassemble it.  Right before I took these photos I remembered that I forgot to put the rear freeze plug in.  So I now have to remove the transmission again. It will go back together much quicker this time since I now know that the tranny bolts and rear crankshaft holes are not equally spaced.  The engine is dark green not blue.  Camera flash washed it out.

post-6321-0-54762500-1422639511_thumb.jpg

Caspar,  Great job!  i used to drive a 48 Dodge 3 window coupe back in the 1980s and loved it!  Love that side opening hood.  Are those red lines on the frame brake lines?  Are you going to weld in new rocker panels?  The originals looked roached.  Great body holder too!  You must be a professional mechanic. 

frame paint is professional grade rustoleum. Red lines are brake lines.  I was able to buy a pair of original rockers, body braces and 18" of floor from a junk yard in Colorado.  Then torched them out of a parts car for me.  That's the next project.  Made the rotisserie from plans off of the internet. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did the first start of my rebuilt engine last night.  Still have to adjust the valves and rebuild the carb and put a timing light to it.  Mine doesn't seem to be working at the moment.  Need to find another bsvd-3 so I can put my dual carb setup on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXn8G3CFND0

Edited by casper50

• 2 weeks later...

Made new plug wires and did some little things on the engine.  Waiting on my rocker panels and floor replacement panels.

Looks good. You might want to check your alternator bracket to insure you have battery box clearance. I had to add a couple of lower off set pieces to re-position the alternator to clear the box.

altin1.jpg

4.jpg

Bracket1.jpg

• 1 month later...

I really like this thread. Fantastic job you are doing. I have a 47 nash coupe that needs lots of rust repair to the uni body on the drivers side. I can't find any one doing this as you are. Any one know of any thread to help me would be great. Like i said , i think you are doing a great job and i will be fallowing along as i like your car and the work you are doing.

pete

• 2 weeks later...

I received two packages in the mail yesterday.  The first one contained the new headers that Moose made and I had ceramic coated.  The second one contained my custom air cleaner.  The carb on the left is an extra.  The two that I've had powder coated will go on.  One is on the original intake that is mounted on the engine for running purposes at the moment.

post-6321-0-25487300-1429276723_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-92072700-1429276734_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-39246700-1429276744_thumb.jpg

Edited by casper50
  • Like 1

Looking good Casper, dragging all the underseal and primer off the floor is a right PITA - must have taken a while! I'm doing it on one of my old VW vans with a scraper and it is evil :huh: - on my Dodge I have found a "needler" air tool works well for the wax as it is old and crusty - just when you hit a part of the frame which is old and crusty as well, you know about it as the needler punches lots of holes in it :eek:

Headers look good, was thinking about getting something similar made up over here as the chances of finding a split manifoild are zero :(

I have added some more pics to my build thread on the ongoing rocker repairs, looking forward to seeing how yours goes on when they arrive

Cheers,

Paul.

• Like 1