Pilothouse gas tank

I Just purchased a 1950 dodge pickup it has been stored for twenty years in a barn in Sacramento. I have started with the fuel system first and have drained and blown out the tank with air replaced the the rubber hoses on the gas line. I have also replaced the fuel pump and carberateor along with cleaning the sediment float bowl. I refilled the tank and turned it over more than several times and can not get any gas to pump into the fuel filter bowl any help would be apprreciatted.

Do you have gas flow out of the line at the fuel pump? If the line is full of air the pump may not be able get primed. Or the line may be plugged. Try to put air into the tank (low pressure) to bleed the fuel line up to the pump, then try it again. Or if the line is plugged, try blowing air from the pump end back into the tank. You may have some rust plugging the end inside the tank.

Merle

Drop the gas line that is closest to tour carb.(I usualy use 2 to 3 bottlels of rubbing alchohol in tank).I also install as much as three temparary filters.Dropping the line will let you know you have gas flow. The alcohaol will help whith cleaning tank.I Am Not Very Good At Typing.YOU are going In The right Direction.I seen a person an this forum that has a great way To Clean a tank. I Will Let him Chime in.I THINK YOU TANK IS STILL CLOGGED

Varnish, deposits and other gunk can totally obstruct the gas line inside of the gas tank. These deposits will get hard and stubborn after many years of sitting. This method will clean the line and the inside of the tank. It is relatively easy and cheap if you are willing to do the work yourself. Remove the tank. Pour out the gas. Rinse with water. Fill it 1/3 full with water. Light up both burners on a coleman stove and boil the water in the tank for an hour or so. Check gas line periodically by shooting compressed air into the tank via the gas line connection on the end. You will be able to hear the bubbles when the obstruction has cleared. If this does not work, then add powdered lye to the water. Be careful and be prepared - lye in hot water reacts violently for the first few seconds. Add the lye by the spoonful until you have a cup or so. Continue to boil and check with compressed air. The heat and lye combination will eventually dissolve deposits. Then just rinse the tank and dry it and you are ready to go.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

After coming back and refilling the tank with clean gas and draining again. I removed the tank and found the top right corner rusted out and the inside full of a large amount of gunk. I guess I am at the point of looking for a new or replacement gas tank would anybody have a direction or any idea where to look. I am in Eugene Oregon.

Guest Dave Claussen

Don't get your hopes up for a new tank. Many have searched and there is not an "exact replacement" tank made that we have found. That's not to say that another tank could not be made to fit. It just seems like no one out there is willing to make a "new" tank for these trucks. This is one of the parts that are very difficult to find in good condition. Don't give up on your old tank yet. There are some good repair options that many here on the forum have tried with success. If you use the search tool at the top of the forum page and type in gas tank repairs or something similar you should get plenty of threads that go over the some of the fixes others have used. Good Luck.

Thanks Dave for the info I ended up taking it to a local radiator shop that specializes in repair and coating of old tanks. They do not advertise this but do quite a lot of it. I am currently waiting for the price though but with very few other choices I will proably pay for it and be happy that it could be repaired.