door glass removal-50 Desoto

50desotocoupe

I need to remove my cracked passenger side door glass and install a new piece.  I read the manual and it said to remove the garnish molding which I have done.  Is it as easy as lifting the glass out of the metal channel at the bottom of the regulator?  Mine isn't budging.  I did spray lubricant on the rail but wanted to make sure I am on the right track.

Thanks

In my p14, you disconnect glass and channel from regulator and remove as a unit. Two clips hold it to regulator.  You remove the clips while the window is in the down position.

Edited by jcmiller

On a 52 Plymouth in addition to removing the clips mentioned which are located on the door skin side of the window, you also need to remove the window channel that goes on the top and aft side of the window. The channel will pull from the top down but is connected in the lower part of the door to a metal channel.

• 8 years later...
On 2/19/2014 at 9:33 AM, suntennis said:

On a 52 Plymouth in addition to removing the clips mentioned which are located on the door skin side of the window, you also need to remove the window channel that goes on the top and aft side of the window. The channel will pull from the top down but is connected in the lower part of the door to a metal channel.

Good morning

im new to this group and new to cars, especially old ones. I’m only a preschool teacher so sorry in advance if I sound lost. 
SunTennis posted this description which is great about removing windows from a desoto. I’m looking for the left and right metal channel that the felt gets pushed into. The 1950 s14 (I think that’s the model) we have doesn’t have these. 
i was going to get the kit on eBay for 800 that has all sorts of weather strip parts. But on my small income, and being new and not a show car, I’m happy to find cheaper ways to experiment. Can I ask any of you to point me in any direction for these metal rails and then any other  economical ways to put the interior back together please. I like the 60 price mentioned for the front window seal - the steel metal company looks great but a bit expensive for me as a novice. 
thx in advance 

aly

On 2/19/2014 at 11:03 AM, wdoland said:

A little off topic...

Has anyone used Andy Bernbaum Auto Parts windshield rubber? Theirs is $60.00 compared to $176.50 from Steele.

A dozen years ago I bought windshield rubber from Bernbaum for my 48 Dodge.  At the time I had fast service and the gasket was pliable and fit well.  I have no recent experience with them. 

On 2/19/2014 at 11:03 AM, wdoland said:

A little off topic...

Has anyone used Andy Bernbaum Auto Parts windshield rubber? Theirs is $60.00 compared to $176.50 from Steele.

I still have to purchase rubber for all of my windows myself.

I will simply share my thought process on buying rubber for my truck with a 2 piece windshield with a center bar.

I do not know what Andy is selling, I have in the past looked at many suppliers & they sell a windshield rubber kit in multiple pieces.

Steeles windshield rubber is all molded into 1 piece.

I can go to Amazon and order a 50' roll of generic auto/marine window rubber gasket for a reasonable price.

I can replace every window in my truck with it. I would have no issues I believe sealing the back window or corner windows would not be bad.

I could also do the front windshield .... I just feel it would leak, I would fix that leak then 6 months later would be another leak .... I would be chasing leaks for years.

I think I would be better off spending the extra money for a 1 piece molded gasket. Does Andy sell a 1 piece? I do not know.

I could be wrong here. I skimp on price every chance I can .... The windshield gasket is one area I would not want to skimp on.

A 41 Plymouth restorer made some good videos around ten years ago on how to do various jobs.  Here is one on replacing the door glass.  It doesn't really say how to remove the old glass, but maybe you can take it to an auto glass shop and have them remove it, and maybe install the new one too.