P15-D24

Mattias78
Go to solution Solved by Uncle-Pekka,

Hi from Sweden

I just bought a 1948 business coupe 3 window!

And i have 2 things you guys mayby can answer!

What is the differens between p15 and d24?

Witch one do i have?

Then i'm thinking of uppgrading to diskbreaks.

And the company prowides 2 different bolt patterns!

Witch do you think i have?

Thanks!

/Mattias

• Like 1

Mattias, gidday from sunny Sth Grafton NSW Australia, these guys on this forum are just what you need to get all the info.........the P15 is the Chrysler Corporation series number for all 1946 to 1948 Plymouths and the D24 number is the same thing for 1946 to 1948 Dodges. I think cars made in Canada may also have a slightly different series numbering system but don't quote me........my understanding is that as your car is a 1948 Dodge it should have the "D24" number at least at the start of the engine number and also on a metal plate somewhere..........lol........forgive me for my uncertainty as I have a 1940 Dodge and know that ones idiosycracies better........lol.........anyway .......welcome aboard....Andy Douglas 

Just to clear things up, the D24 was the 1946-48 119½" wheelbase Dodge (137½" LWB sedans) that shared bodies with DeSoto and Chrysler. 

The P15 was the 117" wheelbase Plymouth that used a smaller body than the Dodge D24.   The P15 was built in Detroit, Evansville, Los Angeles and Windsor, while the D25 was built in Detroit, Los Angeles and Windsor.

Two other models, SP15 and D25, were Plymouth-based cars built in Detroit and Windsor.  The SP-15 was the DeSoto DIplomat Special DeLuxe built for export.   The D25 was built as the Dodge Kingsway Special DeLuxe also for export.   The Canadian Dodge D25, DeLuxe and Special DeLuxe but not called Kingsway, was built in Windsor for the Canadian market.   Back then, the Diplomat and Kingsway were sold in Hawaii as it was not yet a state, and thus export territory.

US-built Plymouths and Dodges used the 23" block flathead sixes while the Canadian-built versions used the 25" block.

You have successfully added a pic to your profile.

To add pic(s) to a thread you can try these methods.

Easiest I find for pics is to scroll down a bit to where you see attach files.

Browse to select pics from your computer files.

The size of the pics will determine how many you can attach in each post.

Other methods available if your pics are hosted on a website.

EDIT:  

Previously posted in another thread

If replying to a post  (even your own)

I find pics from my computer are the easiest. 

In the "reply to this topic" section, look to the right. click "more reply options"

Scroll down to the "attach files" area, then browse your computer pics and attach your file.

You can preview to see if it is to big, too small, or not there before hitting "add reply"

You know...there's nothing wrong with disc brakes. But if one completely rebuilds the drum brakes, new (or rebuilt) wheel cylinders, shoes, rebuild the master, flush the system, adjust them properly, the stock brakes will work pretty darn good.

I know the brakes on my D24 work perfectly, and they were redone as above when I first got the car. So, sometimes I'm a bit puzzled when I find so many people think of disc brakes as a "must".

But again, certainly nothing wrong with them!!!! :)

ken.

Hi from Sweden

I just bought a 1948 business coupe 3 window!

And i have 2 things you guys mayby can answer!

What is the differens between p15 and d24?

Witch one do i have?

Then i'm thinking of uppgrading to diskbreaks.

And the company prowides 2 different bolt patterns!

Witch do you think i have?

Thanks!

/Mattias

Mattias,pre-middle 1950's Dodge series numbers start with a D designation,Plymouth with a P, DeSoto with a DS,and IIRC,Chrysler just has a C.

When you go to buy or look for parts,look for ones to fit a D-24 and you will be golden. Mostly. The D-24 Club coupe has a back seat and windows in the roof behind the doors.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Found the attach option!

So here is the car!

That looks like a really nice and complete one.

Does it run and drive?

Mattias,pre-middle 1950's Dodge series numbers start with a D designation,Plymouth with a P, DeSoto with a DS,and IIRC,Chrysler just has a C.

When you go to buy or look for parts,look for ones to fit a D-24 and you will be golden. Mostly. The D-24 Club coupe has a back seat and windows in the roof behind the doors.

Desoto is "S", not DS

headfront1.jpg

You know...there's nothing wrong with disc brakes. But if one completely rebuilds the drum brakes, new (or rebuilt) wheel cylinders, shoes, rebuild the master, flush the system, adjust them properly, the stock brakes will work pretty darn good.

I know the brakes on my D24 work perfectly, and they were redone as above when I first got the car. So, sometimes I'm a bit puzzled when I find so many people think of disc brakes as a "must".

But again, certainly nothing wrong with them!!!! :)

ken.

I agree with you that the original drum brakes work perfectly for normal driving conditions if they are in good condition.

The thing is I think it is now cheaper to just upgrade to new disc brakes that work better than it is to rebuild the original drum brakes. Especially if you have to buy drums.  No doubt you would want drum brakes on a restored car so in that case the extra expense would be worth it to score show points,but I think most of the people here drive their cars fairly often. Even the restored ones.