ram ornament

small wheels turn faster, I'd say it'd try to put out more juice.

For the PH trucks there is really only ONE proper ornament, see below.  They did change casting numbers around '51, but I think the discussion here is that there is no difference between the castings.

20121012_173559.jpg

I can remember which year it stopped being a standard option. 

Wonder if there's a relation to the castings.

48D

I think we decided here it was '50 or '51 and that's when the casting number changed...gonna go dig up the old thread here....

http://p15-d24.com/topic/20273-hood-ornaments/?hl=%2Bhood+%2Bornament#entry195070

Edited by ggdad1951

Did cars have similar ones?  Back in 1980 I found one at a junkyard and put it on DC Pete (B1B), the one my son is restoring now.  It is more rounded and does'nt have the red grooves in it.  It fits the slope of the hood perfectly.  I always assumed there was different models. I will stop and get a close up photo.

For what it's worth on the generator pulley...

Air cooled Volkswagen engines have a single pulley which drives the generator and engine cooling fan. They sell a "power pulley" kit which is just a smaller pulley (5.7" v.s. 6.7" diameter). Horsepower is saved (at the risk of overheating) because the cooling fan actually turning less at a given RPM. VW literature makes no mention to electrical problems as a result of using a smaller pulley. I would expect that if your electrical system works properly at an idle you shouldnt have any issue with the smaller pulley.

-Brian

For what it's worth on the generator pulley...

Air cooled Volkswagen engines have a single pulley which drives the generator and engine cooling fan. They sell a "power pulley" kit which is just a smaller pulley (5.7" v.s. 6.7" diameter). Horsepower is saved (at the risk of overheating) because the cooling fan actually turning less at a given RPM. VW literature makes no mention to electrical problems as a result of using a smaller pulley. I would expect that if your electrical system works properly at an idle you shouldnt have any issue with the smaller pulley.

-Brian

Wait wasn't this the "Hood Ornament " Thread ?

Just Kidding...now BOT there is a difference in the profile of the hood for the 48-53 Series and the 51-53 Series (trust me) and there are different P/N's.

Hank  :)

Wait wasn't this the "Hood Ornament " Thread ?

Just Kidding...now BOT there is a difference in the profile of the hood for the 48-53 Series and the 51-53 Series (trust me) and there are different P/N's.

Hank  :)

it must be a SLIGHT difference, because I've bought over 8 ornaments and the one on FEF isn't the "right" casting number bit fits just fine.  I have YET to find a "correct" casting number for a '51+ truck.

thanks for all your good info. I thought the smaller pulley would help with dim lights at low rpms the small pulley has bigger fans should be ok. thanks for hood ornament info. now just find one that is not over priced. and to get up nerve to drill in a hood that has never hat a hood ornament.      on another note  I got anew rear bumper with no dents in priceville ala today he has all 3 hood pieces that have been blasted and primed for $100.00 had a few very small pin holes from blasting easy fix no dents. is on Huntsville and Decatur ala. craigslist. glad to help if some one is interested.  thanks again Robert

I drilled my non-holed hood......it is nerve wracking!  I masked off the area and traced out the profile on the tape and measured/marked the holes.....just take your time!

Before you drill, check the center piece for cracks at the very front of the hinge area and repair if necessary. It will change where the ornament fits best by about a 1/4 inch.

• Like 1

Before you drill, check the center piece for cracks at the very front of the hinge area and repair if necessary. It will change where the ornament fits best by about a 1/4 inch.

don't we know that eh? 

• Like 1

Whatever hood ornament you find, before you chrome it, I suggest do a trial fitment and score a line (a Sharpie will do) then file it to fit your hoods profile.

Hank :)

P.S. Mark I think the 51-53 series Rams are scarcer then hen's teeth.  

Edited by HanksB3B

Whatever hood ornament you find, before you chrome it, I suggest do a trial fitment and score a line (a Sharpie will do) then file it to fit your hoods profile.

Hank :)

P.S. Mark I think the 51-53 series Rams are scarcer then hen's teeth.  

have YOU found one with the right casting number?  I haven't and between the ones I've actually bought and the ones I've looked at on Epay, I've never seen one.

My '52 hood doesn't have any mounting holes. I prefer the no ornament look so won't put one on.  I would if they had made a ram like Mack made a bulldog.  Maybe I can find a "Phoenix" ornament and put that on. 

My 52 hood had holes but when I got the truck it did not have an ornament. The holes looked to be factory made and were slightly elongated for and aft. Since my truck is a deluxe cab fluid drive and already had the holes I figured it must have came with a hood ornament. Found a decent one on ebay for around $30..... it fit so it is there now in as found condition.

At first it took some getting used to......but I am used to it now. :lol: I think it would look naked :eek: without it.

Jeff

Paul;

:D Well?.......I try not to look anymore.

Maybe I should have chosen another word. I will just say it looks like it belongs there........at the very least it is covering up some holes that were already in the hood.

When I first got the truck I wasn't going to bother with one. But over time it sort of started to seem kinda important. It is after all an Iconic symbol of these trucks. And when I found a nice one for $30......well I just said what the heck. Now mind you mine isn't as pretty as Mark's ........ but the neither is my truck. It doesn't look in mirrors either. ;)

Jeff

My '52 hood doesn't have any mounting holes. I prefer the no ornament look so won't put one on.  I would if they had made a ram like Mack made a bulldog.  Maybe I can find a "Phoenix" ornament and put that on. 

there is the car version with the big 3D horns that are out there.  TODD will get one of those.  A member here has that on their truck as well.

From another thread:

"Brad,

There is only one hood ornament. I know the parts books show two, but Dodge didn't actually make two ornaments. I have an NOS hood ornament in the box with the later part number stamped on the box. Inside the box is a obviously NOS ornament with the same casting number as the earlier truck.

I have also pulled a few of these ornaments from 51-53 trucks that were clearly put on by the factory (you can tell by the holes in the hood) and they all had the same casting number as the ones from the 48-50 trucks.

Dodge did that sometimes, they changed the part number in the books, but not the part itself.

My guess is that either your ornament is warped or your hood is bent.

Look carefully and you will figure it out.

Eric"

http://p15-d24.com/topic/27728-my-hood-ornament-doesnt-fit/?hl=%2Bhood+%2Bornament

there is the car version with the big 3D horns that are out there.  TODD will get one of those.  A member here has that on their truck as well.

I haven't been able to find the correct part number for my 53 B4B but I like the way this one looks.

a055d563.jpg

• Like 3

My understanding is, and I may have read it in Bunn or just made it up myself, that after 1950 the hood ornaments were an option installed by the dealer.  Those old enough to remember or who just paid attention in history class will know the Korean conflict (i.e., "police action") started in June 1950.  Thereafter, and for several years, the auto industry "adjusted" to government mandates regarding production.  Things like chrome and aluminum were in short supply.  I suspect, although I don't know for sure, that the hood ornament as standard equipment went the way of the dodo bird...

As an aside, I prefer a "naked" hood on the 51-53 trucks because the grill is already pretty "busy" and the hood ornament just "gets in the way..."

We put the hoods on my sons truck and when I had the bolts finger loose the ram wasn't even close to fitting.  My body guy kept telling to stop looking at it.  Once we tightened and adjusted the fenders, grill and hood the ram fell right into place. 

I too like the big horny ram ornament on the 1951-3 trucks too. It's great for tying a horses rope halter to also.

• Like 2

I too like the big horny ram ornament on the 1951-3 trucks too. It's great for tying a horses rope halter to also.

I tie one horse to the front bumper and one to the rear bumper on lunge lines when the grass gets high around the truck and the hay shed. Our horses are small, but they have pulled the truck off the jackstands when they were both tied to the front bumper...

post-4117-0-01163400-1392276715_thumb.jpg

American Miniature Quarter Horse (Max, the brown one, aka Sir S***s-a-lot) and a Shetland Pony (Boudini, the escape artist paint).

Edited by Scruffy49
  • Like 2