Fire

pflaming

Mike, we are on the same page. I will remove EVERY wire in that vehicle, head light buckets, tail lights, battery cables, etc. I do not like to do electrical so will do it with all new one time and that will be that. Then I will take my starter, generator, coil, regulator to a company who can test all this and confirm that as well. With new electric fuel pump, carburator, distributor, etc., it should fire up on the 2nd rev.  Next week. Still sorting today. Pictures tonight.

If it helps, there's only 26 wires in stock configuration. Number both ends with masking tape and make a char as to what each number wire connects to (simplifies matters)

Good Luck

Hank  :(

P.S. Most of the things I'm doing of late is correcting and improving things that either were installed wrong or rushed through just to get my truck out of the yard and into the body shop. 

Well, as RR used to say,  at long last the garage is coming down. I spent all day tuesday putting salvaged parts into boxes and then ona pallet.  Move them around with a fork lift. In the back yard this morning at 6:30 and spend 5 more hours just carrying things out. By Friday noon, I should have a concrete platform to build on.  

The bin has arrived

Garageiscomingdownpart1001_zps8e372e4f.j

Last items out

Garageiscomingdownpart1003_zps80447a0d.j

Garageiscomingdownpart1002_zpse0ab70d2.j

The garage is coming down, one sledge hammer swing at a time. I'm not doing the work. 

Garageiscomingdownpart1004_zps7090c4f7.j

Phoenix is in the incubator, will soon hatch!

It's coming down. These guys are using heavy hammers, and literally knocking it down. Should be down by Friday noon. What an ordeal, I can not even image what it would be like to clean up a house. This was just a big box. Spoke to my builder today, we'll put together a plan of action middle of next week. 

Garageiscomingdownpart2003_zpsda94c8fa.j

Garageiscomingdownpart2002_zps3a8a51ee.j

Today's progress. Nearly down part day tomorrow then wrap it up on Monday. That bin will be very full, and I hauled six 8' tipsters out before this.  I may just paint the truck starlight white!!!!

Considering were only 17 days after the fire, I think we're doing quite well.

Garagecomingdownpart3_zps1f3c0f5c.jpg

Garagecomingdownpart3001_zps83861740.jpg

Edited by pflaming

Paul,

Your moving right along. Cant wait for you to get your garage up so you can get back to work on your hobbies and fix up that old pick up. Your very well spirited for losing so much

The demolition part is about done. There will be a bit of a lull on this thread while the new building is designed and  drawings approved, the materials to be ordered, etc, etc, etc. I must admit that this is just about as much of this as I want. Monday I will do everything I can to get all the debris in the bin and all salvaged parts into fruit bins and into storage. Then will get back on the drawing board and layout the plans and submit them for approval. Haven't been on a drawing board for some time, but it will come back once I get into it again. 

So, ,  many, many thanks for your support and suggestions. I will now decide what I want and build it.

Garagecomingdownpart5004_zps2078245e.jpg

I retrieved some pergo. It was still wet underneath after three weeks. I washed the boards down, none are warped, none have delaminated. This stuff is TOUGH> 

Garagecomingdownpart5002_zps1c26ac92.jpg

Edited by pflaming

Just an [aside]. I just woke up reading a pm from someone saying to "have the large bin company come look at the load, to see if it is approaching maximum weight. If it is over weight, I would be required to unload some of it".

The interesting part of the pm is that my computer was OFF, so I read that pm in my SLEEP!  Some would probably call that a 'premonition'. Well, I'm going to figure out where I am before I load any more in that bin.

This event has been and continues to be quite an experience. Well it is 2:37 a.m. and I think I will get a few more hours of sleep, if my mind will shut down.

Wishing each of you a great week.

Paul 

Edited by pflaming

Did some figuring before ordering a 2nd bin. A 12" square of stucco and chicken wire weighs around 7#s.  32' x 8' x 2 = 512 sq ft X 7 = 3,584". The roof is 36" x 17 x 2 = 1124#x X 10# = 11,240# . The walls and the roof weigh approximately 14,824# or 7+ tons. The ends and the debris are not included. I ordered a 2nd bin.

Did not finish today. "The best laid plans of mice & ..........". so wrote the poet, who may have been a friend of Murphy.

• Like 1

The final piece of the roof. Took a week to find that!

Garagedemolition631114001_zps99d0f093.jp

We're down to a slab. That is the property line fence. Since the building was declared 70% 'damaged' I can build on this slab. It is 24" from the property line. Now what is amazing is that I can put an 12' x 18" bay on that side of the garage so that that bay will only be 6" from the property line. Thank you "Grandpa". 

Garagedemolitionslabandfence_zps2682d6a8 

Tomorrow I will take down the 30% that was 'good' and life will be sweet! I did not want to take that part down until I had a signed approval to build on the old slab. They will have that for me in the morning, will put that in a 'fire safe' and then take down what I want down.

Met with truss company today, an engineer to officially draw my drawings to submit, the local lumber yard gave me materials costs, so It is getting closer to "GOT MILK"?. 

I don't know how everything sits on your property but if that's the access to the back yard, give yourself enough room to drive through if you can.

Demolition crew did not show so I did some fork lift work to get a large piece of room that fell the wrong way.

GaragedemolitionEastendForklift3_zps7db5

8' fork extenders really help. The log chain allowed me to pull that piece back into the garage proper where I could tear it up and haul it away.

GaragedemolitionEastendForklft21_zps66bd

Now it's under control, we'll get it tomorrow.

I'm working with my neighbor on the 6" space. We can repair from his side.  

Will use that room either as a new entrance or keep it for an office which it was before.

Edited by pflaming

I hate to say this Paul....considering the circumstances... but I'm really enjoying this.

Seeing things move forward for you has been a real lesson for me.

48D

I must have misread you earlier and interpreted the 6 inches as 6 ft.  6 '' may work for the current owner but may not for any subsequent owners and it will be difficult to even construct  and maintain your new building with that little distance between.  Just saying....

Dave: I will reconsider that new distance. 

Today we're down. I washed down the slab!!  :) The edges around the office extension need some careful removal, see stubs at the top, but those are minor. Now to bin up all the items in the back yard. Will do that tomorrow. I put in a whole daze work helping the demo crew finish up. They were WAY in over their heads, but it's down.

Stucco has the chicken wire in it so it is like tearing up a concrete floor that is full of re-bar. That wire does not give, every one of them have to be cut to separate one unit from another and thus break up those walls. Trust me, it is no easy task. Every one of those cut wires is a needle-knife and they cut skin like it is butter, needless to say I lost a little blood today.  

Garagedemolitionhosedoffslabandoffice001 :)  :)  :)

Edited by pflaming

I'm working with my neighbor on the 6" space. We can repair from his side.  

I wonder if you shouldn't work with your neighbor to give you an official easement for maintenance access to his property along the side of the new building.  It would go onto his deed, and any subsequent owners of either property would automatically have the same understanding.

About building that close to a property line - my father-in-law was a builder (retired now, at 92), and he told me once about an architect that cussed him out because he was 3/4" off of the line instead of 1/2", as it had been on the plans.

I wonder if you shouldn't work with your neighbor to give you an official easement for maintenance access to his property along the side of the new building.  It would go onto his deed, and any subsequent owners of either property would automatically have the same understanding.

About building that close to a property line - my father-in-law was a builder (retired now, at 92), and he told me once about an architect that cussed him out because he was 3/4" off of the line instead of 1/2", as it had been on the plans.

whose fence is it?  Here in MN you have to put the "good" side "out" from your property.  from the pictures it would seem to be your neighbors fence?

whose fence is it?  Here in MN you have to put the "good" side "out" from your property.  from the pictures it would seem to be your neighbors fence?

Haven't heard of that here.

I've assumed that the fence was on the property line and I think my neighbors have assumed the same. In our area the neighbors sharing a fence generally split the cost of replacement and the work is done on which ever side has easiest access. Access might vary along the length of the fence. Most of the fences end up being "good neighbor" fences where the design is the same on both sides. But if you and your neighbor agree that one side should have a good side I think that is okay too.

Edit: Just found out that state law actually says both parties are responsible for the fence under most circumstances.

Some typical "both side good" (good neighbor) fence design images can be seen at https://www.google.com/search?q=good+neighbor+fence&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=alkjU8PKHcrxoATssoHACQ&sqi=2&ved=0CCQQsAQ&biw=1364&bih=682

I have been working on city homes and dealing with neighbors for 30 years and I have never had any problems.  I usally talk to the neighbors before I start a job and they always understand I may have to cross over to there land to get my job done.  Last year right here in my little town of Marion I had a situation that I had to cross over the corner of the neighbors to get my snorkel lift in.  The neighbor knows me and has never had any problems or complaints about me or my crews.  I went and talked to him and he "hated" his neighbor so much he refussed me access.  After me begging for 2 days he agreed I could cross the line for $200.00 .  I said if that is the cost of being a good neighbor so be it.  Once I started  the project I soon figured out why he did not get a long with his neighbor, the woman was the most dishonest person I ever came across, I got stuck with not getting paid and I was never happier to finish a job.

I love living in the country, the only fences I worry about are the ones I keep electrified to keep the deer and raccon out of my garden.  The rabbits give me the oppurtunity to shoot them so I can usally keep them under control. Plus I can pee outside whenever I have the need. 

AND apply natural liquid fertilizer when and where ever you feel the need. On this demo job I paid 50% after the first day and the balance at the end. I do not think he would have stayed the distance had I paid in full up front.

I put in four days on top of his work, and when I cashed him out I added a 20 and suggested he buy himself a good meal.

I love living in the country, the only fences I worry about are the ones I keep electrified to keep the deer and raccon out of my garden.  Plus I can pee outside whenever I have the need. 

Just not on the electrified fence!

Update and request: Update: Saturday we inventoried all the items on the lawn put them into boxes, and into a fruit bin. So now the garage is down and all salvaged items ready for storage until their need arises.

Request: I need the entire assembly for the clutch and brake pedals and the master cylinder. I do not care if the master cylinder works but would like to have it in the assembly. This is for my 1954 P 25 Suburban with a 218 cu in flat head. I am willing to pay for this. This is not fire related.

Now will put up a temp tent, pull the truck into that and see if I can get it safe and sane for a nice weekend drive to the BBQ April 4-5. Join us! It's going to be a GREAT ONE!. Then I can get back to the suburban. 

for my 1954 P 25 Suburban with a 218 cu in flat head" .  The pedals on the cars mount to the frame not to the clutch housing,. so thank you drifter but that won't work.