Fire

pflaming

Paul you have nerves of a 18 yo if the center of that super sweet garage had come bending down I could only imagine the next 200 post coming your way. Lol. I reinforced the beams in my garage with 3 2x6 on either side of the rafter wrap the come along around it then with hind site in mind went to Harbor Freight spent $ 99.00 on a engine hoist. Enjoy that garage.

I had that engine and tyranny in the truck and wanted it out. The builder said he could not recommend pulling from one rafter/pipe but that he did it all the time in his shop. Those rafters are NOT tubes, they are 1/4" thick PIPES. But that will NOT be my future mode of operation.

Interior decor guidelines: two shelves on each side wall. The lowest at 6' the top at 10' using 1/12 boards. Anything on the floor will have casters and then not many 'caster' objects. 

Will put a loft with 2x6 joists to have a 7' ceiling on the end opposite the alley door. That loft will be storage for my wife.  I will reinforce the leading joist and hand a winch from that. With the vehicle on dollies I then can maneuver it to pull and place an engine. But it takes time and lots of it. 

I am gaining both on the building and getting the truck running again. New plugs, wires, distributor cap, and then recheck my work per Hank's thread and it should start. It has a new fuel pump and all new wiring, so  that much is done. .

Yosemite the next two days for an overnight trip with the kids from Indianapolis. Will take my Service manual, my Bible, and David McCullough's 700 page book on the history of the Panama Canal  "The Path Between the Seas" along for reading, I'm on page 491 so that is coming along. The kids and wife can explore, I'm going to rest my legs and read.

When all your tools are charred and key small specialty tools are gone, it really frustrates the process, but I'm gaining a tool and a small project at a time. Yet I'm only 100 days away from the fire so. . . not complaining. 

Edited by pflaming

I don't know where you got your information on pipe wall thickness but it is wrong. One quarter inch is .250". If you had schedule 40 pipe (and you do not) it would have to be 3.3 inch pipe to have 1/4" wall thickness. Follow the link below and read the chart. Most likely you have schedule 20 but it could be schedule 10.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/nominal-wall-thickness-pipe-d_1337.html

Wow, I'm been wrong so often lately I'm getting paranoid. Roosevelt told the engineer in charge not to be afraid to make mistakes, just keep doing things and eventually answers would come. Acting only on 'perfect knowledge, he said, often does not accomplish much or takes too long to be useful.

Wow, I'm been wrong so often lately I'm getting paranoid. Roosevelt told the engineer in charge not to be afraid to make mistakes, just keep doing things and eventually answers would come. Acting only on 'perfect knowledge, he said, often does not accomplish much or takes too long to be useful.

From where i sit, you look more blessed than wrong to have such good freinds that care enough about you to say something and keep us all on a safe path. keep those coments comming Paul, i am learning alot (except for the truck painting :))  

Pauls garage might be fabbed up using tubing!!!    A different thickness schedule.

Frank, you are spot on, been on a very different schedule(s) since mid February. I was trying to get the truck running so my daughter from Indianapolis could drive it, but two days in Yosemite, new location of the computer to the new building, a new ipad, etc., has just been too much.

Now will change my focus and get the interior of the new building, and the restoration of my tools under control before I go back to the vehicle(s). Pictures of this phase to follow. Add to that, we leave for four weeks to spend some time in Maine with our son and his family.

This is not a complaint but a reality, the work required to clean up the fire has taken a bit of a body toll on me.  I had my hip x-rayed on Thursday to try to find and solve my leg problems. 

So, yes, I am on a different schedule!  To all, have a great summer, for some that means getting back to cars and projects that have been 'winterized'.  

ps. saw a great unusual car in Yosemite.

Yosemite2104012_zps5384602e.jpg

So, see you on the forum. 

All this stuff is only to place and confirm. Conduit and boxes will be mounted and wires all run according to code tomorrow. Then all the shelves come down and will be painted with the dry wall. Fire stained walls will need to be cleaned / primed with TSP /90 then painted also. So now we're turned the corner and the light at the end of the tunnel is much less likely to be a train.

shop2014002_zps9f9dd6b7.jpg

This wall will become my electronic office. Got some designing to do. I already enjoy the computer in my shop. Got a problem or uncertainty, the computer will only be a few feet away. 

shop2014001_zps2f19fb14.jpg

Edited by pflaming

Electrical code is bare minimum. Did you specify how many electrical circuits, the required amperage for each circuit, the number and placement for receptacles, the number and placement for light fixtures and switching, a sub panel with all of the garage breakers, a 220V circuit for compressed air and a welder, etc. Or are you just taking whatever the contractor gives you?

I am in contact with a licensed electrical contractor. When I reasonable know what I want, then we will lay it out per your questions.. Got to do it correctly thus safely. Take a bit more time now and then rest easy. Same goes for whatever I decide on the winch. 

"per your questions". . . was meant figuratively. I will lay out what I want, then figure our the correct way(s), i.e.,  amps to be used, receptacles, sub panel, fuses etc.,  to make it all work. Regarding a lift, a winch, a cherry picker, all items to be considered. With a long narrow building, a permanent lift would be like putting in a room and I will not give up the floor space I now have, so a properly installed winch will likely be the choice. 

I always take note when someone 'challenges' what I say or think or say without thinking. That is how I've learned so much from this forum. 

Edited by pflaming

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get as much done as I wanted, but the wiring and dry wall are now in place. Some cleanup work on the wiring, plaster and Spackle on the far wall, and wash to paint in the 'office'. Experimenting with color, Darlene will help me with that when we return. Had lots of delays the last three weeks but work when I could. It just doesn't seem like it should take so much time but every switch, outlet, junction, and the organization of what one wants and will WORK  takes time, at least it does for me. .

Now to button it all up and get ready for the East Coast. Not gonna miss this hot valley. 

garageJune92014_zps2baa596e.jpg

I did my walls in white.  The lighter the color, the brighter it will be in there.  It won't be as bright as natural lighting but I've found my eyes keep needing better lighting as I get older.

I did my walls in white.  The lighter the color, the brighter it will be in there.  It won't be as bright as natural lighting but I've found my eyes keep needing better lighting as I get older.

My old house I did the walls in a yellowish color.  really reflected the light. I have always painted the garage floors tan also except this house. I was welding at my old house laying on my back and the arch reflected off the floor and burnt my eyes so this house didn't get coated. But with the bright yellow and those new fluorescent lights my garage was like day light. Neighbor across the street hated it when I worked late nights out there.