Fire

pflaming

UPDATE: Subject to the city's approval, should be no problem, I've decided to go with a metal building. The total cost installed is the same as the materials for a wood frame building. I did some simple latter work yesterday and that was the clincher. Looks then like I'll have a new building end of May or early June.  It will have 10' walls a ceiling for a full lift centered in the building, and a 10 X 12' door in one end. It will be fully insulted. It has a conventional roof with rain gutters at the eves. 

Owners out here put in florescent light fixtures, leave them on 24/7 in the winter and the building is always warm. I like that.  

My new building will look similar to this. Mine will have a 12' X 10' door on the end. It has a pipe frame on 36" centers. The pipes go to the peak so the clearance is very good. Some have asked so here is a near picture. I will do as a friend has done. He has his work bench, tool box, etc on casters so he can configure his work space to meet his immediate need. I like that, should be easier to keep things clean and organized. 

I really appreciate all the input into buildings, this has become quite an adventure for me. So thank you!

AmericanCanopyGarage_zpsd0caabaf.jpg

I agree, No wheels for the work bench. You don't want your vice to be moving around while you have a 3' helper bar on the end of the pipe wrench trying to remove a rusted part from another, or have to put a foot on the bench while sawing thru something. Tool box and storage boxes on wheels are a good Idea.

Paul;

I agree in general with what others have said regarding a wheeled work bench. But having something you can move around has it's advantages too. In my opinion you can have your cake and eat it too.

I have built some very heavy work bench's that have wheels.....but can be jacked up and put on blocks which are covered with a non slip pad. The heavy the better. As long as you use decent casters they can be moved around on a concrete floor when you need to move them. I like to add a few hundred pounds of sand in an enclosed base section as this gives the bench a very solid feel when up on the floor blocks. Also you can install reusable floor anchor bolts for free standing bench's that need to be moved from time to time. Again the heavier the bench the better.

Jeff

After reading these three suggestions I am reminded that oft times a bench is also an anvil. So I will build a good one probably attached to the floor and the wall. 

We've got a smaller bench in our component rebuild shop at work that has solid (non swiveling) casters at one end and fold down handles at the other end. This bench is all steel and very sturdy, and with the wheel/handle configuration it can be moved around like a wheel barrow.

I recently built 2 work benches for my shed. The one without the shelves underneath (now has 4 spare engines living under it) took 4 guys to move it into place. I made the other one as a parts rack/mobile bench and am yet to fit the removable 4 inch solid-steel castor wheels. I made them both with heavy gauge steel, and fitted heavy angle steel around the top edges to give me something to pound on. Each of them measures about 3 meters in length by just over 1 meter in width. A fella can't have to solid a work bench IMO !

post-3915-0-92403200-1396216089_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-22337500-1396216100_thumb.jpg

Nice work Davin !

Do you think Quantas would count it as a second bag and for a $25 fee you could bring one over?

Hank :lol:  

$25 is just about what it cost for the bolts and I got the rest of the materials free - so that would just about cover it! I reckon that we'd need a plane with a bigger cargo hull though!

Todd: I am going to pull ALL  wiring. I have a kit ordered, should be here any day now. I won't trust patched wiring. But thanks for the reminder. 

Sometimes I cannot sleep too well, get things on my mind and . . . .I read this in one of the posts, which means I have a wiring kit stashed away some where and that's encouraging. I bought $80 of wire and supplies on Saturday to rewire.  So I guess I'll rewire the truck with that and put the kit in the suburban. 

48Dodger is going to trailer the truck to the BBQ, so will pull the suburban back to the slab and return to that project. So will have to switch mental wires for a bit.  Mentality gets crossed wired a lot these daze!  

Well, back to bed, and some shuteye. Lots of work to do in the morning. 

you can also fab something to lift the bench off the wheels/push the wheels down.  I've done this several times for benches here at work.

Question: I had a pair of 1954 head light 'frames / rings. These differ from the '53's. I have NOT found them. Were they of a material that would melt in a fire?

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Some have been asking in PM's. I'm making progress. Some before and after shots. The garage is down and the slab is ready for a new building. The builder is bringing the engineering drawings this afternoon so I can take them to the city. When one looks at a vehicle on a slab of concrete with no benches taking up space, etc., a 32' X 18' garage is a lot of room for a shop. My floor will NOT decrease in size. Work stations will go on Casters and storage will be elsewhere, probably in a loft.

Needless to say, this is a lot of work, dirty, discouraging work. But 'This too shall pass'! 

FIREDAMAGE001_zpsdb51e3f7.jpg

FIREDAMAGE005_zps879732d4.jpg

54andRoses1_zps30be3dd1.jpg

54andRoses2_zpsf6800f96.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Update: My new building will come next week, May 12 - 15. Yesterday my insurance claims adjuster called regarding my damaged/destroyed contents list and prices. I started my list when I started to clean and had long list. Then I went to Harbor Freight.com and priced everything from them. The day following the fire my insurance agent came by. I said to him "Loren, I've been with you forty years, take good care of me now.

So I am 90 days out from the fire and get my building next week and a check for my tools,etc. next week as well. If I purchase tools that are MAC or ________ value, I send a receipt and they pay the balance. My friends call their lawyers and WAIT> > > I put the responsibility on the insurance agent and I get paid.

Will send pictures of the new building end of next week;  

• Like 1

The project is finally going the other direction. Frame should be up tomorrow night, then the skin on Wed / Thursday. Boy am I ready for this. 

ThePhoenixelectricradiatorfan_zpsddb6c42

• Like 1

Snow load or not, this is going to be a fantastic place for my hobby. For some reason, tonight I cannot transfer pictures from my camera to the computer but I'm just amazed at the space. Even though the floor space is the same, the 10' walls, the non-rafter inside, the full coverage white insulation, and the 12' X 10' door make a major statement.

I'll have full completion pictures tomorrow evening and on Friday "The Phoenix" will come to rest and it will be ready for glass and tires next week.  It's hard to believe 90 days has passed, but it has, been a very busy 90 days.

Add to the  completion of the garage, and near road legal of the truck, yesterday I went to a Muscular Massage Therapist. Today I was exhausted, but i can now walk stairs, and actually stride, the duck waddling is disappearing. Needless to say this has been a GREAT WEEK.  

I'd love to be able to have sheds like that here, but I would not be able to trust them, they look like they'd go up fast and inexpensively.  

I had a great friend who is a massage therapist....she was a GOOD friend, and gave me a super discount, but then she went nutty and I had to walk away from the friendship....but she made me cry like a little girl but the next day I always felt AWESOME!

Edited by ggdad1951