Installing a Sock Oil Filter

bach4660

I got a new Wix sock oil filter for the bypass canister, and after cursing and squeezing and rolling trying to get  the sock into the can, my son handed me my piston ring compressor And it works great. So the bottom line, apply a thin coat of fresh oil and crank up the piston ring, and just slide it on home.

• Like 6

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The Napa and Wix filter went through a cost cutting measure a couple of years ago

and Manf. was sent overseas to a "one size fits all" type of thing.

That's why they no longer fit well.

Sock filters are supposed to fit tight but not that tight.

The Baldwin JC 405 made in USA fit tight but much better due to it being

closer to original specs.

More reading if interested from

http://www.t137.com/swish-e/swish.cgi?query=sock+filter&submit=Search%21&metaname=swishdefault&sort=swishrank&dr_o=12&dr_s_mon=1&dr_s_day=12&dr_s_year=2015&dr_e_mon=1&dr_e_day=12&dr_e_year=2015

Edited by TGP
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...

While doing some follow-up research, I found this undated article that compares the NAPA 1011, Wix 51011 and Baldwin JC405 filters...there is also an amusing anecdote regarding how helpful Wix has been with this issue...so if your sock filter does not fit inside its housing, it may have not been made correctly :cool: