Not Your Typical Oil Leak

1oldtruck

Ok, here's my dilemma. I've had an oil leak for the last few weeks and I traced it to the oil filler pipe. The oil leaks from where the pipe fits into the crankcase. Now, I know that I don't have too much oil so I'm thinking that the oil splashes around while driving and leaks out and runs along the crankcase and drips to the ground.

Was there a gasket or extra sleeve that held the pipe firmly in place? I don't want to make something that would deteriorate and melt and fall into the crankcase. My filler pipe is a little loose. 

Any suggestions?

When I first got my truck the filler tube fit loosely too. I dug around in some old plumbing fittings and found a reducer that I could use as a forming spud. You could use something else......just needs to be something with a taper that will slide into the tube and snug up. The idea is to slightly expand the tube until you get a good interference fit. Once I got a good fit I slipped a heavy o-ring over the tube then put a little permatex on the tube and tapped it into place. It does not leak and the o-ring helps to keep water etc... out.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I've got access to a blacksmith anvil, and the horn on that old iron flares out the filler pipe perfectly.  But more common materials can open up the tube diameter: using a couple of pliers or almost-closed crescent wrenches can be used to work the metal outwards, or whittling a 2x2 down to a taper as a forming tool, maybe clamping a round bar in a bench vise and peening the tube over it...all ya need is for the tube OD to be a hair less than the crankcase hole ID.  I have not needed to use RTV on the tubes I've worked over, but it won't hurt, and if it's a tight fit, ya won't need but to smear the RTV thin on the tube surface for it to work.