More noob questions, (I'm learning)

addes426

I lost the 54 I wanted, the owner of the 53 won't budge on price and I just can't spend more untill I sell my 64 2dr project. Now, I know it's not a pilot-house but, I found a 47 3/4 ton, partly restored. L6 motor has been rebuilt, frame has been sand blasted and painted, body in primer, no bed. No pics but he's getting me some. It's close to where my youngest daughter lives so I'm thinking a look is in order. Can you guys school me on what to look for? It has lots of new parts and a clear title. I know it's basically a basket case by virtue of being disassembled. Still, at His asking price of $3800 or BO, I have to consider it.

I'd look it over very carefully.  Check for rust over the windshield where the hinges and wiper motors are.  I'd look at the frame carefully and check for cracks or rusted out cross members.  Suspension components for wear,  brakes, steering componentry for play,  all need to be looked at to see what has been done.  See if he has any documentation on the engine rebuild as to what was done as far as machine work , what was replaced, and who did the work.  Don't be afraid to make a lesser offer if it looks like it needs more work than you expected.  Good luck..  Mike

Sounds like a nice truck, but that price is a tad high. Check the windshield frame definately, fuel tank, brakes are a big ticket item. For that matter check the radiator too. For that kind of price it should really be able to drive I think.

Either way good luck and have fun!

-Josh

Well, that's where I'm the greenest, value. I've learned over the years that it costs the same to restore a Coronet 440 as it does a Super Bee or R/T (more or less) I know these trucks don't command big bucks. That's partly where I'm falling on my face. While I'm trying to see if there's good value in a truck, I miss it. I won't jump in WO at least some schooling. As far as the $3800 for the truck, it will depend on what's there and how apart it is. I was wanting something drivable. The old adage, "err in haste, repent in lesure"  comes to mind. (been there, done that, don't want to do it again.)

Well, that's where I'm the greenest, value. I've learned over the years that it costs the same to restore a Coronet 440 as it does a Super Bee or R/T (more or less) I know these trucks don't command big bucks. That's partly where I'm falling on my face. While I'm trying to see if there's good value in a truck, I miss it. I won't jump in WO at least some schooling. As far as the $3800 for the truck, it will depend on what's there and how apart it is. I was wanting something drivable. The old adage, "err in haste, repent in lesure"  comes to mind. (been there, done that, don't want to do it again.)

Y....E...T   I really think that is just about to change. Based on what is out there right now the Dodge trucks are certainly the best value for the buck. Wouldn't surprise me to see them go up dramatically in the next 2-4 years. Vintage trucks have caused a lot of eyebrows to go up at the auctions lately. 

I say get while the getting is still good.

Jeff

47 is still a cool body style, I had a 47 Fargo that I stripped all down and I wished it had been in better shape to revive. Don't rush into anything is my recommendation, and especially with a truck tore down. It's so hard to put a puzzle together when you never know what the guy before lost or swapped thinking something would just fit. I honestly have to think trucks are cheaper on that side of the border then here, but where are you from addes? Maybe other members can help source a good priced project

The biggest things on the 39-47s are the windshield frames. They tend to rust out at the bottom and are expensive to replace if you can even find a good one. I'm talking people paying 500-1000 on ebay. They do remake them now I believe but I think the repro's are in the 700-800 range. The gastanks are now available new and are pretty reasonable. An aluminum radiator isn't that hard to get or expensive either if you don't care about originality. 3800 isn't too bad a price depending on condition of the sheet metal and if he can verify what was done to that engine. Rebuilding an engine is a thrown around term that can mean different things to different people. As far as buying someone elses project its a toss up. You can really see what condition some of the stuff is in as far as rust etc but the missing parts can be harder. This is my 46 as purchased.

62f004a8.jpg

47 is still a cool body style, I had a 47 Fargo that I stripped all down and I wished it had been in better shape to revive. Don't rush into anything is my recommendation, and especially with a truck tore down. It's so hard to put a puzzle together when you never know what the guy before lost or swapped thinking something would just fit. I honestly have to think trucks are cheaper on that side of the border then here, but where are you from addes? Maybe other members can help source a good priced project

I'm in WV.

The biggest things on the 39-47s are the windshield frames. They tend to rust out at the bottom and are expensive to replace if you can even find a good one. I'm talking people paying 500-1000 on ebay. They do remake them now I believe but I think the repro's are in the 700-800 range. The gastanks are now available new and are pretty reasonable. An aluminum radiator isn't that hard to get or expensive either if you don't care about originality. 3800 isn't too bad a price depending on condition of the sheet metal and if he can verify what was done to that engine. Rebuilding an engine is a thrown around term that can mean different things to different people. As far as buying someone elses project its a toss up. You can really see what condition some of the stuff is in as far as rust etc but the missing parts can be harder. This is my 46 as purchased.

62f004a8.jpg

must be the lighting, it isn't orange!  :P

$3800 for a pile-o-parts sounds high to me, even with a rebuilt engine. I would expect a driver for that price and for a few more bucks you should be able to get something decent.

With that said, I also know that having something available nearby is always an enticement and WV may not be a good place to find an old Dodge. 

I would suggest trolling through craigslist as well as the little ad papers.

• Like 2

You need to check from Nashville to the Mississippi River. Expand your search area. Sweptlines (61-71) are scarce here, Power Giants (57-60) are a bit unusual to find, but PH/Functional Design (48-56) and 39-47 trucks/panels seemingly came here to die. I know one parts store in the city tht I can walk in and 10 minutes later be on my way home with brand new engine/trans/brake parts. The commercial airport retired its last L6 powered plane tugs and related in 2011, the Air Guard still uses them...

A running but rough looking PH is a grand or two here. I'll start "buffalo hunting" for you, see what I can find. I know there is a clean 48-50 B1B panel at Reelfoot Lake...

Good plan. Doing your homework pays off. Sometimes you have to be patient, but when a good deal comes along you'll recognize it and be ready for it.

I was surprised at how much the value of these old pick-ups have gone up in the last 20 years, and it seems that the Dodges (better built in my opinion) can generally be had for less. Disassembled vehicles usually make me laugh and shake my head. At least if you take it apart yourself then you know what you've got, where it is, and how it goes back together.

Good plan. Doing your homework pays off. Sometimes you have to be patient, but when a good deal comes along you'll recognize it and be ready for it.

I was surprised at how much the value of these old pick-ups have gone up in the last 20 years, and it seems that the Dodges (better built in my opinion) can generally be had for less. Disassembled vehicles usually make me laugh and shake my head. At least if you take it apart yourself then you know what you've got, where it is, and how it goes back together.

Yes but if you know what you're looking at and how it goes together its a good way to get a deal.