Truck Door Locks compared to Car Locks

74Dusted

Anybody know if the lock & latch mechanisms from a 40's Dodge/Plymouth car will work in a truck (modifications expected).

Like everybody else, my '48 B1B-108 only has one lock. My grandfather's '48 Special Deluxe Sedan has a lock on each front door and it made me wonder if the parts for one of those cars couldn't be used to add a Driver's Door Lock to a Pilothouse.

Currently it has no locking ability. Either someone replaced the ignition in my truck, the door, or the lock just quit entirely. I'm thinking maybe the ignition was changed at one point, if it is (never pulled the lock cylinder out of the door to check), it would be a simple matter of filing the tumblers to match the key for the ignition. No big deal, I made the spare key for my ignition by hand and have "key matched" more than a few lock cylinders over the years.  But I figured, before I went through that work to make "one" lock work again, why not try to install locks on both doors.

Edited by 74Dusted

Chris, I am almost certain that the door lock mechanisms for the cars and trucks are different. You might want to have a chat with Jeff on adding a driver's side door lock mechanism to your truck as he has recently fitted one to his truck which I supplied him from Australia. I have forwarded another 2 of these mechanisms to Hank if you are interested in purchasing one and undertaking that project. I will be in USA in April to attend the Clements Tailgate BBQ and intend bringing a number of stainless steel door latch spring sets with me on the journey. I have a number of other left-side door latch mechanisms available, but only have sent the 3 of them (in total) to USA to date. I am led to believe (from feedback from Jeff) that the modification is not too difficult to complete.

Yes using the Australian mechanism is about as easy as it gets.  :)  Just have to drill 3 holes.....one 3/4" dia. for the cylinder, one for the set screw and one small one on the inside inline with the cylinder and in it goes as easy as can be. Could not be simpler or look more like it belongs.

Jeff

ok, so not being a truck owner, is the outside lock on the passenger side or the driver side door.  On my 39 Desoto the exterior lock was on the passenger side door only.  Back in the days it was illegal to exit a car from the driver side and when parked parallel to the sidewalk.  They did this because as the driver you would be stepping out into the traffic  so basically the driver would lock all the door on his side via the door lock button or by  pushing the door handle forward in some cases.

He then would have to slide across the front seat and then lock the rer door from inside the car and then shut the passenger door and then use the exterior lock to lock the car.

So is it different for a truck.  Can not see why it would be any different because of the same laws back then.  I think this law is still in effect but no enforeced.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

I believe that they had the same laws back then for both cars and trucks Rich. The trucks tend to have the external door locks on the opposite side to the driver. We (in Australia) had the external door lock on the left side as our vehicles are right-hand drive (RHD). I am led to believe that the postal delivery vehicles in USA were RHD, so maybe they had left side external door locks fitted? Adding the external door lock to the left side of the truck as Jeff has done has made it a lot easier to lock the door - saves sliding or leaning across to flip the handle up to lock the door internally.

Edited by Desotodav

Good to know it's an easy mod (using an Aussie latch & lock assembly). It'd make it easy to lock the truck at the gas pump, long story there. Short version : One day I stopped for some fuel and when I came out of the gas station after paying I found a guy getting in my '74 Duster. Now I lock all of my vehicles at the gas pump.

I spent more than enough time doing the "unlock passenger door, avoid the shifter & slide across the seat" routine with my '75 Dodge D300 Dumptruck when the Driver's Side Door Handle broke. Had a spare handle and parts, but no free time (and it wasn't a serious problem, I make time for Brakes, Suspension, Fuel, etc. or drive another vehicle until I have time), so I put off the repair for about 8 months. 8 months of that routine was enough to make me never want to do it again.

Desotodav, what's the going rate/price on one of your Left Side Latch/Lock Mechanisms? 

Rich;

The trucks were just like the cars at that time. And even if the law is still in effect there are far more situations when you are not in a parallel parking situation and it does not apply. In my case it made good sense. But rest assured that if I was in a situation where exiting via the drivers door was dangerous I will opt to slid across. Busy weekend traffic on Pacific Coast Highway in Laguna Beach certainly warrants this method of exit.

Jeff

Desotodav, what's the going rate/price on one of your Left Side Latch/Lock Mechanisms? 

I'll send you a PM later today as the topic is now bordering on something that should be listed in the 'classifieds' section. I'm thinking that $50 (+ post) would be quite reasonable for the latch mechanism, but you will still need to chase up the external door lock barrel and bezel.

I'll send you a PM later today as the topic is now bordering on something that should be listed in the 'classifieds' section. I'm thinking that $50 (+ post) would be quite reasonable for the latch mechanism, but you will still need to chase up the external door lock barrel and bezel.

My bad, I didn't actually mean to lead the thread in that direction. Or better phrased, I didn't think it completely through.

Knowing that I'll need to find the Barrel/Cylinder & Bezel to install with the Latch Mechanism, are the Barrels/Cylinders the same for a car? Or does the Barrel have to be for a  B series?

My bad, I didn't actually mean to lead the thread in that direction. Or better phrased, I didn't think it completely through.

Knowing that I'll need to find the Barrel/Cylinder & Bezel to install with the Latch Mechanism, are the Barrels/Cylinders the same for a car? Or does the Barrel have to be for a  B series?

All good mate.

I was helping a friend out with his 47 Desoto sedan the other day and noticed that his door lock barrel and bezel were the same as my truck. I think that our bezels were a slightly different setup to yours over there though. I'm pretty sure that Jeff was able to chase one up from another member here.

Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy of the email which I sent to Jeff with photos of parts etc.