Basic Engine Info

Dajudge

So the 48 Pilot house is supposed to be here tomorrow and I was searching for some basic info on the flat 6.

Looking for the consensus on the following questions. 

1:  What oil do most of you run?

2: What fuel? Octane level.  Do you guys add a lead additive?

3: Stock sock or ball of string type filter?

4: Spark Plugs?

5: Is there a Pertronics? replacement for the points that is worth wild?  Changed this in my Judge years ago and never looked back.

Any other basic kind of info you can think of. 

Hopefully this thread will come up when the next guy searches for it.

Thanks

Edited by Dajudge

So the 48 Pilot house is supposed to be here tomorrow and I was searching for some basic info on the flat 6.

Looking for the consensus on the following questions. 

1:  What oil do most of you run?

2: What fuel? Octane level.  Do you guys add a lead additive?

3: Stock sock or ball of string type filter?

4: Spark Plugs?

5: Is there a Pertronics? replacement for the points that is worth wild?  Changed this in my Judge years ago and never looked back.

Any other basic kind of info you can think of. 

Hopefully this thread will come up when the next guy searches for it.

Thanks

1. I run Amsoil AMO 10W-40 oil in my truck

2. I burn Regular 87 Octane gas. No additives needed. These engines already have hardened valve seats

3. My engine uses the sock type oil filter. Check what filter is on your truck, if it even has one. The filter type depends on the filter manufacturer. There are a couple different ones out there.

4. I use Autolite 306 Spark Plugs (at least I think that's the number) 

5. Yes Pertronix makes a kit for our trucks. I was just looking it on their web site last night. Do a search by Distributor number on their web site.

Good luck with your new toy.

Merle

1: 20-50w, an engineer I know recommended it and I never looked back, pressures a little high on startup but once things warm up it settles right down where it's supposed to

2: Regular unleaded, never needed to add anything

3: I have a canister type filter on mine, forget the number...

4: Autolite 306

5: Try vintage power wagons, I know they have a kit

The search function may or may not help alot, I tend to find it rather fickle sometimes but its worth a search. Really we should almost have a writeup of general info like this, be a nice garage printout.

Good luck!

-Josh

Thanks guys.  That is what I was looking for.  I did a bunch of searching but was thinking if it could be short and sweet like this it would help everybody.

Truck didn't make it today, dang ice in Georgia.  Truck driver said he should be here tommorow evening.

Edited by Dajudge

I run straight 30 in mine, its agricultural oil with higher phos and zinc which these engines should have IMO. I also add the Rislone phos/zinc additive just to be sure, cheap peace of mind. Never seen one with sock filter yet, but I know their out there, mine runs the can style filter which I can get you a wix number if you want. Points and condenser easy to find, as are most of the parts for these engines.

Good luck and welcome to the ph club

• 6 years later...

This thread has so much great information on it, especially the links from JBNeal! I am hoping this will bring it back to the top for those who are newbies and want information on their car and truck engines. Graybeards post are just incredible.B)

• Like 1

*sigh*    We lost greybeard a few years back and Don Coatney just at the end of this last year........

They both posted great stuff, glad you're using the search option my friend.

48D

• Like 1