Mystery Part

post-2952-0-97814800-1390657732_thumb.jpgAfter several years of taking my '51 B3C completely apart and bead/sand blasting, priming, painting, degreasing, and dealing with stuck bolts,etc., I am finally in the process of putting it back together (the fun part) beginning with the components that attach to the rebuilt engine. In the back of a parts storage cabinet I found a thin steel plate that was not tagged. It is shown below. Can anyone identify it and, if so, where it goes?

Barry

may have been a homemade frame-mounted engine compartment splash shield or cab firewall doubler plate...anyhow, I don't recognize it as being an original part, maybe it belongs in a cardboard box with a big question mark scrawled on the side for left over parts, cuz errrvybody knows there's always leftover parts when putting stuff back together :cool:

Thank you guys. It must have either been in my cabinet as noted by Todd or been added by a P.O. at some point in the past. The fact that I painted it black suggests to me that I must have thought that is was part of a splash shield or something like that. In any event, it is one less thing to worry about. I WILL put it in a box marked "Dodge Left Overs". I have similar boxes from 5-6 previous projects involving antique tractors and Jeeps. Thanks again.

Barry

I stand corrected...I grabbed a flashlight & took a gander at the Spring Special and it has that very plate...looked at a couple of my spare floor boards that came out of column shift trucks and they had the same cutout...so looks like ya got one less leftover part after all  :cool:

Edited by JBNeal
added link
  • Like 2

post-2952-0-34233000-1390739005_thumb.jpgpost-2952-0-50382600-1390739025_thumb.jpg

I stand corrected...I grabbed a flashlight & took a gander at the Spring Special and it has that very plate...looked at a couple of my spare floor boards that came out of column shift trucks and they had the same cutout...so looks like ya got one less leftover part after all  :cool:

Bingo - mystery solved!! My truck originally had a column shift. The owner had a  body shop and he removed the column shift and replaced the transmission with a floor shift and parking brake. The first photo below (at least I hope it is below) shows the mystery part held temporarily in place with wood screws. The second photo shows the floor shift and parking shift that I am currently working on. Thanks to Dave72dt and JBNeal I can now rest easy. Boy, I sure love this Forum!

Barry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for asking about this Barry, i have the same part. i thought it was something sombody made up but it looks the same

post-6005-0-85584800-1391539456_thumb.jpg

I also picked up another panel from Keven a couple weeks ago and it had the same screw holes but no blank

post-6005-0-58076700-1391540152_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 2