Starter Installation and Removal

I am in the process of installing components on my overhauled engine ('post-2952-0-43269700-1390426605_thumb.jpg51 B3C) after installing it on the rolling chassis. In order to install the starter I had to remove the left bolt of the bracket that is bolted to the bell housing (the one that connects the gas pedal and carb. linkages) and rotate the bracket out of the way in order to get a wrench on the left bolt of the starter. Then, it is easy to install or remove the starter.

My question is how in the world do you remove or install the starter after the cab is on and you can not get to that bracket? Obviously, I must be missing something. Where am I wrong or confused?

Barry

I am in the process of installing components on my overhauled engine ('attachicon.gifIMG_2069.JPG51 B3C) after installing it on the rolling chassis. In order to install the starter I had to remove the left bolt of the bracket that is bolted to the bell housing (the one that connects the gas pedal and carb. linkages) and rotate the bracket out of the way in order to get a wrench on the left bolt of the starter. Then, it is easy to install or remove the starter.

My question is how in the world do you remove or install the starter after the cab is on and you can not get to that bracket? Obviously, I must be missing something. Where am I wrong or confused?

Barry

When I did mine it was with a long extension that put the ratchet handle out in front of the starter. I believe I also had to use either wobble extension or swivel sockets. Believe me its not fun and do yourself a favor right now and make sure your oil filter lines are tidy and out of the way.

• Like 1

Like Young Ed I used a long extension to do my starter.

I see your oil line is plumbed hard from the block towards the oil gauge. You need a piece of flex hose installed on that line. Otherwise vibration will cause problems and leakage.

starter_removal.jpg

Is that can there to catch any loose electrons that come loose when your remove the starter?

• Like 1

post-2952-0-37762300-1390439286_thumb.jpgDon:

First of all, your suggestion of a flex line is a good one! I will look into that.

Second of all, my starter is 7-3/4" long and the diameter extends beyond the mounting bolt holes. If I have done it correctly, the photo below shows that. Thus, the only way to get on the bolt is with a 5/8" open end wrench, and the bracket I mentioned in my post has to be rotated to get the wrench in.

My starter is marked Chrysler Corp. and Auto Lite. Perhaps it is not the original starter. If so, that may be the source of my problem.

Barry

I see your oil line is plumbed hard from the block towards the oil gauge. You need a piece of flex hose installed on that line. Otherwise vibration will cause problems and leakage.

Weird as it sounds the truck use a hardline plumbed all the way to the dash pass thru. I did another thread on the a while back to see what other owners have installed. No fled line. I think their is even a factory pic in the Bunn book that shows just a hard line.  

• Like 1

Weird as it sounds the truck use a hardline plumbed all the way to the dash pass thru. I did another thread on the a while back to see what other owners have installed. No fled line. I think their is even a factory pic in the Bunn book that shows just a hard line.  

My truck doesn't have a flex line but I did make a loop for it. Same as the brake line from the bellhousing mounted master cylinder to the frame T.

Each truck that I've seen here in Oz has had a flex line fitted to the oil line. It actually makes good sense to have one attached. I couldn't find any reference for the 48-53 trucks, but the part # for for 40-47 trucks is 655498.

post-3915-0-21496900-1390443218_thumb.jpg

Where can I a starter like that and will it fit my 48 dodge truck i want to do away with floor start?

Like Young Ed I used a long extension to do my starter.

starter_removal.jpg

Gauge_port.jpg

Where can I a starter like that and will it fit my 48 dodge truck i want to do away with floor start?

you need a car starter. shouldn't be too hard to track one down. 

You got it now, Barry. You have to watch to see where the curser is before you add your picture to your post.  I've fallen for that one once or twice myself. You would think it would stay at the end where you left it, but for some reason when you go to upload the file the curser tends to jump to the top, or somewhere in the middle, before you can attach the pic to the post.

Merle

To take the starter off my 39 Desoto I have what is called an obstruction wrench.  You can get these at any aoto parts store or even sears.  The wrench looks like a it has been bent.  It is cureved so that the box end fit over the socket and the curve of the wrench fits the contour of the starter.

It is a slow process to take the bolts out but this is the wrench that you need.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

To take the starter off my 39 Desoto I have what is called an obstruction wrench.  You can get these at any aoto parts store or even sears.  The wrench looks like a it has been bent.  It is cureved so that the box end fit over the socket and the curve of the wrench fits the contour of the starter.

It is a slow process to take the bolts out but this is the wrench that you need.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Thats the same style wrench I mentioned. I've always heard it called a 1/2 moon wrench.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Rich:

I will look into getting an obstruction or 1/2 moon wrench. Thank you guys.

I have now reinstalled my starter and the gas pedal/carb. bracket on the bell housing. If I ever have to remove the starter again (I hope I don't), I think that I can get to the bolts by removing the floor plates if I have to. However, the obstruction wrench will be a better option if it works for me. Thanks again.

Barry