1940 plymouth radiator removal ?

40plyrod
Go to solution Solved by desoto1939,

Just wondering if someone has a Canadian repair manual for a 1940 Plymouth (25"block) and can tell me the removal procedure for the radiator?  It won't lift straight out and there isn't much room to get the fan and pulley off so you can remove the water pump which might allow you to tilt the radiator back and lift out. Do you have to remove the front sheet metal? Obviously the hood, but the fenders too. :eek:  I'm sure I can get it out just wondering on the proper procedure. Thanks 

On my 1941 Plymouth truck , I couldn't get the stock radiator out without removing a lot of the front sheet metal . It was pretty much an all-day job .  Perhaps someone with a car will chime in with better news .     Edit ;  I remember now . My radiator was the military version and was wider than the normal radiator . That is why it wouldn't come out easily . 

Edited by Jerry Roberts

On my 1941 Plymouth truck , I couldn't get the stock radiator out without removing a lot of the front sheet metal . It was pretty much an all-day job .  Perhaps someone with a car will chime in with better news . 

On my 46 dodge I have removed the radiator without removing anything but the hood. I took the hood support rods and fan off and the radiator comes straight up.

On my 39 desoto I had to take off the fan blade to get the radiator out of the car.  I have the side opening hood like a butterfly wings.

There is not much room between the fan and the back of the radiator.  If I remember correctly the 4 bolts that hold the fan in place are 1/2 inch.  They did make a 1/2 socket that was welded onto a flat bar which was about 16 inches long this permitted you yo reachin a  get the fan blade bolts out of the hub.

I have one and this has saved me from the cut up knickles.  The 1/2 inch socket is very shallow. The secreat is to disconnect the gen and then when you use the tool you can spin the blade inthe appropriate direction and hold the tool and the bolts willeither unsrew or screw into the hub.

I can take a picture of the tool if you want to see what it looks like.  Snap on made some ofthere.  Radiator fan blade tool. If you send me your home email then I will send you the picture of the tool sinc e I am having troubles attaching pictures.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

I installed a 25" engine in my US made P-15. I had to move my radiator 2" towards the front of the car. To Install the radiator I cut notches in both front fenders as pictured below. However in a Canadian made car I would think the factory would have made provisions for radiator removal without removing the entire doghouse.

MVC-002F-1.jpg

With my 1940 Canadian Dodge (D14) I removed the hood and the fan and then the radiator bolts. Lifted straight out (some cursing required). As mentioned above, the four fan bolts are tricky but I just used a small box end wrench and managed to get them out (and back in).

Phil

there are several of these fan blade tools onthe bay:  Here isa link to see what one of them looks like.

Nice to have in the tool box with your car.  I had had mone for over 20+ years and have lent this out to other owners when they have to chnage the WP. MAke the job easier and no scrapped knuckles. 

VINTAGE SNAP ON FAN WRENCH S-9470B 1/2" 12 POINTVINTAGE SNAP ON FAN WRENCH S-9470B 1/2" 12 POINT  The wrench is about $25 and well worth the cost in the lack of aggrevation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Snap-on-S9470-Fan-Wrench-/321287570948?pt=US_Hand_Tools&hash=item4ace3b4604

This one of those wrench that you willnot use every day but when you need it, the cost is well worth it.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939

Thanks for the help. The radiator support frame extends directly above the radiator and is used to attach the hood, so unless I have something wrong lifting the radiator straight up is not possible. The only way is to lean the radiator back which would mean removing the fan and pulley to allow access to the bolts on the water pump and then remove the pump. Again I may not have something right...maybe not the right radiator or put together wrong. I know that I can take enough apart to get it out I'm just wondering what the proper procedure was before I decide to start modifying things. 

post-2834-0-34796500-1390268978_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-71087900-1390269007_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-72380200-1390269039_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-64423100-1390269057_thumb.jpg

You know sometimes you gota think outside of the box once in a while,.................. because it’s covered by the hood and the early girls where a little rough around the edges anyway, ........................why not just CUT the top radiator support frame on the sides and either make a real fancy reinforcement cover for the cuts or mig it for reassemble?    :eek: 

Before I started cutting and modifying, I'd consider just how many times and how frequently that radiator needs to come out.  A few extra bolts really isn't that inconvenient for a part that comes out only occasionally in it's lifetime.  Some of those parts are integral to panel alignment and stability.

• Solution

OK here is your answer on how to remove the radiator on a 1940 Plymouth taken out of my motors repair book.

1. remove the hood and water pump

2. disconnect the water outlets hose. bend back the clips which hold the hadlight wires to the radiator core. disconnect the core from the radiator support and lift out the radiator core

So here is where a 1940 Plymouth service manual and or a motors repair manual. When you go to your next swap meet look for these books. This will be a very valuable book while you own the car.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

A fan wench?  Seems to me that someone posted a picture of such a damsel some time back ......

Marty

Marty:

This is Rich Hartung and yes you are correct. I did post a picture of a fan wrench. If you go out to the Ebay and search on snap-on fan blade wrench you will find several and also pictures of them.

Go upto my post just after Dons and there isa link to ebay to one of these wrenches.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939

Can you pull the water pump with the fan still attached? maybe if the water inlet on the head is removed first?

My friend with a 37 Ply. had to do it this way.

Doug

Marty:

This is Rich Hartung and yes you are correct. I did post a picture of a fan wrench. If you go out to the Ebay and search on snap-on fan blade wrench you will find several and also pictures of them.

Go upto my post just after Dons and there isa link to ebay to one of these wrenches.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Yes and if you look a little harder you might be able to find one of the telescoping ones that work even better.