Starter Information

Tom Skinner

Gents,

Does a Starter out of a 1939 6 Cylinder Mopar Engine work with a 1942-1948 Chrysler Engine?

In other words is a Starter for a 1939 Chrysler inter- changeable with a 1942-1948 Chrysler Engine?

Does anyone have an Inter Change Book to look this up for me?

The 1942-1948 Starter is a MAX4050 for the 251 Engine, what is the one for a 1939 6 Cylinder Engine?

Is the 242 Engine Starter Interchangeable?

Thanks!

Tom

Your OE starter was a MAX 4020A.

Hollander says a 1941 Chrysler MAX 4045 fits as well as the1938-40 Chrysler eights MAX 4037.

Bob

The 39 Chrysler had a starter seliod that mounted ontop of the starter motor since they used a starter button instead of the floor mounted push rod that was used onthe 39 Dodge, Desoto and Ply.

I do know that the appropriate stater selinoid for the 39 Chryeler is extremely hard to find and Frank Mitchel had one on the bay for around 400-600 dollars.

So make sure of what you are using because the 39 Chrysler stuff is getting hard to find and also very expensive these days.  The good old days when the Mopar items were cheaper has gone bye bye.

Let me do some checking in my Autolite catalog to determine the starter motor and seliods that were used and also my Hollander book.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com