Unexpected benefit of Fulton Visor

BobB

Well, it doesn't get down to 5 degrees often in north Alabama, but it is right now. Here are pics of the family van and my 52B3B yesterday morning at drive time.

Note which one required frozen fingers from scraping the ice before it could be driven and which one had a completely clear windshield when I arrived on the scene.

I'll remember that advantage of the visor next time I'm polishing the hood so I can tell when the traffic light changes.

post-5965-0-39393000-1389138682_thumb.jpg

post-5965-0-32753700-1389138698_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

No illusion, they're both chrome. A previous owner who did the initial resto loved the chrome. I especially like look of the running boards (when they're not covered in snow). he/she went a bit gonzo under the hood, though. I'm still not sure why anyone would chrome plate a dipstick top to bottom.

can you possibly post some pics of the mounting points.  I picked up a visor for my TODD project and would love to see how yours is mounted.

As requested, here are photos of the visor mounts. the ends are attached to the door frame with screws/rivets. At the center, there is a bracket that clips over the windshield center divider and than bolts to an arm that holds the visor in place.

I'd appreciate it if any old hats out there can shed some light on whether there are different types, configurations, or options for the visors including any other names by which the alternatives are more commonly known. are they all called Fulton visors or does that term only refer to a particular style/design? thanks for any help setting us straight.

- Bob

post-5965-0-76090400-1389309895_thumb.jpg

post-5965-0-94630100-1389309927_thumb.jpg

post-5965-0-88696200-1389309946_thumb.jpg

post-5965-0-86628600-1389309990_thumb.jpg

post-5965-0-30375500-1389310008_thumb.jpg

As requested, here are photos of the visor mounts. the ends are attached to the door frame with screws/rivets. At the center, there is a bracket that clips over the windshield center divider and than bolts to an arm that holds the visor in place.

I'd appreciate it if any old hats out there can shed some light on whether there are different types, configurations, or options for the visors including any other names by which the alternatives are more commonly known. are they all called Fulton visors or does that term only refer to a particular style/design? thanks for any help setting us straight.

- Bob

Fulton is a brand. From what I've seen they all have a chrome attaching point at the gutters with Fulton cast into it.

Ggdad -

My truck has the original gear ratios so 45-50 is the max I've hit. At those speeds, I haven't noticed any vibration or flutter problems.

the shipper who pulled it cross country on a trailer slowed down from interstate speeds to 60-65 because he was concerned with the movement he was seeing in his rear view.

Afraid that's about the best info I have to offer... Bob

• 2 months later...

The sun visor on my 53 coupe truck appears to be what was generally fitted to our trucks here in Oz (see attached). Although, that visor looks like it could benefit from a bit of panel beating also! The visor fitting extended to the windscreen center bar would alleviate vibration to an extent.

I will start a thread on this truck soon as I plan on restoring it next.

post-3915-0-14882900-1395573934_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-42270600-1395573943_thumb.jpg

post-6560-0-26649400-1395661761_thumb.jpgpost-6560-0-86290800-1395661813_thumb.jpgThanks for the pic of the 46 Dodge. We had a local manufacturer here in South Africa that made all the automotive accessories in the day. They were called Sterling. The visor was a little different to the Fulton. As you will see there are two windshield clamps in the centre. I will have to figure something out as I would like to be able to open the windscreen up when needed.

You need a traffic light prism. These were an accesory availble contemporary with the visors. You mount it on the dash or center bar of the windshield and it does the job without putting a crick in your neck. Just do a search and several sources of reproductions will come up. Us weather challanged northeners have these things called scrappers to be used when sunvisors aren t installed. Kinda like a putty knife on a stick...... crude but effective.

• Like 1