what heater is this??

BobB
Go to solution Solved by BobB,

Can anyone identify this heater? it had been installed in my 52B3B. I'm removing it to install the Model 61 I've just restored.

Might it be from a car? do you think it is even MOPAR?

The yellow date stamp in the photos appears to say Jan 8 - 1963 or maybe 68. It looks way too rudimentary to be that recent. Might be a date of service etc. The core appears good - full flow and doesn't seem to leak.

It has a manual defrost control that swings a bit tight. The vents are fixed with no doors.

post-5965-0-32751500-1388865800_thumb.jpg

post-5965-0-82877600-1388865937_thumb.jpg

post-5965-0-28654600-1388866156_thumb.jpg

OK, so if nobody knows what it is, should I assume nobody wants it??

If I'm wrong, the first one to say so can have it for shipping cost. otherwise, I'll see if my local radiator shop wants the core and I'll keep the fan motor for a spare... Bob

No external tag of any sort. Maybe I'll open it up sometime and see if there are any clues inside. I haven't seen anything like it in any of the literature and posts so was pretty sure it wouldn't be "correct" for pilot house trucks -- thought maybe for a car or something from the 30s or 40s.

Just thought somebody might want a bit of heat without a big outlay.

I want it! looks way better than what I've got. My 52 B3B came with a peugeot heater core and a computer fan. Do you have any pictures of when it was mounted in your truck?

-Brian

Brian -

You've got first dibs.

I know I had some pix, but sure can't find 'em. If the weather isn't too bad (in Alabama terms) in the morning, I'll set it back in and snap a few before work. I don't have a glove box installed, so I can get some from above. The core sits horizontally at the top and as you see, the inlet and outlet are together. They are at the top passenger side when installed. It fits within the designed-in heater footprint. the previous owner had enlarged one of the punch outs to push the pipes through the firewall.

I'll find out shipping cost tomorrow and I'd also like to see whether the fan motor runs first so you'll know. I'll get that info to you tomorrow so you can be sure you want it. You can Private Message me your address or e-mail me at bobtdy@gmail.com.

Thx, Bob.

Thanks a lot. Pictures would definately help. I am new to these trucks, so i have no idea what it is supposed to look like, but that heater box set up is way better than what I have. Any idea if the fan is a 12 or 6 volt?

DSC01538.jpg

Here is my heater, it makes hot air, but that is about it.

-Brian

I have a 12 volt system, so I'll test it first using the voltage reducer. if it doesn't go at 6v, I'll try it without the reducer. That'll tell us which it is. If you need a reducer, I think I can rustle up the link.

My guess is 6v since the motor looks identical to the one in my model 61 heater, but we'll see.

My truck is a 52B3B as well so I'll take a pic of the firewall to show where they drilled the mounting holes.

Brian -

Here are a couple of pics. sorry, but I wasn't able to finagle it back into position -- it's 14 degrees out there and that's not too conducive to gloves free tinkering.

you can see the three holes they drilled to mount the heater and the hole for the inlet/outlet tubes. the mounting holes form a triangle with the top side horizontal and one point at the bottom, The top, left hole is below the punch out for a stock model heater water tube and is within the punch out for the top, left mounting hole.

don't know if my earlier msg actually was sent -- I tested the motor at 6v and it whirred away and put out a good breeze. I had a runtz reducer in line that is specifically for a heater fan motor (search runtz on eBay or web).

the USPS site gave a shipping cost of $28.84 for the 12 lb package (sorry, cores aren't light).

If you want it, drop me a msg at bobtdy@gmail.com with an address and we'll get it headed your way.

- Bob

post-5965-0-12727100-1389023921_thumb.jpg

post-5965-0-70312700-1389023935_thumb.jpg

post-5965-0-74326500-1389023990_thumb.jpg