Flathead Powered T Bucket

chop

First off I know this isn't technically a P15 - D24 but it is a mopar at heart, if the Admins want to move it to the off topic area that is ok. Ever since I rebuilt the motor in my '41 D19 I caught the flathead mopar bug and wanted to do something different with it. I originally wanted to build a flathead powered Model A but trying to find a useable body that was in my price range turned out to be pretty hard since I'm a broke a** 19 year old. I ended up finding a fiberglass '23 Tbucket body for cheap and a few other craigslist scores like a motor, tranny, rearend and some other parts. This is where it all started, a '49 Dodge truck motor and trans.

IMG_20130627_200208.jpg

Getting the motor back from the machine shop

IMG_20130823_110620.jpg

Porting the block

P1080259.jpg

The first few pieces

IMG_20130902_131830.jpg

1234146_317736185039842_409855768_n.jpg

P1080267.jpg

• Like 1

Back in the late 60's I had a 63 Dodge that I ran at the local drag strip. This car was also my only drive to work vehicle. After one weekend of racing I elected to not remove my racing slicks and drove to work about 40 miles from home. Don't you know that it rained that day. I was driving down a straight 4 lane road with very light traffic. Without touching the gas or brakes I suddenly found myself going the wrong way after doing a quick and unplanned for 180 degree spinout due to the slicks. Seeing your rear tires reminded me of that incident. Your car looks good but I suggest you remove the slicks before driving it.

......... but I suggest you remove the slicks before driving it.

…….in the rain or snow. :) 

Great work, looks good!

Do know if the Dodge Brothers ever make a roadster body in the twenties? :confused: 

The slicks are locally made by Hurst Racing Tires in Oregon City, Oregon. They bought all the molds from Ron Hurst and reproduce the tires he made in the 60's and 70's. It's a father and son run business and they both run slicks on they're daily drivers even in the rain and snow. The difference is the now tires are made with a much softer rubber compuond than the old slicks so the hook the road way better. I had a '38 Ford truck with a big block I built and I ran slicks on that without a problem too. The carbs might be a little bit of a blind spot but they shouldn't be too bad, better than driving a car with a blower.

• Like 1

I had a ride in John Burke's roadsterized A coupe.  It was a 251 engine with some mild mods, and a GM 350 auto behind an adapter.  It went like stink.  Without fenders the dirt roads through the Nebraska corn fields was quite the experience.

flathead to 904 auto all mounted up

966733_346613972152063_1564154902_o.jpg

920473_346614015485392_775582743_o.jpg

Starting to look like a car

P1050618.jpg

P1050619.jpg

P1050615.jpg

P1050614.jpg

That is really a cool build. Your fab skills are great! I also love your wheel chock in the one photo. I'm glad that the hot rodding hobby will live on with guy's like you out there. Keep up the good work.

:D

nice to see a young guy interested in an  old flattie,,,and mopar to boot,,,question, where did you get an adapter for a 904 to a  flat head ??  and the engine chrome side covers,,,,love your skills, and  the frame rails are killer,,,im sure you have posted this build on the H,A,M,B keep it commming,,refreshing build

Thanks guys! The adapter is from a company called Quality Engineered Components http://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/, I highly recommend them. The owner Gary is a really nice guy and even hand delivered the adapter for me when he was in town to save me a few bucks on shipping. My friend Mike makes the side covers and his website is http://www.rodallperformance.com/, he is a mopar guy too and is working on supercharging his '51 Plymouth Concord. I wanted to try and use as many locally made parts as I could, even is it costs a little more I like to support local business's.

Just wonderin',,, what color is your engine??? I like it ,,engine color AND build

The engine is duplicolor metal specks red. It is a "metal flake" spray paint that is good for 500' degrees. I also added some real flake to it over the red before I cleared it, it looks really cool in the sunlight but it was kind of a pain to get to flake to lay down on such a rough surface like an engine block.

Thanks guys! The adapter is from a company called Quality Engineered Components http://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/, I highly recommend them. The owner Gary is a really nice guy and even hand delivered the adapter for me when he was in town to save me a few bucks on shipping. My friend Mike makes the side covers and his website is http://www.rodallperformance.com/, he is a mopar guy too and is working on supercharging his '51 Plymouth Concord. I wanted to try and use as many locally made parts as I could, even is it costs a little more I like to support local business's.

Thanks for sharing, i'll be picking up some of his air cleaners in the new year. 

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had a lot of time to work on the bucket lately but I did manage to get the intake and header done, master cylinder and head lights mounted and finished glassing the floor.

P1080340.jpg

P1080343.jpg

P1080341.jpg

You are not the first to do this. A few years ago forum member John Burke (who has passed on) built this pictured car including the frame.

jb4.jpg

That was a VERY cool car!