B2B Nebraska rebuild

Since I have spent hours raiding this forum, I felt it only right to post some pictures and details of this project.  About 18 months ago I purchased the first pickup (1950 B2B-108) from the grandson of the original owner for $600.  The pickup was setting in the front yard of a farmstead where it was parked the last time it was driven.  It was determined that the motor was ruined.  On the search for a new flathead I found a 1952 B3B-108 at a local junk yard called Runyans Relics.  Some one had started to rebuild it but never finished, purchased for $350.  The cab was in much better shape but this engine also beyond repair.  Back to Runyans Relics for the last remaining Pilothouse a 1948 B1C-116.  This one had been owned by 2 bachelor brothers that were ranchers.  The truck did not have a straight piece of tin left. Another $400 and on to the trailer it went. This jewel had a rebuild flathead from a 1949 Plymouth Deluxe that was repairable.  Due to limited free time, tools and even more limited mechanical skills I have a repair shop and a body shop doing most of the work, part of the reason I was hesitant to post stuff. 

post-5627-0-74471000-1387110475_thumb.jpg

post-5627-0-09609200-1387111242_thumb.jpg

post-5627-0-74674500-1387111909_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Larry. Sounds like you've got enough pieces to put together a good truck. I know there are some that sill shun you for not doing your own work, but I applaud those who realize their limitations and are willing to have someone else to the work to keep a classic vehicle on the road. All I will recommend is to keep close tabs on the work being done at the shop. Try to take an active roll in the restoration and possibly learn a thing or two about it in the process. We look forward to seeing the finished product. Keep us posted along the way.

Merle

• Like 1

The engine is slowly being rebuilt  5 cylinders were just bored, but one was sleeved.  I purchased the bearing, rod, and piston sets from Vintage Powerwagons.  The B2B was stripped to the frame painted, radiator core replaced with modern style, the tires were replaced with Firestone radials 215/85R16.

post-5627-0-43095800-1387114063_thumb.jpg

post-5627-0-73194900-1387114141_thumb.jpg

post-5627-0-60927600-1387114308_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The cab and doors were very rusted out on the B2B. After much consideration I decided to cut the dash out of the B2B and install in the B3B cab. I hated to lose the original lines of the door on the B2B. I was adamant that I wanted the B2B dash. I read on one post someone laughing about an orange pickup. I will use this pickup for a very high priced toy. Already own 6 other dodge pickups for work. I want the toy to stand out in a crowd. I chose hemi orange for the color.

post-5627-0-17564800-1387115780_thumb.jpg

post-5627-0-84158100-1387115824_thumb.jpg

post-5627-0-41457300-1387115884_thumb.jpg

post-5627-0-95227600-1387116376_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Due to a break in my work I have spent some time at the body shop tearing down doors and sandblasting last week.  Broken frozen door pins, door and window handles, and passenger side door locks were the norm.  Someone had taken a punch and pounded the lock screw out of the way on the door lock on the B3B door.  Cut the door skin open and switched for the one off of the B2B.

post-5627-0-43275500-1387118282_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Larry:  Nice looking project.  You probably don't realize this, but you are learning a great deal.  I like the older style dashes too.  My 1 ton is registered as a 52, but its actually a 49 with a 52 nose that the previous owner put on.  Sharp folks at shows pick up the differences, but most don't care.   Its all good and please keep posting pictures.  There is a lot of knowlege on this board to draw from.  Best of luck.  Mike

Edited by MBFowler
  • Like 1

You say the doors are rotted beyond repair on the B2, so I understand that you plan to use the B3 doors but would rather have the B2 styling? How are the B1C doors? If they are usable, use them on your B3 cab with the B2 dash and in the end nobody will be the wiser. You'll have a B1,2,3 cab that will have a completely stock appearance. ;)

You will certainly have a one of a kind with that color. Looks good.

Merle

I am guilty of being one who will spew corrections on a vehicle claimed as "original" when I can spot things on it that ain't.  For example, I was at a museum recently where there was a nice Pilot-House parked amongst the shiny chromed up buggies from the 50s, and that truck had chrome front & rear bumpers, as well as parking lights that probably came from Western Auto back in the day...couldn't help but point this out to the folks I was with (and to those within earshot).

But one of these trucks that is customized to the owner's likes?  I'm all for that too...I commend ya for identifying what ya can save & re-use and what is going to be nothing more than another trip to the scrap yard.  It wasn't out of the ordinary for these trucks to be used til the wheels fell off, and that's why they are getting harder to find these days.  On my '48, I've got a hood from a '50 Fluid Drive; I've also got a complete '52 Fluid Drive chassis + powertrain & TX title...so someday the two shall be together.......

I'm curious why the cab was painted with the under-sill panels attached...were they welded in place?

A little fyi on them Firestone tires:  they do fit the stock rims, but the tires are probably E-rated, so if ya inflate them to more than 35 psi, it'll be a rough ride.  I've looked at tires over the years, and even though the modern 215/85R16 are equivalent size to the original 6.50-16, they are in a higher weight rating (D- or E-rated as opposed to B- or C-rated), so it's like putting stiffer springs on yer buggy.  Coker Tire doesn't list any radial 215/85R16s, but they do have 6.50-16s in bias ply from Firestone, BFG & STA.  Some folks have remedied the use of the stiffer tires by removing a leaf or two from their spring packs.

One alternative to throw out there if ya haven't heard about it: The Gener-nator  :cool:

Edited by JBNeal
added link
  • Like 2

Don Coatney:  I am glad you like the color, but with the colorful posts you make it does not surprise me that you would accept the bright color.

Merle: all the tin work was very rusty and beat up on the B1, but surprisingly did cut out the front part of the seat platform to replace the cancered front on the B3B.

JB Neal: The under-sill panels were not welded in place.  Don't know why there were not removed before painting.  I knew the tires would not improve the ride but wanted a radial and as much height as possible due to the low geared stock rear-end.  I have studied posts to determine how many leafs to remove from the spring packs.  I am starting with 6 on the front and 7 on the rear.  From what I have read this is even more than most.  How many should I remove?  The heaviest thing that will ever be in the back is a cooler of beer.  I will convert to 12 volt but probably just a conventional alternator.  The amount of money I am getting wrapped up in this is phenomenal.  Will never tell my wife the total bill.

Hey Larry;

Very interesting project. I like the earlier dash design......that came out real nice.

Color choice is a personal thing.......just 'cause it isn't a stock color doesn't mean it isn't going to look good. I painted mine a cream color and am very happy I did. For what it is worth......you are the one paying the bills.....so you are the one it has to please.

And as you have already found out these are not the cheapest trucks to do a major project on. :)

Jeff

Just ordered the window gaskets from Steele Rubber $470. Front, corners and rear. I spent numerous hours reading posts on this. Hard to believe spend almost twice as much for the rubber as the glass. Three times as much as Robert's gaskets. I hope they are worth it.

Welcome! Anything you do to save one of these old boys is ok in my book as long as its not a crap rod!

Now younged has an orange brother for his orange truck! :)

Edited by ggdad1951

Welcome! Anything you do to save one of these old boys is ok in my book as long as its not a crap rod!

Now younged has an orange brother for his orange truck! :)

How did I know that was coming? Now we can demonstrate a real orange truck so you see mines red!

The 53 cab will have the wiper holes off center while the 48-50 will have a hole neatly on each side of the cowl vent. With the dash change, I wonder how many of us would have guessed the cab change? Especially if he had used the 48 doors instead of the 53....hmmmmm.

Great truck(s) Larry, looks great. Dig the racer orange!

48D     

Edited by 48dodger

• 2 months later...