Flywheel for motor swap

fivelug

I pulled the Bellhousing off of a 1938 Dodge RC 218 engine, 25 inch block. The bellhousing is different on the transmission side They gave more room for the clutch plate. I Took some pictures , will try and post them later. You are probably right about the flywheels though too. The one that I had in the 36 I had replaced a while back. The one that came out of the truck was thicker on the block side . I'll have to measure them tomorrow. Anyway I should be ok now with the 218 bellhousing having more room inside at the top.  

I did just realize though I would have to use a 37 or 38 transmission though because the 36 has the shifter moved forward. It sits on part of the bellhousing. I'm trying to find a different flywheel now. 

DSC02255.JPG

DSC02257.JPG

Edited by wiboater
Wanted to add something

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2019 at 10:14 AM, wiboater said:

Anyone know the reason the holes on the flywheel are drilled so it will only fit on in one position? Just curious. I can see if it were balanced on the engine at the factory but if you replaced one it would be different. 

My guess:  The parts are balanced separately when new but with a 'dummy' standard flywheel or crank attached.  The hole offset assures the real part is assembled as the dummy was when balanced.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/6/2013 at 2:58 PM, wayfarer said:

You might want to check that engine id code.

The 230 is a 23" engine.

I would be shocked to see a 4-bolt crank pattern on any 25" crank.

The 172 tooth ring gear started in 1957 on the v-8's, and the crank flange projection of the pre-62 v-8 is the same 1.1875" as the L-6.

The bell housing will be different between the 146 and 172 wheel simply due to the wheel diameter and the resulting starter location. 

wonder if this thread is still alive., if so, i have a question.  i have been given a P26 engine to replace the blown one in my 1959 Dodge truck. Now this P26 block for some reason has a 4 bolt crank, and matching flywheel. But the flywheel had the 146 tooth count, so i replaced the ring gear with the 172 version, which was on the 1959 engine.  will there be a problem with this, using the 12 V starter and this 4 bolt crank/flywheel?

It's my understanding that the 8-bolt crank was employed to deal with the resisting torque of fluid drive couplings.  I'm guessing that if the 4-bolt and 8-bolt flanges have identical geometry, then additional holes cold be machined...not something I would try with a handheld drill.  I was also under the impression that the 8-hole pattern was not symmetrical, so there's that detail to verify.  I think the flywheels are interchangeable, but there must have been a good reason why Chrysler upgraded to to 8-bolt crank for the flathead torque monsters... ?