New to Forum: 1949 Plymouth Business Coupe

kented

IMG_20141130_101150_zpsfdgtt3cz.jpg

Drained the old gas out. Did a flammability test and it was absolutely terrible lol Purged out the fuel line. Reconnected the line to the carb and I guess with the cold we've had/ car sitting the carb gaskets are shot and its leaking fuel bad. Ordered a rebuild kit that will be here tomorrow. Next weekend :D thanks for all your help

• 3 weeks later...

In the process of rebuilding the carb. If you haven't i highly suggest, easier than i thought and lots of the jets/holes were partially plugged

I used these 2 very informative videos \

I was able to get the rebuild kit from a local NAPA for around $20. Nice to have a clean carb again. Good news is i've finally moved into a place with a 2 car garage. However the car is located 2hrs from where i am. Wont be back out to the car until the new year so i hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Updates in 2015!

Edited by kented
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

HELP NEEDED!

OK so the car is all ready to start. Car sounds like it almost starts however the starter is cutting out right away and disengaging causing it to free spin.

Carb is rebuilt. Good spark. New gas.

Starter is 6V running 12V. Original as far as I can tell. Is something worn causing it to pre maturely pull out (insert joke here)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I am having the same problem. I took the starter to be rebuild and the shop said it found broken parts and rebuilt it. It sounded different when cranking but still disengaugea after it gets a little hot. I ask the shop about 6v starter on a 12v system and they said it will just make the started turn fasted but shouldn't hurt it.

• 1 month later...

Pulled the starter

IMG_20150228_121446_zpsyth7bzns.jpg

Looks as though the teeth are damaged?

IMG_20150228_121442_zpsbp2f3m40.jpg

I'll open it up this week and check inside. Ive got a rebuild kit from Andy's.

Installed new wiper arms/blades along with new cowl lacing.

IMG_20150228_121427_zpsjjvwa3yg.jpg

IMG_20150228_121416_zps3jrojmk7.jpg

IMG_20150228_123229_zpsglrz2ifs.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

OK flathead gurus I need your help.

Installed new starter I got off eBay as the first 1/4" of my old starter was shaved off and I thought that was causing the starter to disengage pre maturely.

Car still does not start. Confirmed timing, good spark, rebuilt carb, good compression. We tried to start it about 10 times at which point you think the car would be flooded. Not so, plugs were still dry but we did find a significant pool of fuel in the intake. Do I have a major vacuum leak somewhere? The fuel does not seem to be getting pulled into the cylinders. What vacuum should I be getting during cranking and where is the best place to check?

Also any other ideas? Getting pretty frustrated.

Thanks!

Short term plans: 

Rear wheel has a major wobble, unsure if not balanced or something worse 

Kent,

Did you ever figure out what was causing the rear wheel wobble? I'm having a similar problem with my '46 Plymouth - driver's side rear wheel wobbles so much, I've had over a dozen people stop me while driving to tell me about it.

Thanks!

Kent,

Did you ever figure out what was causing the rear wheel wobble? I'm having a similar problem with my '46 Plymouth - driver's side rear wheel wobbles so much, I've had over a dozen people stop me while driving to tell me about it.

Thanks!

Jack up that corner of the car and do some runout tests on it.  It could go in as far as the hub and drum if the were bent while pulling the hub some time in the past.

Kent,

Thanks!

Yeah the wheel was bent. Havnt had time to change it yet but ive got a solid straight rim to swap. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good news!!!

Car finally fired up and the problem seemed to lie in about 3 places, My timing was off 180 degrees, nostalgic spark plug wires had cracked causing poor spark and finally when i re-wired the car to 12V i ran a smaller gauge wire to the starter. This caused the starter to disengage any time it met resistance as it did not have enough power to hold in. I ran a 0 gauge wire that i had spare from my battery relocation. I purchased some Taylor 8mm high performance spark plug wires to replace the cracked ones. 

Couldn't believe how smooth it ran after sitting for 1 1/2 years, no stalling, spuddering or loss of power.

https://youtu.be/oAbsl-TzDx0

https://youtu.be/xTBCciCRNVc

https://youtu.be/hUuXJJWqHXU

Brakes need some work now as the pedal won't come back once depressed. Car is getting trailer'd up to my new home and garage then i will have lots of updates :)

Edited by kented
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finally some sort of an update

The car is being trailered to my new home saturday as I didn't think driving 3hrs on a mountain highway was a good test drive haha.

Things left to do before on the road are wire headlights, running lights and turns. Clean up some pieces, get the drivers side trim repaired ( don't ask :( ) and do a once over of the brakes as the pedal isn't returning after being depressed.

Trying to at least insure it for the month of November before old man winter returns.

Wish me luck!