Ok....so is it just me?

Jeff Balazs

Just getting things sorted out and I have run into sort of an ergonomics issue.

Maybe it is just me and my size 12 clodhoppers but I have noticed a interference issue between my foot.....the break pedal......and the stomp starter. Yesterday I was testing the brakes ....... wanted to see what it was going to feel like to do a panic stop. About half the time the toe of my shoe would catch on the stop starter as I went to apply the brakes. Anybody else have this happen?

I suppose it will go away with time as my foot gets more educated........but it is a bit disconcerting right now.

Jeff

if this is a problem..convert to a solenoid starter...not good for starter or flywheel to engage a running engine..

you definitely would not be a good candidate for driving a Sunbeam Tiger...saying you have close pedal area is an exaggeration...even with size 7 1/2 you can often hit the accelerator when braking..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

:lol: I am not catching the stomp starter enough to engage the starter......it just sort of keeps my foot from making full contact with the brake pedal.

I guess I am not used to the brake pedal position yet. It isn't bad it is just very different from what I am used to.

Tim;

I have driven a Tiger. :) Helped a neighbor rebuild one back in the early 80's. I don't remember the pedal positions being any issue. I do however remember two things rather clearly.........dropping the engine out the bottom.........and pretty lousy cornering. Was a blast in a straight line though. He spent a whole bunch of money on the engine and had about 370 HP on tap. Pacific Coast Highway between Newport Beach and Laguna was a whole lot of fun on Friday nights until he moved back to Scotland. Very quick from 0 to 100 as long as you were going straight and didn't need to stop quickly. :eek:

Jeff

they are a different car for sure...handling should not have been that bad though...??? plenty of suspension beefing could have been done..lots of folks like that speed/acceleration and give little regard to handling stopping thus the dollars go where their main interest lies...v-room v-room ..I have never cared for the power brake booster setup on these cars either...and right now have my caliper ready to back on the car...replaced the 48 year old pistons with new..last thing done to the brakes was 20+ years ago by me..and later about 10 years ago I put new rubber front flex lines on..almost a zero maintenance car with the Chrysler electronic ignition I upgrade to..with the size foot you say you have..am surprised you have never hit the accelerator when braking..but again..you sound as though the brakes was not used often...lol A Scot in a Tiger..oh the pain at the gas pumps for him....lol

• Haha 1

Tim;

Yes....he definitely shot his wad on the engine. It was a fun car even if it was a bit quirky.

I lost a couple of buddies in a Tiger back in '74. They were on the way to meet a huge group of us at the Colorado River for Easter vacation. Went under a semi trailer at speed on the last big bend in Rice Road. Both of them were decapitated. Not a pleasant sight for those of us who were behind them by about half an hour. :(

I imagine I will get used to this pedal position fairly soon. I guess I am just lifting my leg too much to transition from the gas to the brake pedal. No issues with the clutch though....it's nice.

Jeff

Hey....I recognize that car and yard......lol

If things calm a bit maybe this fall we have another cookout at my place or...if I get my arsnicks in gear, drive the 48 bz cp to Don's for a bit hospitality..

So do I. I remember it being a tight fit in the driver's seat, and I could barely get my feet on the pedals with my knees under the dash. :D

I don't have that problem here Jeff. I have to watch that my passenger keeps their foot away from the starter pedal. It's a bit of a stretch with the with the left leg to hit the starter in a RHD truck.

Sounds to me that your issue is a simple case of 'size-matters'  :rolleyes:

there is an adjustment that can be made on the starter switch so that the starter pedal is not so sensitive from being brushed up against.  I recall the starter pedal having a 2-3" travel before contacting the starter lever, and then the adjustable travel for the lever to contact the switch.  But if ya make the Bendix starter upgrade, that starter pedal can be used as an attitude adjuster that can fit in the glovebox :cool:

there is an adjustment that can be made on the starter switch so that the starter pedal is not so sensitive from being brushed up against.  I recall the starter pedal having a 2-3" travel before contacting the starter lever, and then the adjustable travel for the lever to contact the switch.  But if ya make the Bendix starter upgrade, that starter pedal can be used as an attitude adjuster that can fit in the glovebox :cool:

I certainly would not be adverse to ditching the stomp starter......what is involved with the Bendix starter conversion? Is it an ultra rare item? and will it fit a fluid drive bell housing?

Jeff

from what I recall, the Bendix drive starters were used on the cars, and included a firewall mounted starter relay and a starter momentary switch (push button would be the easiest install).  The Bendix starter gear & truck flywheel ring gear would have to be verified as compatible.  I have not done this swap, but I've seen a few pics online of it done with Plymouth powertrains installed in a B-series.  Another option is to get a later year flathead starter with the conventional starter solenoid instead of a Bendix drive unit, again verifying the starter gear and flywheel ring gear compatibility.  I don't have the specifics, but I recall that anything flathead from '57 to '60 went to 12V and they also changed the flywheel ring gear, so these items couldn't be used on earlier flatheads even though they looked similar.

and you know I need one of those.  I'm working on it.

Hank  :)

Did someone move the starter pedal?  It should be to the right and above (mounted in the lower firewall) the gas pedal.

No it is between the gas pedal and the brake pedal. And it sticks up quite a bit so it isn't all that far from the brake pedal.

Jeff

I think you just gotta learn to not lift your foot that far!  That's quite a ways up!

2012-05-11135025.jpg

Ok....so it is just me. :huh: The gas pedal in mine is skewed a bit more to the right in my cab Merle.

I suppose it is because I have never had a vehicle that you had to lift your foot so high off the floor to use the brake pedal. I guess I am just over compensating. I am sure I will get used to it. But to be totally truthful I wouldn't mind it if there was a simple and inexpensive way to fit a Bendix type starter.

Jeff