6 Volt Batterie's

Rodney Bullock

I have noticed that batteries for the original cars have shrunk I bought a battery yesterday and it measures 9 inches. My other battery is 10 inches. The cold cranking amps are les as well. The question I am asking is the battery you bought as small mine or I'm I shopping in the wrong place? I remember The guy giving me a group 2 battery, I don't know what this battery is.

I have an Exide commercial group 1 with 720 CCA.  I get mine at the local Exide warehouse.  Always try to get a blem or second.  Usually get them for 35 bucks or so.  Last one lasted 7 years.  Also have an Interstate ware house and have gotten a couple batteries there also, but not 6 V.

Napa auto parts also carries 6 volt batteries. They will have to order it since they don't keep them in stock. They usually get it the same day if you go early enough. I have had good luck with them considering the car sits most of the time. They usually last about 6 years.

I just called the local Exide distributor (8 miles from my house) and they carry a 6 volt group two battery..no blems at this store and currently no used for sale at this time either...new out the door is 105.00 plus exchange..My 54 atuomtic for some reason is stated from the factory to use a group two..something I had not found in the local big box or on TSC shelves..though they list it as group two their application chart is only for tractors..ODD I think as they do not have old car application listing..

To answer the original question at the link below is a chart listing battery sizes by Group numbers. These numbers represent physical size only and not cold cranking amp capacity.

Click here ------>  http://www.flemingsalesoem.com/fleming/BCIChart.htm

Interesting, Don. Thanks for posting that.

This must be a group 1 battery. It is small and the cca is lower then the one I gave them. It started the car and ran it. That means nothing because it's new. The last battery I got lasted from 2009 to now. The one before that I got 7 good driving years out of it. I am very close to a napa does any one have a parts number for them. The number on my battery is 904. it's from autozone. Since I put this car in the studio I don't drive it as often so the battery was totally dead. It took a charge however the next day it was dead again.

I just checked Autozone online.  Only offerings were an Optima and a group 1 Duralast.  Not all parts houses stock 6 v batteries and some do. It has nothing to do with the name on the front of the store.  It has to do with demand for the product in your particular area.  We happen to stock group 1 and 2 as well as industrial and commercial usage batteries in 6v and 12 v.  We're in  a small city surrounded by a rural setting.  Farmers still use equipment here that runs on six volts.

Sounds to me like you have an electrical problem that is drawing power all the time. When you connected the battery did it spark?

Do a test as pictured below only use an analog meter. Digital meter is too sensitive. Should have a reading of zero when doing this test when everything is turned off.

test3.jpg

I bought my last Battery at Car Quest a 6 Volt Truck and Bus 880CCA - Same Size as always right about $95 w Core Trade.

Don, I have a clock on my dash that runs all the time. Wouldn't that slowly draw down a battery?

I have a battery tender I put on it every couple months to bring the battery all the way up

just as cheap insurance - if I take a trip - I know she'll start up.

I also replace my batteries in all my cars right around the 36-40 month mark as more

cheap insurance (No Towing Bills) that way either. Most Batteries today do not last much longer than that anyway.

If you buy one and keep up with the date, and replace it before the time stamped on it is up - they give you a new one free.

Free is Good!