Windshield & Cowl Vent Rubbers and Door Locks

1947coupe

Hi, I've got a couple of questions about my '48 Plymouth coupe.

I'm fitting a new cowl vent rubber seal but as there was not on the car I'm not sure whether it's supposed to go on the cowl or the vent flap?

I'll also be refitting the front and rear windshields soon - I seem to recall reading that the glass is installed in the rubber and then they are both fitted to the car from inside, is this correct? The rear winshield rubber I have needs to be cut to length, should I cut it to fit exactly around the glass or slightly short so that it is a snugger fit?

Finally I was wondering how the door locks come out? 

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Rubber goes in the cowl as mentioned.

You are right about how the glass goes in. I would always cut too long. Easy to cut a bit more off if needed but you can't add any on if you cut it too short.

Behind the rubber door seal on the level with the lock there is a small hole. Look carefully to see the allen screw that needs to be loosened to remove the lock. You do not need to take the screw completely out, just loosen enough to remove the lock.

Hope this helps.

Edited by RobertKB

I just replaced my '48 windshield and would recomend looking at youtube and reading everything you can about installing the windshield.    You will need help, two on the inside and someone to pull the cord on the outside.    The inner rim should be squeeky clean and smooth.  Some lube will help.    Have a squirt bottle of dish detergent and water handy so the glass is free.   When seating the rubber push on the rubber because to much pressure on the glass will break it ( don't ask how I know ).   Take your time.  It can be done.

Good Luck

Jim M

Thanks for the advice!

I've done a couple of windshields on other cars so I'm not too worried about this one and will definitely be getting some help! I'm more concerned about the gasket for the rear glass, I agree is easier to cut more off than add some back but would have thought it would give problems fitting if I leave it long. Should I be sticking the ends together before I install it or wait until it's fitted and just put sealer over the join?

RobertKB - would you happen to know the size of the allen screw?

Thanks again

RobertKB - would you happen to know the size of the allen screw?

No I do not know. I have dozens of allen wrenches and just keep trying them until one fits. It's not very big, that I do know.

Probably best to glue ends together before installation. There is very little room for adjustment so the seal should not be too big. That is why I prefer to buy mine as one piece from Steele Rubber.

Edited by RobertKB

I ordered the supposedly correct cowl vent seal from Steele rubber and whilst it was the correct overall shape to fit in the cowl it was the completely wrong profile, when I rang them FROM OZ I got told, "nope we sent the correct thing and yep that's the right part number".........well they didn't and it isn't and wasn't!!!!!!!!.........I got onto Roberts and got the right overall shaped seal with more importantly the correct profile to fit into the body for 1/2 the price..........not happy Andy.............andyd