50 Sportabout on next "Fast and Loud"

bobostski

I watched this episode last night and had no idea that the 50 dodge was going to be a part of it...then when I saw it on the trailer I felt a lump growing in my chest because I know what these guys like to do to cars and it aint pretty. All I could see was ridiculous wheels and a 350 and crappy paint....but when I watched them tinkering with the flatty and get it running and driving again I was happy. I am glad it went to a fellow who knows about these old girls and will fix it up the right way. I thought the price they settled on was fair.  I like watching this show purely for entertainment, but shows like this, counting cars, and del ray's garage are realllllly ruining the old car hobby. My .02

• Like 1

I'm going to do a cosmetic restoration and drive the hell out of it. New paint back to the original  blue-gray, new upholstery. Replace and re-chrome bright work. On the show they said "now it runs perfect"  NOT. Car sat for 10 years . I had to do all the things to get it road able again, Did put wide whites on her. The car originally came out of Prattsville NY and belonged to a Michael Marsh. His daughter took it to Saint Petersburg after his death 10 years ago.

• Like 1

Nice ride Bob. Enjoyed the early morning chat.

Edit: Bob and I chatted early this morning. I did not know about the show. If they run a show like the Texas one where the father is constantly bad mouthing his son I'm not interested.  Doesn't take much money to rebuild an old car if one is patient on buying needed parts, does his own work, and replaces rather then "re-engineers". I figure if someone else learned how, then I can also. Therefore I learn something and that has value in itself.

So I bought a vert for a couple grand and when completed could be worth $14K. Not a bad investment in retirement time.

Vert as found:

53PlyConvert002_zps71d6660a.jpg

Vert 2nd steam cleaning: 

Vertframeandunderbodysteamcleaning001_zp

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

I think that is very cool.  I was guessing a forum member purchased it.  I know you probably can't divulge too much about the shoot.  But is it close to what we see on TV? 

I personally like the show.  I take it for entertainment value and like the style of cars they build.  I even saw the 50 Oldsmobile last fall cruising up into Rocky Mountain National Forest....

Filming episode.

Hey, Bob, glad to see that the car will be in the hands of somebody who will appreciate it on the road, not just set it aside in a garage.

Will we see it in Eureka Springs once in awhile? My folks have a vacation place at nearby Holiday Island. We were down there two weekends ago. It's a great getaway.

Is that a Tucker behind door number 1???   So unless you signed a non disclosure statement, tell us what the filming of reality is like.  What othere stuff was in the shop and around and about.  

A Tucker? I see no Tucker in any of these pictures.  I would be very very very afraid of what would happen to a real Tucker in the hands of these guys. Ever seen a Tucker doing a burnout? Me neither and I kinda want to keep it that way LOL

• Like 1

The Tucker was rear engined so there is a large chrome "grill" going across the tail panel to allow hot air to escape, and also had 3 exhaust tips on each side sticking out from under the bumper.

post-6380-0-20212200-1383930743_thumb.jpg

I think we have a winner...the rear bumper, trunk release handle, and tail lights are all a perfect match for a 46 Lincoln. I like Bob's Lancer better than that Lincoln tho...

I have watched it a few times and I get a kick out of the mechanic that acts a fool, but has some very funny comments.

I enjoy the show even though I don't like some of the things they do to most of the cars. Ok,I don't like almost anything they do to the cars,and actively hate some of it. Especially the "paint over rust" thing.

One thing I like about it is that this is maybe the only car show on tv where sometimes the guy admits he screwed up and lost money on a deal.

Also,the show is about running a business,not a hobby. The guy builds what is trendy and sells. Think of him as a used car salesman with a tv show and it starts to make sense. It's all about the Benjamins and meeting a payroll at the end of the week.

As for them building a car from scratch in two weeks,it's not hard to do when you have more than a dozen people working on it in 2 12 hours shifts that know what they are doing,every tool they need,a place to work,and if you order a custom part the guy that makes it shows up the next day to personally install it. Most of us in the real world just ain't going to place a order to Art Carr for one of his street/strip modified transmissions,and have him show up the next day with it in a crate in the back of a truck,and insist on installing it for us. AND......,no doubt the labor and the transmission were swapped for the advertising. This didn't happen  on Fast and Loud,but I did see it happen on one of the other programs.

In OUR world we are lucky if most of the parts we order even get to us in 2 weeks,never mind finishing the whole car in two weeks.

One program I really hated was some Hollywood weirdo had a custom shop and he and his wife mostly styled and profiled while other people did the work in the background. The guy used to have a minium of one 350 lb bodyguard follow him everywhere he went. I'd have to ask myself "Do I really want to turn my car over to a shop where the owner is so afraid of his customers he always has a bodyguard peeking over his shoulder?"

I'd think you would be seriously pushing your luck to borrow a large sum to finance the purchase vehicles in need of serious restoration, intending to rip through the work in no time and quickly roll the car back over the curb, as we used to say in new car sales.

You can easily afford to do that when you are being paid to buy,work on,and sell the car. I suspect Richard and Aaron are both earning 6 figures for the show,and any money they make on the cars is just gravy.

Is that a Tucker behind door number 1???   So unless you signed a non disclosure statement, tell us what the filming of reality is like.  What othere stuff was in the shop and around and about.  

There is what looks to be a VERY nice cream-colored 36 Ford 3-window coupe in the background with all the paint sanded from the top that never seems to get worked on. Which suits me perfectly because I suspect some idiot took it there to have the top chopped and that's why the top is in bare metal.

IMHO,the 36 Ford 3-window coupe is one  of the most beautiful designs to ever come from any factory not in Ft.Wayne,Indiana,and since you can't improve on perfect you need to leave it the hell alone.

There is what looks to be a VERY nice cream-colored 36 Ford 3-window coupe in the background with all the paint sanded from the top that never seems to get worked on. Which suits me perfectly because I suspect some idiot took it there to have the top chopped and that's why the top is in bare metal.

IMHO,the 36 Ford 3-window coupe is one  of the most beautiful designs to ever come from any factory not in Ft.Wayne,Indiana,and since you can't improve on perfect you need to leave it the hell alone.

You talking Binders here?

You talking Binders here?

Nope,Auburns,Cords,and Duesenbergs.

If any of you are ever in the area,you owe it to yourself to stop by the A-C-C museum/factory and take a tour there. IMHO,the 3 most beautiful cars in the entire world were all built in that little factory.

Yeah,I know. You have all seen photos of Auburns,Cords,and Duesenbergs. It ain't the same thing as standing next to one and looking at it,though. Trust me on this. When I was there there was a deep maroon Cord Cabriolet next to the door that I would spend stupid money to own,if I had stupid money. AND....,I'd drive it around to show everybody what cars are supposed to look like.

BTW,I do have a 1939 D-2 IHC pu that is (IMHO) pretty damn stylish if you like the art deco styling of the late 30's,but neither it nor any other Binder compares to the A-C-D's.

Edited by knuckleharley

The ACD factory and museum is in Auburn, Indiana about 20 miles north of Fort Wayne. I have been there many times and it is well worth the trip

Ooops! My mistake. Thanks for the correction.

BTW,for those who have never been there,there is some sort of trasnsportation museum right across the street from it. I didn't get a chance to go in there because I was tired and on a schedule when I visited the A-C-D museum,but it sounded promising.

BTW,I do have a 1939 D-2 IHC pu that is (IMHO) pretty damn stylish if you like the art deco styling of the late 30's,but neither it nor any other Binder compares to the A-C-D's.

Very much agreed. I do love the D series IHC pickups. Only IH vehicles in the fleet are 2 R pickups and a 75 Scout II XLC