Floor Shift Boots - FYI

I searched for rubber boots for the floor shift and emergency brake lever on my B1B to no avail. Finally found just what is needed at Mac's on the internet - under mid-forties Ford parts. They even have a choice of brown or black. Should at least seal up the holes . . . :)

Dave,

I have a floor shift boot you can have. I bought it before I realized I didn't need it. My 51 has the dash mounted parking brake.

I am in need of a floor shift boot however. Do you have contact info for Mac's ?

Thanks,

Brad

• 9 years later...

Resurrecting this old link, I found a few discussions about boots for floor shift and brake in a 49. But have never seen a pic to know what it should look like AND Dave, I'd love to know the source that you found for the boots.  I too have a 49 B1B floor shift and ebrake.  I got the truck with a desoto engine, Just got a 1950 Dodge 230 flattie in it's rightful place and I plan to put the little 3 speed trans that came with the truck in. It looks like it'll mate up but the stick is straight and it is a  little farther back than the hole originally in the floor tin was.  maybe a car trans with that desoto?...The previous owner elongated the hole for the ebrake (moving it back) and hogged out the hole for the trans. Is there a floor tin that should fit what I got or should I get to fabing some steel back iinto the tin I have then pop some boots on?.

1. Source for floor boots please

2. pics or thoughts on trans and floor tin.If there is a trans tin piece that fits what I got I'd be interested in buying it along with the boots.

Thanks,

Jay

floor tin_trans.jpg

Edited by jmooner3

2 hours ago, jmooner3 said:

Resurrecting this old link, I found a few discussions about boots for floor shift and brake in a 49. But have never seen a pic to know what it should look like AND Dave, I'd love to know the source that you found for the boots.  I too have a 49 B1B floor shift and ebrake.  I got the truck with a desoto engine, Just got a 1950 Dodge 230 flattie in it's rightful place and I plan to put the little 3 speed trans that came with the truck in. It looks like it'll mate up but the stick is straight and it is a  little farther back than the hole originally in the floor tin was.  maybe a car trans with that desoto?...The previous owner elongated the hole for the ebrake (moving it back) and hogged out the hole for the trans. Is there a floor tin that should fit what I got or should I get to fabing some steel back iinto the tin I have then pop some boots on?.

1. Source for floor boots please

2. pics or thoughts on trans and floor tin.If there is a trans tin piece that fits what I got I'd be interested in buying it along with the boots.

Thanks,

Jay

just an FYI, dave (greybeard) passed away a bit ago.

Bummer! He was a wealth of knowledge and seemed like a real nice guy! Cheers to Dave!

Does anyone have a picture of what the boots are supposed to look like?

How about a source for the two boots for the B1B floor shift and ebrake through floor?

Thanks,

J

Not sure about the  parking brake but have you seen this one for the shifter? 

https://dcmclassics.com/interior-parts/516-i-233-gear-shift-dust-cover-no-1.html

https://dcmclassics.com/dust-and-air-seals/149-i-215-gear-shift-boot.html

Edited by Brent B3B
Add boot cover link

45 minutes ago, Brent B3B said:

Not sure about the  parking brake but have you seen this one for the shifter? 

https://dcmclassics.com/interior-parts/516-i-233-gear-shift-dust-cover-no-1.html

Looks right, I just could not break free the knob to get mine on in FEF.

The factory didn't supply a shift boot for the floor shifts.

The floor mat was cut tight to the transmission tower.

This from looking at Don Bunns book and truck sales films.

• Like 3

The little dust cover shown in Brent's link is also shown in Bernbaum's catalog  for trucks 1939 - 1956 for $9 . They are a very durable ABS plastic and not rubber . My floor mat is cut tight to the transmission tower as Dodgeb4ya mentioned and is works out well . The tiny boot that is sold for the parking brake lever is a joke and doesn't nearly cover the long area , I grabbed a boot  from an old chevy truck shifter in the wrecking yard to use on the parking brake lever and it covers pretty well but I haven't decided yet to fasten it down to the floor or not . When you are doing all of your lubrication points remember to put a couple drops of oil under the dust cover of the transmission tower , that is an easy one to forget . 

12 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

The factory didn't supply a shift boot for the floor shifts.

The floor mat was cut tight to the transmission tower.

This from looking at Don Bunns book and truck sales films.

I don't have any on mine either, I wonder what the part 21-29-25 looks like (section G-1)  

Edited by Brent B3B
deleted link as not to confuse - my duh moment, thanks Rob!

42 minutes ago, Jerry Roberts said:

The little dust cover shown in Brent's link is also shown in Bernbaum's catalog  for trucks 1939 - 1956 for $9 . They are a very durable ABS plastic and not rubber . My floor mat is cut tight to the transmission tower as Dodgeb4ya mentioned and is works out well . The tiny boot that is sold for the parking brake lever is a joke and doesn't nearly cover the long area , I grabbed a boot  from an old chevy truck shifter in the wrecking yard to use on the parking brake lever and it covers pretty well but I haven't decided yet to fasten it down to the floor or not . When you are doing all of your lubrication points remember to put a couple drops of oil under the dust cover of the transmission tower , that is an easy one to forget . 

I can tell you that there is some oil that gets up on the shiftier pivot that can get on things you may or may not have rolling around the floor of the cab (or your shoes).  A boot to cover that would be nice.  I think I have a rubber one floating around from my build, but I never could get the knob off my shifter to get it put on.  On page 21-1 of the parts book sure looks like some sort of (non part numbered) boot on the shifter for the B, C and D trucks.

21-29-25 comes up as the shift cover gasket....

• Like 1

Thanks! Good to know.

I may skip the boot and just search out some rubber matting. Would be simple to lay out and cut to fit before I put tranny back in. I'm guessing, the rubber mat basically becomes the boot to keep the dirt and stuff on the road side. Do ya'll have your floor mat fastened down or is it free wheeling. Pictures? Sources of rubber?

Also I'm going to touch up the dash before I put gauges back in, I'm probably going to paint the outside blue again someday, but thinking I'd just hit the inside with black. I was thinking POR15 for the floors but I've heard there's issues with getting paint to stick to it.

This is NOT a show truck, just thinking I should get everything inside one color before I move on...

Looking for insight on paint for dash, doors, floors.  Should I shoot it with a quality base clear or just a rattle can prime and paint?   Will something like rustolium be durable enough?

Jay..

I have in the FEF thread floor mat material or there have been other threads talking about it.  Mine just sits in there.  Between the shifter, gas pedal and how it's cut it doesn't move.

• 3 years later...
On 1/30/2017 at 12:39 PM, ggdad1951 said:

Looks right, I just could not break free the knob to get mine on in FEF.

I know you have no interest in pulling the shift knob off FEF at this point but, for others trying to remove the knob and can not. I recently discovered there are two different knobs for these trucks. ( could have sworn I saw a thread about it years ago) 

All my B3/B4 have been a threaded style up until recently..... I pulled the transmission out of a B3D cassis and it was a “push on type” 

9F48260F-7AD4-4022-9430-869E188BCE42.jpeg.7d83687efb83592c54f6502f229837bc.jpegEF84B688-2206-498A-AB45-D516ADF610F4.jpeg.b2cdeafe460fd93d06a7b0f5fe283e71.jpeg

both transmissions were synchro 
anyway, in removing if the knob doesn’t “turn” on the B3 try and “pull”

if JB finds the old thread referring to the different knobs I will edit this page to reduce confusion 

I would have expected to find vertical serrations on a "pull" style knob in stead of the crosshatched  serrations as shown.  Have you tried heating that up and giving it a twist now that it's out in the open?

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

additional information - shift knobs ?

additional information - shift knob threads ?? 

thinking outside the box, the shifters can be cut directly below the old knob with a hack saw and new threads can be cut for a new knob...sure, the new knob will be maybe 1/2" lower, but I won't tell anybody :cool:

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2021 at 1:31 PM, Brent B3B said:

I know you have no interest in pulling the shift knob off FEF at this point but, for others trying to remove the knob and can not. I recently discovered there are two different knobs for these trucks. ( could have sworn I saw a thread about it years ago) 

All my B3/B4 have been a threaded style up until recently..... I pulled the transmission out of a B3D cassis and it was a “push on type” 

9F48260F-7AD4-4022-9430-869E188BCE42.jpeg.7d83687efb83592c54f6502f229837bc.jpegEF84B688-2206-498A-AB45-D516ADF610F4.jpeg.b2cdeafe460fd93d06a7b0f5fe283e71.jpeg

both transmissions were synchro 
anyway, in removing if the knob doesn’t “turn” on the B3 try and “pull”

if JB finds the old thread referring to the different knobs I will edit this page to reduce confusion 

that is typical for an injection mold type connection where the parts are never meant to come apart.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

after further review, it may be easier to heat up the shift rod to soften the knob material enough to yank it off the rod without destroying the old knob...that way the old knob could be kept as a trophy like a pulled WDT, and the rod can be cleaned up and threaded for a replacement knob...no need for a hacksaw when a propane torch will do :cool:

• Thanks 1