My list is getting shorter.

I woke up early this morning with the realization that the list of stuff I need to do to finally get my truck back on the road is pretty darn short now.  :) 

It almost doesn't seem possible. For the longest time I had piles of parts that needed repair etc or were ready to go back on. They are all back on now. Honestly it felt like it was going to go on forever......especially when I wasn't making the kind of progress I thought I should. Sometimes a weeks progress was measured by the smallest increment. Like finding some special little fastener or straightening out a bent bracket.

There were some real chores along the way. Digging the disintegrated WDT out of the block.......and straightening the bent frame are two I won't be likely to forget any time soon. :eek: In retrospect I think every L6 owner should probably go through a WDT extraction like I experienced. I have seen where some have.......but I think a lot of you have got off way too easy. :) It by itself will give you a whole new appreciation for cooling system maintenance.

So what is left now? I need to add a exhaust system hanger back at the tailpipe. Needs to have the alignment checked. I need to borrow one of my friends service rack and do a full on safety inspection. I need to do some severe braking tests to see if the proportioning valve is set correctly.

Oh yes ...... I need to send my instrument cluster back to Keven to repair the temp sender....again.

Third time is the charm :mad:  At least I got all the other instruments working before I broke this ...again.

There are some other things I would like to do......but they can all keep until after I get it back on the road. It is really hard to get used to the idea that it is almost done.

Jeff

• Like 1

Jeff, sent a couple of temp gauges back as well. Finally got an aftermarket gauge which I used until I was finished. Bale wire makes a good "adjustable" tail pipe hanger, and put on the final tires and drive it before you align the front.

Rack, YES. Get a paint pencil or nail polish and color each bolt as you check. So easy to miss one. It REALLY helps the 2nd time because you can find them and you will then find the one(s) you missed the first time. I did a 2nd check after about 250 miles.

It' will never be perfect so get it on the road.  

I woke up early this morning with the realization that the list of stuff I need to do to finally get my truck back on the road is pretty darn short now.  :)

Jeff

This is such an encouraging post. ... Maybe someday we'll all be at this point.  :D

Until we start the next project.  :P

Paul;

Thanks for the good advice. Those sender tubes sure are fragile. Not exactly sure where it broke this time. All I know is I hate the smell of ether!!! And you are right it will never be perfect. My next project will be the continuation of this one. I figure I can keep busy at it til I get it just so.......or keel over......whichever comes first. :)

I am looking forward to meeting up with you and others here out on the road. From day one..... one of my biggest sources of inspiration on this project was DollyDodge. I really enjoyed his postings of the adventures he had with his truck. Hopefully he has finally got what he needs to get his truck back on the road after such a long and unplanned absence. For his sake I sure hope so.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, did you happen to dump some of the things on your list off on to mine? Cause mine seems to be getting longer and longer haha :P Glad to hear of your achievements, hope you have lots of fun driving the old girl.

-Chris

Hi Chris;

It wasn't me man. :) That sounds like something Hank would do. :P Just kidding.......

I know there were times with my project when it seemed like all the list did was grow. And because of changes I decicded upon as the build progressed that actually occurred. I think it is the nature of the beast. I know I went into it thinking I was only going to take things to a certain point.........only to find that my designated point was just not a good place to stop. All puns aside one area I went way further than I originally intended was the brakes. I actually purchased and fit all new parts to the existing brakes before I decided to switch over to disc brakes. This was a very bitter pill to swallow......but now that I have had a chance to try the discs out I am really happy I did.

I am no expert on the process of building one of these trucks. There are probably as many ways to go about this as there are people and trucks. The one thing that I found works for me is to keep some kind of momentum going ALL the time. Even if it is something very minor.....a bit of progress helps to keep us motivated.

It is pretty easy to find some small item you can do this with ........ and I find it works to help keep me happy when the bigger items are just not falling into place.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

My lists start out fairly short and generalized. As I get into them, the list gets more definitive and specific, close to the end, it's some individual details that needs to be addressed.

Paul;

I think we might just have a different philosophy when it comes to what is important. :D

No one is going to cut me any slack with a dicey vehicle around here. Vintage or not. I wish I lived in a local where I could sort it out as I go. That would be awesome. Trust me ......... you got to hit the ground running if you want to survive our traffic. It is one of the main reasons I went the extra mile on the brakes and lighting like I did. And the main reason I put 3 point belts in. I know there are many who consider this over the top for one of our trucks. Well......not me....I've seen way too many idiot drivers and the accidents they cause around here. Hardly a day goes by when you don't see something that will stand your hair up.

Besides I got way too much work into this to rush it along now. It will get there when I am 100% confident in what I have put together. And not before.

Jeff

Uggh! California traffic. I feel pretty lucky my rural maiden voyage will only be 1.5 miles to town. You got me thinking my list may be short too. I restored a 66 Mercedes and Atlanta traffic was merciless too. I completely understand.

Uggh! California traffic. I feel pretty lucky my rural maiden voyage will only be 1.5 miles to town. You got me thinking my list may be short too. I restored a 66 Mercedes and Atlanta traffic was merciless too. I completely understand.

:D There are many parts of California that are great to drive in. The problem is that it takes a few hours of running the gauntlet for me to get to them. It is pretty bad 24/7 going anywhere in the coastal part of SoCal these days...and getting worse all the time. 

That's funny Jeff  :D I think that Hank has been too busy working on his own to-do list to be playing his usual pranks here!

Davin; :rolleyes: I know....I'm bad. I just couldn't resist. I'll bet he wished he had spent more time on that wiring and less time fussing with a radio when he found that little mess. It could have easily crapped out on him in a real bad spot.

I am sure I probably seem a bit paranoid to those of you that live in more rural areas........but I am certain if any of you were to spend a few weeks driving around this region you would more than understand why. It is brutal on a good day.

Jeff

Years ago we dreaded the infamous four layer interchange, then it was the 101 interchange, now its as far north as Magic Mountain.  I do not like to drive anyfurther south than Bakersfield.

Yeah, Driving the So Cal freeway system is always a fun challenge. I drive them  almost every day with my truck, The real crazy ones dart in and out of traffic trying to get to heaven 10 minutes before the rest of us. 'Ole Bessie and I just lag back in the right lane and move at our own pace. People in modern autos get in accidents all the time, Driving a vintage truck or car just means you have to look 5 cars ahead, 4 cars wide and EXPECT the rest of the Dummies on the road to do something stupid right in front of you.Just all part of the fun of living in Sunny So Cal.   

Rod

• Like 1

:D There are many parts of California that are great to drive in. The problem is that it takes a few hours of running the gauntlet for me to get to them. It is pretty bad 24/7 going anywhere in the coastal part of SoCal these days...and getting worse all the time. 

Moved from the LA metro area to the SF Bay area 15 years ago. I found everything cost more in the Silicon Valley except auto insurance. Same drivers, same cars, insurance was half what I paid in the San Fernando Valley. Says something about what the insurance company thought about drivers in both areas.

There are some really nice roads for old car touring just minutes from where I live now and no need to get on a freeway to get to them. I think Central and Northern California are more old car friendly, at least for stock running gear, than Southern California. And, except for the summer heat, the Central Valley has a bunch of ways you can get around on farm and secondary roads so it is pretty nice too.

Yeah, Driving the So Cal freeway system is always a fun challenge. I drive them  almost every day with my truck, The real crazy ones dart in and out of traffic trying to get to heaven 10 minutes before the rest of us. 'Ole Bessie and I just lag back in the right lane and move at our own pace. People in modern autos get in accidents all the time, Driving a vintage truck or car just means you have to look 5 cars ahead, 4 cars wide and EXPECT the rest of the Dummies on the road to do something stupid right in front of you.Just all part of the fun of living in Sunny So Cal.   

Rod

Really pretty accurate...

Hank  :o