Perhaps a new V8 for our 1947 Desoto Suburban

James_Douglas

'48 and earlier used a different steering arrangement ( pitman arm on bottom of steering-gear, both tie rods attach directly to pitman arm assembly). The steering gear box sits inside the frame.

Don't remember if the steering gear box is placed further to the side on the '49 & later...  I have a '50 NYer,  but it's been decades since I peeked under the hood.

'48-'41 De soto / Chrysler Six should have a 121" WB, while the Straight-Eights had a 127" WB, the stretch being between the A-pillar and the "front axle".

James's car is a Suburban Carryall, which rides a 139" WB (IIRC), and I know the body shell itself is stretched; don't know if there was additional stretch in the cowl, as with the Straight-Eight.

In general, the 1949-'50 Chrysler and De Soto are 4" longer in WB than their '48-'41 predecessors.  I found this out when I tried to swap the M-6 tranny from my '50 NYer in to my '48 NYer.

Vintage6t -  that Red '50 NY'er looks really sweet !

Edited by De Soto Frank