Kai-by-Vecona

Hi everybody,

I just want to say hello. It's great to have a platform like this.
I bought my 1942 Dodge D22 Custom Coupe one and a half year ago in Texas and brought it to Germany.

It was last licensed in California 1957. 1973 the last owner wanted to restore it and insatlled a ne interior, new tires and gave it a paint job, but as I know, it was most of the time kept in a garage.

There wasn't much to do to get it back on the street. I just installed a new wiring harness, new brake cylinders and tires and some little things and enjoyed the first summer. This winter I will get a look at the transmission and engine, and perhaps I try to fix the interior, because the 70s style fabric is really creepy ;-)

Here's a little video of the car and the "restoration" Have fun:

Kai

• Like 4

Cool video!!! I really dig that entire production. I need your friend Frank Widmann to come provide me with some beer!!! From one newbie to another, welcome!

I thought the video was great, too, and welcome to the forum.

Are we sure that's purely a 1970s interior? ... After all, Mopar wasn't above using plaid, at least in the late 1940s and early 1950s Highlanders.

CA0810-99034_6.jpg?lastmod=081410172340

• Like 1

Kai nice car.  I have just bought the 47 in my avatar.  You are correct the interior has to go.  But,  here's a photo of my original 47 interior back shelf.

877.jpg

Spent 3 years in Augsburg from 88-91.  Good times when the wall came down.

GlennCraven: Yes I saw that on some pictures, but the highlander style was more subtle as in you car, not covering everything with a material that is so scratchy you could clean pans with it. I really can imagine why they didn't drive that car so long. I think California or Texas are very hot and you can't sit on that stuff with short pants ;-)

casper50: Seems that this topic will switch into a worst case scenario of interior car design. We should collect all the stuff and create a helloween interior. You were in Germany at the right time. I lived near the border and when the wall came down it was incredible. Come back and let's have a ride to Munich :-)

Welcome to the Forum!  You won't find a better place to find out what you need to know and occasionally test your opinions on these great old cars.  Great bunch of people, and very interesting adventures.  I think your video is pretty slick!

I was posted in Germany (Wildflecken) when I was in the U.S. Army.  Went to Wiesbaden a few times, too, on sight-seeing trips.  Don't remember many details, but I like the town.   

Hello Dan,

thank you :-) It's interesting how many people have been to Germany before. I was in the states in 93 when I was at university. I took all the money I had, flew to Ft. Lauderdale, drove by Greyhound to Phoenix, bought a quite originale pale green 58 Oldmobile 88, dove to LA, then along Route 66 to Chicago and down to Ft. Lauderdale. Then I shipped the car to Germany and financed the trip with the money I got. That was the best trip I ever made. I always wanted to do it again, but I don't have the time :-( That's annyoing.

Made first experinces here and it's great get a lot of tipps and tricks I never found in shop manuals, because my transmission won't do as it should.

Great platform...

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Kai,

This is a very receptive and helpful forum ....I have received countless tips while I continue to restore my 48' Dodge Custom. The chat room is a fun place to hang out in the evenings when you have some time to kill or a question to ask.

Also, very nice video....love the music.

Mike 

I noticed in the driving segment that your gear selector lever is in the position for second gear.  Then you said your transmission wasn't behaving correctly.  Are you fully briefed on Dodge Fluid drive and the three speed transmission?

perhaps this would be helpful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_Drive

Edited by greg g

Hello greg g,

this seems to be a missunderstanding. I just said, that the gears are grinding in first and reverse, but not in second and third. So I thought maybe the 3-Speed-Transmission hast synchronizer sleeves for first and reverse which are worn out, but this seems to be wrong. I now will propably check the clutch.

Mike: Thank you, that's why I had a short night :-) Just get good tips to my problem and can't stop reading and writing.

1st and reverse are not synchronized.  Grinding shifting into 1st and reverse at stop is generally related to a still spinning input shaft while the car is in neutral.  The test for this is to first momentarily place the trans into second gear, then select 1 or R.  If the grinding is gone or minimized it is because the 2nd gear synchronizer has stopped the shaft from turning.  If this is the case, a clutch adjustment will usually take care of the problem.  This is caused by the throwout bearing slightly dragging on the throwout fingers.  Not enough to move the car but still enough to spin the trans input shaft.  The fix is to slightly shorten the rod that connects to the throw out fork to allow it to fully release from the pressure plate (clutch cover)  and to assure that there is some free play (1/2 to 1 inch) at the top of the clutch pedal stroke.  This will, assuming your shift lever bushings are all in good condition, take care of the grinding in most cases.

Welcome to the community. Great video! 

As Greg noted 1 & R do not have syncros. Best trick is to shift into second momentary  than back to 1st or R. This will stop the input shaft from spinning and the grinding. 

Hello greg hello p15,

I tried the trick with shifting into second first but it still happens. Don send me a detailed information how to adjust the rod and I hope to solve the problem with that. As I see, the free play is to small.

Thanks a lot

Kai

• 2 years later...

Great Video Kai!  Welcome to the forum.  I'll be happy to help you where I can.  You have done some great work already.  I have posted a bunch of 1942 Dodge info on the AACA web site and I have more.   I might have some old fabric pieces that I think I stuck in the shelf when I parted out a 42 Dodge Custom 4 door. No clue what condition it is in.  I have lots of parts books and try and help other 42 Dodge owners locate parts, although your car looks pretty complete.