Transmission choices

pflaming

It's well known that the S-10 five speed transmission is a very popular swap. Mopar made similar five speed tranny's or had them made. Which model cars and which years have the best Mopar 5 speed tranny that will fit a flat head six?

come on guys...use your imagination a bit..it is nothing new to use a pinion mounted disc set up for an emergency brake if you are not inclined to upgrade the rear gear..however I feel the upgrade to a better tranny would automatically call for a upgrade of the rear axle for better brake components let alone a more street friendly ratio now that we have paved roads, longer lower grades on major thoroughfares etc..forget about advancing a decade or two .....roll in to the correct century...

• Like 1

I have been real happy with my Ranger TK5 Toyo trans install.

It was an easy install, no adapter needed.       The Ranger transmissions are easy to find, and not expensive.

In this area, 5 speed Dakotas and Jeeps are difficult to find.

With only 80HP, I can go into 5th gear at 45MPH, with the 3.7 rear/235/75 tire combo, on level road....

I have been real happy with my Ranger TK5 Toyo trans install.

It was an easy install, no adapter needed.       The Ranger transmissions are easy to find, and not expensive.

In this area, 5 speed Dakotas and Jeeps are difficult to find.

With only 80HP, I can go into 5th gear at 45MPH, with the 3.7 rear/235/75 tire combo, on level road....

Thats because the dakotas and jeeps are still on the road!

I though I saw a post over on the HAMB that someone offered an adapter to fit the AX15 5 speed to the Flathead 6.  I'll see if I can search it up. 

Here is the guys website, I believe he is on here as well. 

http://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/

Give him a call as the adapter is not mentioned on the webiste that I could find.

Edited by Bmartin

I though I saw a post over on the HAMB that someone offered an adapter to fit the AX15 5 speed to the Flathead 6.  I'll see if I can search it up. 

Here is the guys website, I believe he is on here as well. 

http://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/

Give him a call as the adapter is not mentioned on the webiste that I could find.

Interesting thread on his adapter as well. Above my head on some of the technical issues posted. What do those more knowledge have to say?

Al

Where does the adapter put the AX15 shifter with respect to distance from the front seat.  That seems to be one of the bigger issues for me when looking at a swap.  The S10 T5 is the furthest forward that I have found. 

Edited by Bmartin

your Mopar choices are limited...the AX15 is one unit of choice..later model Dakota/1500 w/NV3500 however do not give you a good useable unit due to the integral bell housing...the later Jeeps with the NV3500 per what I have read does have a separate bell..you may look to that for application....I personally have no first hand tech on this Jeep unit.  The NV3500 with the later engine when transplanted to the older Plymouth puts the floor shifter in a perfect location just under the dash itself and with the stock curved factory shift handle..a most comfortable position to allow use of any seating and still right to hand for shifting...I have this in my 48 bz cp...

• 2 years later...
On October 16, 2013 at 8:05 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

your Mopar choices are limited...the AX15 is one unit of choice..later model Dakota/1500 w/NV3500 however do not give you a good useable unit due to the integral bell housing...the later Jeeps with the NV3500 per what I have read does have a separate bell..you may look to that for application....I personally have no first hand tech on this Jeep unit.  The NV3500 with the later engine when transplanted to the older Plymouth puts the floor shifter in a perfect location just under the dash itself and with the stock curved factory shift handle..a most comfortable position to allow use of any seating and still right to hand for shifting...I have this in my 48 bz cp...

Searching around for the proper nv3500 to mate to my 340. Are the integrated units not usable because their bell housing won't bolt up to these motors? Or is it another reason?

I don't think the trans know what it is bolted to so the one-piece unit from an LA block will bolt up to any other LA block, same as any of the 2-piece units.

All LA engines have the same bellhousing bolt pattern and the 3.9 v6 and 4.7 v8 also have the same bell pattern. The usual issue is the flywheel since most of the late stuff is 143 tooth and balanced for the particular engine. The 3.9 v6 is a short 318 so that flywheel is usable but the 4.7 flywheel has a different flywheel bolt pattern and will not bolt up.

If your 340 has a forged crank then you can rebalance the 'new' flywheel to 'zero' and be good to go.  If you have a cast crank then you will need to balance the flywheel to the 340 specs.

In the FWIW depart, the NV1500 and NV3500 are one piece and the NV3550 and AX15 (among others) are a two piece design.

Edited by wayfarer