Water in Oil flathead six 1949 Desoto

James_Douglas

My guess is a head gasket or possibly a cracked block. I use anti-seize on the head and manifold bolts and never had a leak from them.

Problem with using anti-seize is it alters the torque value. Here is a link for some interesting reading on this subject.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/604971-anti-seize-over-torquing-bolts.html

• Like 1

You can buy the fluid everywhere... even Walmart..

Really? What's it called? I went to the web site and they say they ship it with the tester,but they never name it.

Really? What's it called? I went to the web site and they say they ship it with the tester,but they never name it.

This is what it's called and the cost from one of several suppliers.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

They sell it at Oreilly Auto Parts. It comes in different sized bottles, but at my shop we generally buy the biggest bottle we can find. It is simply called "Block Testing Fluid/ Combustion Leak Indicator."  I have used these block/head gasket testers many many times and usually it does in fact turn yellow...however I have had more than one vehicle pass the combustion leak indicator test and still have bad head gaskets. Just so you know even if the fluid doesnt turn yellow it does not always mean your head gaskets arent toast.  Make sure that the coolant level is not absolutely full as sucking coolant into the tester ruins that batch of fluid, and you dont always have to seal the tester into the radiator filler neck...holding it just over the radiator opening will work too. Pull the air through the tester for a good minute or two while the engine is running and at different RPM then leave the tester to sit for 10 minutes or so on the bench. It may not turn yellow immediately....if at all. These testers are great and they really can help identify an internal head gasket issue, but they cannot be considered 100% accurate.   If you are unsure of how "yellow" the fluid will turn when it detects combustion gasses, fill up the tester to the line and go back to the tailpipe and suck some exhaust through it...it will turn yellow right away...that is the color you will be looking for when testing at your radiator.