ANOTHER 6V to 12V......

jorswift

OK ALL,

I was asked to chaufuer my cousin for her wedding with my '48 Plymouth next June.  I am looking to make it a little more reliable as to all the stopping and going.  I do not want to ruine her "big" day!  I am looking for help on converting the 6V to 12V?  Also, how do I rebuilt the generator to be 12V instead of running an alternator?  Thanks.

OK Stop all the madness!!!  You have three threads here about some problems that all look fuel related.  First it stumbles, then its a hat start problem, now you say you have leaks in your gas tank.  Hot Start problems are not usually not related to ign. problems or starter problems.  Hot start 99% of the time is caused by fuel percolation resulting in a flooded condition of your engine.  This is caused by improper fuel level in the carburetor float bowl.  this has two causes.   Improperly set float level, and or needle and seat valve not properly closing.  You need to assure your carb is working correctly set up correctly, you also need to assure your ignition timing is correct and your points in good condition and set properly.  Adding 6 more volts will not address any of these things.

But before you do anything else, fix or replace your leaking gas tank.  Pin holes can be addressed by using self tapping screws, rubber washers and some epoxy.  This is at best a temporary fix but will allow you to drive your car till you can effect a permanent repairs.  Put a rubber washer on the screw and insert the screw into the pin hole, tighten till the leak stops.  Do not over tighten the screw as it will tend to make the hole larger. When the gas that has leaked evaporates from around the repair cover the screw head and surrounding area with epoxy.   You can also try to have the tank repaired by a shop that does radiators etc.  But most of these types of businesses are gone from the landscape as pull and replace has become the normal way to deal with this type of repair.

Think about you engine, it is not far removed from an engine that could be started by a hand crank, so starter speed is not an issue with starting a well maintained and properly turned engine.  If you do not know how to do a complete tune up, and most people do not any longer, as modern tune ups consist of changing the spark plugs at around 100 K miles.  Do you have a service manual for your car??  If not take a trip to you local library and look in the reference section for a MOTORS MANUAL that includes specs and procedures for your car and give the section a good study.  The engineers who designed and built these systems did a good job with what they had at the time, and when in proper condition, provide for a reliable, and dependable automobile.

In the meantime, next time you drive your car and shut it down hot, check the base of the carburetor and the top of the manifold to see it there is wet with gas.  If so you have a problem with fuel level.  This is easy to deal with.  And after the car sit, when you start it, slowly push the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there, while you crank the starter.  This will most times work to start what is a flooded engine.

restarts from hot condition can also be related to a coil breaking down...there are tests for each and all of the conditions mentioned..they need to done to ascertain what is or is not wrong..if you don't know what is wrong..prove what is right..if your six volt is working as in charging, battery in good shape...start by testing for voltage drops due to high resistance in connections or faulty grounds. Most time the upgrade to 12 is successful only due to new and clean contacts made during the upgrade..

Heat could also affect the starter motor.  If the starter motor has weak windings or poor brushes the high temperatures can cause increased electrical resistance.  Before you pull the starter, do as plymouthy says and check the battery, the cable connections and make sure that the cables are thick enough.  They should be #1 or #0 cables for 6 volt.  Cables meant for a 12 V system will have too much resistance, especially when hot.  As the others have said: A 6V system should start reliably hot or cold. 

Dave

The car does not want to start when hot.  It takes a while to cool down or you have to have someone push you.  I feel it would turn over quicker and easier if it was 12V.

I installed a 12 volt starter/battery/new cables, in my 38 Coupe.      The engine would spin over faster and always start easier.

On my 48 Dodge, all 6 volt, I installed a new 900 or so big battery, and a rebuilt carb.     Engine spins fast, and starts very easy, always, even hot.

This 48 has been the easiest car to start if I start it once a week.

If I do not start it once a week, I put a table spoon of fuel in the ail filter, and it starts easy.

The coil idea might be the problem with your car. I had this issue and it an easy test to do  just run the engine till the car start to sputter and then shut it oft.  Pack some ice around the coil to cool it down and then restart.  If the car starts right up than I would invest in a new coil as the old one is probably shot.  Just a trick I learned on this site and it worked. :)

GROUNDS GROUNDS GROUNDS!  We have found that almost all of the hard start warm issues were resolved w/a fuel issue but if that doesn't check out its a bad or faulty, dirty. loose ground conductor. Engine to frame, body. Grab the -NEG-  battery cable w/a helper cranks the engine-  if the cable even gets warm- ground!  Good Luck!

What an honor to be chauffeuring your cousin on her big day. Plus, you and the 48 are going to be in some awesome photos which hopefully you'll share.

Fortunately, you have time. I have an Optima 6 volt battery in my 52 that does seem to have the amp power to turn over the engine even when I was having overheating issues. It's funny because the Optima is a lot smaller in size than other 6 volt batteries.

I did have a 50 Plymouth set up with an 8 volt battery and voltage regulator adjusted for that by the previous owner. It was OK but I'm glad my 52 is running 6 volts.

greg g's post offers great advice. A leaking gas tank has the highest potential of a wedding disaster waiting to happen.

Good luck.