Tire leaning in ?

wayfarerstranger

I believe I would look first at the upper control arm bolts being loose and allowing the unit to slide inboard tot he stops...

if that is not it I would look at the amount of Jack Daniel that has been dispensed from the bottle in the 30 minutes prior to looking at the car...

not sure but first thing I would check..unlikely the king pin has sheered...or the frame has rusted and gave way..or the bushing have let go completely in the upper control arm

i guess those bushings could be the problem ? didn`t have the time to get to far into it . i jacked up the front end to try and work on the play in my steering thats when i noticed it leaning in , i put a level next to the tire and it was leaning in at the top a little over 2"  .    with the tires off the ground i turned the wheel back and fourth then turned it half way the wheel was in the right spot with the tires straight a head , but 3 to 4 inches of play  both ways . i tightened the screw on the steering box earlier before that i had about 8" play to the right .  when i am driving down the road the center of the wheel goes to the right about 8" it point`s to the upper right corner of the wind shield .    it has more play to the right than the left .. the car does not shake or shimmy at any speed runs down the road pretty nice  it is just a little tuff steering with the slop in the wheel  and the leaning tire is wearing to the inside . i thought maybe the the tire could be adjusted back with the tie rod ends ? 

It's typical for them to tip n when they're off the ground.   All alignment specs are with the vehicle weight on the tires.  Changing the tie rod adjustment will change the toe , not the camber.  How does it look when setting on the ground? 

because the upper A arm is shorter than the lower one, the arch they describe from fully loaded to fully unloaded changes. As such the attachment of the king pin mounts angles at a different rate.  Camber is set with Normal weight on the car at the mean normal of the total arc.  At full travel the control arm will cause the king pin to change angles.  On the lift at fully dropped and unloaded position the angle is quite noticeable.  at fully loaded the angle is reversed and the tire leans out, not as much as the shorter arm describes a shorter arc.

Edited by greg g

tim the tire leans in on and off the ground just more off   and don after 50 years of working on 1000`s of cars and owning just about as many some worth more than your house  no i have never jacked a car up by the frame    --Remaining post deleted by moderator--

Edited by TodFitch

Don and Greg's posts are correct, the camber on the mopar independent front end does change when the car is jacked up from the frame or chassis, this allows the suspension to go thru its arc............my 1940 Dodge front ends been doing it like this since 1971 when I bought it.......lol.........when did you last get a wheel alignment?.........regards, andyd