Nebraska auction results listings

BobT-47P15

Day 1              https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=68561

Day 2             https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=68562

Most of those cars brought more than I imagined they would.  I guess you could restore

one of those low mileage vehicles......but then it would not be truly "original".  

I think the guy who sold the field full of maybe 300 old cars plus crushed out the

remainder still in the woods cleared a couple million.   Auction was held south

of here several months ago.  There were a few "winners" in the batch, but most

needed varying amounts of work since they sat for 30  or 40 years or so.   A pretty

decent restorable 49 Plym two door went for about $900. 

DSC04701.jpgDSC04703.jpg

Thanks for posting that, Bob. I think a lot of people paid a lot of money for a lot of cars that were worth a lot less and there will be a lot of buyer's remorse. Just because a car has low miles does not mean it can be kept original if you want to drive it. Most of those cars needed major work to look nice. Sitting in leaky storage or outside all that time did the cars no favours. Hopefully, many will see the road and have lots of miles put on them. Cars are meant to be driven not sit around with low miles on them.

• Like 1

I see the opposite happening with some of the more popular models. They will either be cleaned up or restored and never driven. They will forever remain low mileage "new" cars floating from owner to owner and auction to auction.

Sounds as if there was a lot of money that parted hands.  As you sttaed above they are only original once and as soon as you change something then the originality is lost.  All will have to have work done to them.  I saw that 4 pencils sold for 100 dollars.  I think there definately was the bidding war going on and people got caught up in the bidding and  did not think about the true price they were paying for an item.  The old mentality is that I have to have it at any cost.  So someone will see the pencils sitting in a box sometime later and say I need a pencil to write something and then sharpen it and use it.  Its just an old pencil from some old Chevy Dealership that went out of busin es who cares.  So they used it at the cost of 25 dollars and they could care less.

Just think about this aspect of the auction.  Yes some cars are worth money but this was out of my league.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Those cars must have looked a lot better in person than they did in pictures.  I kind of wonder if Ed hit it.  That those cars will be garage space holders, trailer queens, and continue to make the auction circuit as people try to recoup their costs (loses).  At a minimum each one would need new turn up parts, new belts and hoses, new fluids, tires, probably exhaust systems, filters, etc.  No knowing what damage mice and other critters have caused.  And as I scrolled down the sales lists, I wondered where all those folks got all that money.  Did people take a second mortgage on their homes to play at the auction?  And will all those new old chevies drive down the market value or the everyday ordinary restored Malibu SS???

• Like 1

No, I don't think the cars did look any better. From watching the History Channel coverage I think people were bidding on emotion and buying conversation pieces.

One guy did say he was buying a 1974 big block (i.e., special-order) Monte Carlo as an investment and intended to double his money in a couple of years, but I think he's nuts. He gave $18,000 I think for a poor condition (albeit "new," maybe?) car that isn't a great year for the Monte Carlo body. You can buy a 1970 SS 454 Monte Carlo in Hemmings Motor News right now for $17,500, nice condition, low miles for the year -- around 100k. ... I don't see that dusty '74 being a $35,000 car in two years just because it was a Lambrecht car. For the Lambrecht provenance to matter that much to you, I suspect you needed to be there, like Woodstock.

It did turn out a bit like I expected. Enormous prices on the "new" cars, but a few things that seemed more reasonable or affordable out of the used inventory (some of which still had pretty low mileage) and especially among the non-Chevy vehicles at a Chevy dealer.

Like this 1949 Kaiser Yale Blue sedan for $1,400, which could probably be restored or make a unique street rod, at a price I'd have expected from our local salvage auction a few months ago, not The Auction to End All Auctions.

I'm having fun going through them today to see if I missed out.  :lol:

Edited by GlennCraven

Looks like there were some real bargains on the 'not-a-shiverlay' listing.

And, as I expected, plenty of crazy people spending crazy money on emotion and speculation.  I guess if 'ya got it, flaunt it...

Glad I only have one old car as one old car is enough to keep me busy!  I have friends that have many, many  cars and they will admit to me its a sickness that some people just can't shake oft.  See an old car in a yard or alley or just anywhere that looks like a bagain and they haft to have it.  I have been down that road and when you have one or two old rigs to me that enough just to keep you busy and that project might just get completed.  But I think we all know that these cars can become overwellming and they own us not we own them.

From the LADUMBASS COLLECTION i have a 1950 DODGE MEADOWBROOK new interior " seat`s,headliner,door panel`s " decent paint rebuilt motor needs brake work , has been sitting and not started up for a while ,so it will need a little love . just reduced from 140,000.00 to a bargain basement price of 10,000 no sale`s tax or auction fee`s  can delivery within one mile from my house other wise you are responsible for transporting from it`s present location . willing to barter for a late model low mileage automobile .

• Like 1

For us in Germany you have to see the scored prices plus shipping/ tax and i have to go to the usa. Prices here for example: http://www.usclassic-cars.com/Projekt.htm

But we know, the better car is the "cheaper" buy. There is no well-stocked junkyard here.

Greetings

I just talked to a friend who attended the auction. He is a Corvette guy and hoped to buy the vette pedal car. He went to $1000, it went for $16,000. (Yes, I got the zeros correct!)

A couple of interesting things you might not have known. It cost $12.50 a day, 2 day minimum, to park. They took in over $50,000 in parking.

Also, every local nearby drug out any old car they could find and put it near the highways with for sale signs on them. Everybody tried to cash in. Can't blame them. I have a reputation for going for rusty junk. They said I'd have been in heaven if I'd been there!

They also said there were mostly empty trailers leaving.

• Like 2

Also, every local nearby drug out any old car they could find and put it near the highways with for sale signs on them. Everybody tried to cash in. Can't blame them. I have a reputation for going for rusty junk. They said I'd have been in heaven if I'd been there!

They also said there were mostly empty trailers leaving.

I hadn't thought of that, but I'll bet that's true. You could have made a weekend of it just driving around and browsing the inventory in people's yards.

And, as I expected, plenty of crazy people spending crazy money on emotion and speculation.  I guess if 'ya got it, flaunt it...

A local "that ain't a oil leak you see under that car,son! It's sweat from all the horsepower under the hood!" used car dealer went to a auction in Charlotte a month or so ago and bought a over-restored Model A sport coupe that was missing a few parts like the Landau irons and paid 25 thousand bucks for it. A local Model A restorer that has been fooling with them since the 50's agrees with me that it's a 12 grand car at most.

Yes,the car is pretty and so shiny it will bust your eyeballs out,but there was never a single Model A sold new that had paint or chrome that flawless. It's black and it looks like you could swim in it. If he ever took it to a Model A restorers show it would score so low he would probably end up crying.

Edited by knuckleharley

I was standing at the auction.  The second day you could actually see the cars that were sold. The commenets from the successful bidders and the 2nd and 3rd high bidders was amazing. Time after time they said they needed a little more margin so they could 'flip' the car for a profit.

I didnt see ANY profits to be made on cars of that condition and what they needed to just run"costs".  Obviously I was not as smart as they were.  Think every body there caught TMM disease!!!

And what does it cost to haul a car half way across the country???500 if yourself and double that almost if custom hauled?Their was 2 or 3 cars that went to the crusher out of 500 and thats not bad for the number of wrecked cars there from trees falling on them to buildings collapseing in the snow load.  More smashed up cars than I thought I would see.

I did see a lot of empty trailers heading to far away places Monday Morning.

I have to agree that having many vehicles just sitting around is a "sickness". I to have a few friends who have 3-4 cars just sitting or they are in stages of getting fixed. I look at it this way...........I pool my money allotted for my project.................use it to get my project to the next phase................save more money and continue until it is on the road.

Unless one has very deep pockets and who does these days, it's hard enough to get one done let alone having 3-4 sitting in the wings...............oh, and the other thing...........I ain't getting any younger, at 63 now, these old bones don't like crawling in and under cars like they used to 20 yrs. ago.

I do kid my buddies that have these collections...........I tell them they have OCD................old car disease................but I guess we all have that to some degree as well.

In June I sold a non operational 1958 Chevrolet Apache Pickup with a 283 and a three speed in California for $400. I thought that was a good price then as it got it out of my hair. 

I think that was a good deal for your buyer, too. That's potentially a very neat old truck. But if you don't want it, selling it at a price that makes you happy is just the right deal.

I drove cars to their designated parking place last Friday for a Dan Kruse Auction in Austin, Texas to be held last Saturday.  Amazing how many of the cars had been bought to be flipped for a profit they hoped.  Also more amazing was that most of the owners were not car enthusiast but were after the bucks.  I had one the owner insisted that only he could park it in its place, a 4 door 67 Dodge with 440 badges and a new paint job that left a trail of oil across the floor.  I checked and his power steering box had a seal leak.  He did not even know where the power steering pump was located or how to check the fluid level.

I drove cars to their designated parking place last Friday for a Dan Kruse Auction in Austin, Texas to be held last Saturday.  Amazing how many of the cars had been bought to be flipped for a profit they hoped.  Also more amazing was that most of the owners were not car enthusiast but were after the bucks.  I had one the owner insisted that only he could park it in its place, a 4 door 67 Dodge with 440 badges and a new paint job that left a trail of oil across the floor.  I checked and his power steering box had a seal leak.  He did not even know where the power steering pump was located or how to check the fluid level.

Seems the recent TV car flip shows are trend setting amongst the general public.

We can only hope that the car "flippin" programs  Soon go the way of all the house flippin programs from just a few years ago.
Thank God!----Or whom you chose to thank--- the viewers? ;) 

Doug