Axle length

Brad Lustig

Brad, are you measuring at the backing plates, if so there are too many variables, drum width, wheel off set, etc?  A better measurement would be at the brake drum wheel-mounting surface, …. the explorer 8.8 is just under 60 inches at the drum face.

Brad, are you measuring at the backing plates, if so there are too many variables, drum width, wheel off set, etc?  A better measurement would be at the brake drum wheel-mounting surface, …. the explorer 8.8 is just under 60 inches at the drum face.

Ray...and others..this is a search for just an axle shaft...not entire rear assembly...Brad has wiped a bearing surface and damaged a stop collar on his original..his axle is 32 1/4 C10 sytle..it is a taper axle with a bearing stop collar and 10 spline count...

both left and right axles are the same...I was hoping my 50 axles here would help Brad but they are a tad too short and are for approx. 50--62 most applications, maybe even through the end of the taper axle run....in 64 my interchange book doe s not go beyond 62

...(across the line up 49 year was the most narrow of all the early axles)

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

parts book lists # 1118136 37-48 Plym, Dodge, Chrysler, DeSoto 32 1/4"

EDIT  46-48 C39 (8 cyl) different part #

Thanks Shel, just what I needed.  Well, besides the actual axle.  Another older tape measured 32-1/4"  and the other was just under so I'd say that's the measurement i need to go with