Original glass cracks are multiplying.

zephyrland

I have original glass in my 1947 d24.  The windshield and door glass will all eventually need replacing, but it is low on my priority list.

With that being said, my driver door window has been rolled down basically since I got the car in my garage and it seems that the stress of opening and closing the doors has created a new huge set of cracks on the driver window.

Is there any recommendations on slowing this inevitable process?  I decided to keep the windows rolled up from now on, as I think they'll have less free play and won't wiggle quite as much.  But any other advice would be helpful.

post-6362-0-67731400-1380441268_thumb.jpg

The original windshield glass on my '49 wasn't broken until we tried to move it.

There was kind of a cloudy portion on the driver's side, but otherwise it looked pretty good. However, dragged onto the rollback and taken to the shop and then deposited off the rollback, the driver's side suddenly had a crack from top to center post in the upper left corner of the class as you look at it from the front.

Then, the car went up and down on the frame lift a couple of times and when I looked at the windshield again, there were three big cracks on the passenger side.

(Sigh.)

not good Glenn..could well be the very stress on the body due to the frame rail being eaten and causing sag or the very rusted out cross supports causing the body to sag and pinch components..that is why I stressed on chat NOT to be ripping around with the newly placed V8 till you have addressed these very body/chassis concerns...if the frame were to give way and crumple..most assuredly the body will follow suit and if the lower rockers/floor do not have the strength left in them due to rust the roof line could easily buckle..that is a hard situation to recover from and one that can be avoided..advise you to check condition of body by reading your door gaps now...

Will do, and frame weakness was something I figured may have contributed to the glass breakage.

I will say before this trip up and down the frame lift, the doors and trunk all opened and closed like it was a 10-year-old car, not a 64-year-old car. That was one of the things that encouraged me most when I bought it. Made me think the car still had some structural integrity.

Didn't think to look at the back glass, which is also original.

The man who sold it to me already replaced most or all of the side glass.

I cracked both rear windows and each one cost about 75 dollars to replace.  I know how it happen as I jacked up the car on the frame and left the windows in the up position.  So when I do jack up on the frame I roll down the windows and this in turn takes the stress away from a closed window.  Make sure when you replace the glass check out your repair manual as they are a little tricky to replace.  Jon

• Like 1

There must be a window molding maker out there for this tired old rubber too, isn't there?

Andy Bernbaum's probably has what you need. And other sellers, too.

Edited by GlennCraven

Will do, and frame weakness was something I figured may have contributed to the glass breakage.

I will say before this trip up and down the frame lift, the doors and trunk all opened and closed like it was a 10-year-old car, not a 64-year-old car. That was one of the things that encouraged me most when I bought it. Made me think the car still had some structural integrity.

Didn't think to look at the back glass, which is also original.

The man who sold it to me already replaced most or all of the side glass.

I can see the shifting of the body to frame if the lift had for lifting arms....not something I recommend on cars of unknown structural strength.....if the frame is patched and these alignments are off..going to be hard to correct later...I am hoping you have not already done damage..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Being out of the loop for as long as I have I can't believe I'm reading this statement! Glad they have straightened things out there.

New ownership and so far a lot of positive comments. I bought some spark plug wires and talked to the new owner. Great service and polite!