Manifold Fasteners

Greenbomb

I'm starting to put things back together after a lengthy down time. Some of the details are a bit sketchy. I was reading about if the intake gets separated from the exhaust you should not fully tighten the intake to exhaust bolts until each one is fully tightened to the block. Which got me thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to separate the 2 units to avoid unexpected stresses that could break off a flange ear. Then I looked at what I have for fasteners that were original to it and there is sort of a mish-mash of bolts, studs and washers. There are some studs with what appears to be lock nuts that are installed backwards that fit into a cone shaped brass flat washer. There were 4 of those and then 7 plain ol' hexhead nuts with some flat washers. There are 4 positions that are like open slots that require a thick washer. Is that where the cone shaped nuts/washers are used? How about the others- should there be flat washers? Should any of them have lock washers? There weren't any lock washers when i took it apart. Other than the 2 long bolts should they all be studs with nuts rather than bolts? Any info on torque specs? I will need some of the cone shaped nuts and washers- any one know where to get those?

Any info is much appreciated. Thanks.

Your four cone shaped nuts and washers go on the outer ends of your exhaust manifold and the taper of the nuts into the cone shaped washer acts as a lock washer . No other lock washers are used on the manifolds . You can buy these special nuts and washers from Vintage Power Wagons . You won't be able to get a torque wrench on most of these fasteners and have to do it by feel . I have also seen the cone shaped washers and special nuts on ebay . I think there is one bolt that is hidden in the middle and comes out from down below .