A 51 Plymouth model never saw before

Grdpa's 50 Dodge

Was at the Lambrecht auction, the giant auction, and saw a body that has sat out for a long time, prob 50-60 years.

I saw a model of Plymouth I never saw before.  They called it a 51,,I dont know for sure.  But model is Corolla or something like thator Corona maybe.  It appeared to be a sort of fast back model of the family sedan in a 2 door model.  How rare are these??  Never ever saw one around here before

Course the cheap mom and pop family buggy was all we had in these parts.

How much is the basic sheet metal body worth?? (About all thats left of her)

Quite a few built but not many around now. They are quite unique looking but take quite a few different parts for that body style only. That may be one reason not a lot of them are around due to difficulty finding parts for them. For example, I know the stainless trim for the rear fenders is unique. Neil Riddle has a nice set for the Concord on ebay and I need some for my business coupe but the Concord ones are a good two inches longer.

Watching the coverage replay on History Channel now. ... Really wishing I'd gone.

Somebody paid $10,500 for a Vega with 6.1 miles.

The Chevy Cameo with 1.3 miles went for $140K. A 1978 Corvette Pace Car, "new," went for $80,000.

I don't think there's going to be a full accounting of all the selling prices. That's what I'd have been there to do. Take a photo of every car, write down the final price and put it all online later to fully document this historic auction.

P.S. Bidding is at $27,500 for a '69 Chevelle SS 396 that got crushed when snow dropped a building roof on it. ... An underbidder in overalls who was at $25,000 says he just wanted it for the big block and the "SS stuff" -- a parts car for one he already has at  home.

Edited by GlennCraven

Sounds like some good buys to be had.

Somebody paid $40,000 for an orchid pink four-door '57 Chevy 210 that was a trade-in Mr. Lambrecht never resold, so it had tens of thousands of miles on it. Then a '57 Bel Air sold for about $27,000.

Up now is a '63 Impala four-door with 34K miles. It went for $20,000.

As one of the "Top Gear" guys notes, you can buy a better car than most of these, of the same year and model, for a lot less money. It's just the fact that they're Lambrecht cars that is driving up the price on a lot of these.

My dad bought me one just like this. The only redeeming factor when it showed up was that it was black. Lived in Western NE then and I drove it to California and back in 1958. 

50Plymouthfastbackblack_zpsbce90c96.jpg

They can look very classy. These two are '50 models but stiil very much alike.

50Plymouthfastbackmaroonandgrey_zps77ba1

Edited by pflaming

There were 17 essentially new Chevy C-10 pickups, 1964s, I guess. About a dozen were from fleet sales. I'm guessing most or all had essentially zero miles on them.

Rutledge Wood of the U.S. version of "Top Gear" left the History Channel set to go bid on one. He wanted "the nicest," which he said would be a $5,000 truck under normal conditions.

The first of the C-10s sold for $10,500 or so. The second one for $20,000. Then one for $40,000. ... Which is crazy because they were essentially the same truck. Colors might have differed, but options, miles and conditions really didn't.

He said he felt like a boy who got to the pet store after it closed and all the puppies had already gone home with someone else.

Edited by GlennCraven

Oh, and the guy who bought a '49 Suburban, formerly a U.S. government vehicle with about 48k miles, spent $14,000. And he's going to make a "tribute to our troops" by installing a 600-cube twin turbo with a narrowed nine-inch rear and 16-inch slicks.

Edited by GlennCraven

OK, a '63 Impala coupe hardtop was $97,500 (think it was just a 327 car, non SS) and a '58 Chevy Apache for $80,000.

An Aussie woman, Cherie Barber -- Australian home improvement show presenter -- came all this way, three planes, 20 hours of flight, a four-hour drive, and bought a '56 Bel Air.

She has no idea how to get it back to Australia. I'm sure she can figure it out.

Barber was "looking for a feminine car ... something with beautiful curves ... beautiful styling." The electrician from her TV show sent her a link to the cars for sale and she canceled all her public speaking engagements and flew across the Pacific.

The best story is probably the elderly man who bought back his '57 Chevy that he traded in at Lambrecht in the early 1960s. It was his first car after coming back to the States from the military.

If she can get it to Long Beach Ca. there are plenty of guys from Oz who have representatives who can ship it for her for approx. $3500.00 all up landed in Oz.........that's the going rate across the water but it sometimes costs that and more just to get a car across the US...........btw have never heard of her......I don't improve my home so that's probably the reason.......lol.....andyd

• Like 1

That guy who bought back his 57, he is my neighbor, used to live a couple miles up the road.  VERY nice guywho has picked up some   tremors later in life.  Glad he got it back, didnt see him there but such a crush of people didnt see others that were there either.

Hope that Ted got his car back too.  All I know is it stayed in Nebraska,,,one of the few.  I used to go to school with him.  Interesting to see a show like that with all people I knew on it. Definition of a small town- Dont need blinkers cause everybody knows where your going,,,OR,,, Dial a wrong number but talk for half an hour anyway,,,,both of which is true here.

• Like 1

I think Paul needs another new project.... a Hogback!

Found the attached pics in a quick Google search... Quite an interesting looking car!

I've never seen one before,but it looks a lot like a  Dodge fastback a family friend had when I was a kid.

I don't think there's going to be a full accounting of all the selling prices. That's what I'd have been there to do. Take a photo of every car, write down the final price and put it all online later to fully document this historic auction.

A newspaper that came out weekly and was called Old Cars Weekly used to report on all the old car auctions,giving condition and sale prices. I used to subscribe to it because it always had a lot of interesting articles in it.

Looks like they are still doing this with a web edition now.

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/

If this is a van der Brink auction,you will be able to go to their web page and see what the sale prices were.