1950 Chrysler Royal

CoolinJack

Hi All

I am restoring a 1950 Chrysler Royal and have identified ( I think ) a top oiler which is bolted to the bulkhead.

It seems to have been fitted as standard, how ever I have been unable to find any information as was it a factory option or what ?

Would appreciate any info /  guidance

Thanks

Colin

post-6420-0-74193000-1379706098_thumb.jpg

Well you made it in?  Glad you could make it. Check the resourses tab at the top of the page. I think there is a download there about oil filters.

Oh, and you gotta post pictures of your ride or you get booted off the site. Just kidding but we do want pictures.

Edited by wdoland

Hi Wayne, yeah I made it !

Pictures ?, I have a gazzilion of everything... as it was dismantled and cleaned / stored lol ( gotta love digital Cameras )

When I get it we managed to get the engine running after sitting there for 5 years, and when she settled down it was very smooth,

so much I have only cleaned the oil pan and replaced some gaskets / and core plugs.

The body is off the chassis, so as I can work on the breaks, steering / suspension etc.

Colin, when I saw the Chrysler Royal heading I immediately thought of the Oz Chrysler Royals we had here from 1957 to 62, they were 54 Plymouths with 55/56 Plymouth fenders, De Soto side moldings  etc...................anyway what I'd like is a pic of the engine bay of your car, I've never seen a 1940 onwards car mopar with a drag link type steering setup and am curious how the steering connects from the steering box thru to the tie rods.............also that oil thing looks unusual at least to my Oz eyes........thanks & regards, andyd

Hi Andy

I created an album to put the pictures into.

I took some pics this morning, however the engine is in place as I have recently moved, so I took some pics from either side of the engine, straight underneath and the drop arm from the steering box. there is also a log pic from the rear when the chassis was being stripped down, hope it helps, If you need anything else, just shout !

A pic or two of the 1950 Chrysler cars steering linkage setup.....

Dodgeb4ya and Colin..........Davin Cole a fellow oz member had shown me how to see the pics but unfortunately your pics Colin did not show how the front/back motion of the drag link was converted into a left/right action between the steering arms.....lol......the setup looked for all the world like that used by Packards & Studebakers at least thru the 50's with a bellcrank arrangement..........AND Dodgeb4y's pics with the "dotted" line show that yes indeed there is a bellcrank........this is amazing for me as in 40odd yrs I have never seen this setup.....all Oz mopars were Plymouth based so this arrangement was never used here.......and one more question............I assume this would have eliminated the "bump steer" that afflicked Plymouths to some degree........many thanks guys....have learnt something today........regards, andyd

I should have a pic of the bell crank as I took it apart to check and grease the bearingd etc, I will have to do some digging. 

Is there any way to find out if my top oiler was a factory fitted option ? a build sheet from the manufacturer or something ?

Regards

C

The bell crank was used with a drag link in the early 50s to move the steering box to the top of the frame with the output end of the box horizontal instead of vertical.  This was to allow the steering mechanism to clear the new V8 engines.  In 55 the 300 used a box much like the 55 Chevy and mustang with the box on to of the frame and the output down the inside of the frame with the pitman arm actuating a tie rod attaching to another point just aft of the tie rods, imagine a triangle with the base being the two attach points on the bell crank shown and the point aft of them.  The cross rod attached to the rear hole.  I have a book where a man with a 46/48 Chrysler business coupe installed late model spindles, upper A frame and disc brakes from a large body Chrysler and the bell crank from a 55 300.  He used an adapter for a MoPar lower screw in ball joint in the original lower A frames.  He used a Firebird steering box and made the connecting cross tie rod.  This set up dropped the front of the car 3 or 4 inches. The bell crank that  Chrysler used in 50 was much like what Chevrolet used from the late 40 to 54 in their cars.

Edited by james curl

I don't think there is such a thing as a factory installed top oiler. They are all aftermarket from Sears, Western Auto, Warshawsky's, etc.  Its rather  a waste on flathead engines as most were designed to oil the rocker arm shafts and rocker arms themselves.  6 cylinder Fords and Chevies could benefit from having one installed, but, none came from the factory. 

James, you are right about the 49-54 Chevs having a bellcrank setup.......I had a 51 Chev for about 15yrs...you'd think I'd remember that one....lol.......andyd

To me it looks more like a High capacity/heavy duty oil filter.  Since this is a Royal, I am assuming it has the 6. which should have had the full flow filter bolted to the side of the engine.  The top part of this looks like the standard bypass style canister, the bottom though looks to provide for extra capacity.  Have you taken off the top and looked into whats in there??  Most of the top oilers, were glass bottles fitted into a wire bracket that attached to the firewall, and most were plumbed into a vacuum port on the intake manifold.  this looks to have a standard oil line hose feeding it.