11" Clutch On A 218 Upgrade

JR-39D11

Learning all my lessons the expense way. I wanted to get a little more power from the blown 218, to do this I found a donor 230 fly wheel crank piston rods and got the correct ring gear. Turns out I got the flywheel from a vehicle with a 11" clutch. I didn't get the clutch parts.

To get the clutch and pressure plate I've tried two sponsors Andy Bernbaum said they didn't carry them vintage powewagons said I needed the core.

Questions, any place I could find a 11"clutch setup?

Will there be any issues running this size clutch?

Would it be better to find a flywheel from a 230?

Learning all my lessons the expense way. I wanted to get a little more power from the blown 218, to do this I found a donor 230 fly wheel crank piston rods and got the correct ring gear. Turns out I got the flywheel from a vehicle with a 11" clutch. I didn't get the clutch parts.

To get the clutch and pressure plate I've tried two sponsors Andy Bernbaum said they didn't carry them vintage powewagons said I needed the core.

Questions, any place I could find a 11"clutch setup?

Will there be any issues running this size clutch?

Would it be better to find a flywheel from a 230?

I had the same issue afew years ago.

I just took the 230 flywheel to my machine show and had drill the flywheel to match yhe 10" clutch I had. Do you have a 218 stock flywheel? I actually took both flywheels to them, but don't know if the really needed the 218 to compare or not.

Check pilot bushing size to make sure thats its the same or replace from a 218". Mine where already same size.

Regards'

Doug

Doug

Jeez, I thought when he said he had a blown engine I could sell him my schiefer flywheel aluminum flywheel for even more performance!

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Okay the guy I got the 230 parts says he found the 11" pressure plate and clutch. Obviously this is a harder clutch to come by but it's not going to be used up any time soon so looking for the opinions and reason if I should run the 11" or have the flywheel machined to accept the 10" clutch.

You might want to see if the pressure plate will fit inside of the bell housing without dragging on the inside surface..   I have a flywheel mounted on the crank in an old block that I have mocked up the bell housing for the use of a T-5 transmission.  I installed an 11" clutch that I have here in my spare parts and could not spin the crank because the pressure plate interfered with the inside of the bell housing.  So if you have the flywheel and pressure plate see if they will fit into your bell housing before you start spending money to rebuild or to drill and tap for a 10" or smaller pressure plate.  All you will be out is your time but you can get it right the first time that way.  Does anyone here on the forum presently have an eleven inch clutch and pressure plate installed on a running Plymouth engine in a car?

Does anyone here on the forum presently have an eleven inch clutch and pressure plate installed on a running Plymouth engine in a car?

Well, kinda...

My Model A runs a 51 218, with a truck flywheel, and bellhousing, 11" pressure plate(all from behind a 251) inside that is the 10" clutch.  I couldn't run my 11" clutch because the shaft is larger, and it has a car three speed.  I used the 11" pressure plate because the bellhouse has the pedal setup that fits to the throw out bearing that only fits the larger pressure plate.

Everybody confused?

You might want to see if the pressure plate will fit inside of the bell housing without dragging on the inside surface..   I have a flywheel mounted on the crank in an old block that I have mocked up the bell housing for the use of a T-5 transmission.  I installed an 11" clutch that I have here in my spare parts and could not spin the crank because the pressure plate interfered with the inside of the bell housing.  So if you have the flywheel and pressure plate see if they will fit into your bell housing before you start spending money to rebuild or to drill and tap for a 10" or smaller pressure plate.  All you will be out is your time but you can get it right the first time that way.  Does anyone here on the forum presently have an eleven inch clutch and pressure plate installed on a running Plymouth engine in a car?

Solid Advice, I guessing the bell housing on the truck is bigger then what was in my car.

When I said I took my flywheels _ 218-10" and 230 11" to a machine shop it was not for any machine work, but redrill the smaller dia. bolt pattern hole pattern for the 10" pressure plate in the 230 flywheel. The 11" clutch was my first choice but the pressure plate was set up for a larger throwout bearing and ID on the throwout bearing was set up for a heavy truck, way to big.

The combo had no issues with install in my 50 3 sp. w/OD

I guess I seemed to anxious for the 11" clutch cause all of a sudden the guy thinks he might use it in a future project however I should still be good as long as a 11" fits in the bell housing . I talked to a local clutch and brake shop in Seattle http://www.brakeandclutchsupply.com/index.shtml they said the bolt pattern I have is pretty standard for the 11" pressure plate and we can play with few and they can take my 10" clutch use the center to make me a 11" clutch so it will work with my spline pattern.    

Seems you have found a solution. Great.

Locally i could not find a clutch repair place that had a clue, so I took a differant direction.

Regards,

Doug

I guess I seemed to anxious for the 11" clutch cause all of a sudden the guy thinks he might use it in a future project however I should still be good as long as a 11" fits in the bell housing . I talked to a local clutch and brake shop in Seattle http://www.brakeandclutchsupply.com/index.shtml they said the bolt pattern I have is pretty standard for the 11" pressure plate and we can play with few and they can take my 10" clutch use the center to make me a 11" clutch so it will work with my spline pattern.    

Any modern 10" or 10½" PP will provide more than enough clamping force for your engine, just be sure your T/O bearing is compatible with the finger design.

And, if needed, you can use a 10" disc with an 11" PP

does the damn crank pulley on a 230 crank have a bigger internal diameter then the one that came off my 218. I know the bolt is much smaller diameter but for me to get the pulley from my 218 on this 230 crank, I'm going to have to use a longer bolt with washers and user air impact wrench to get it on and it will never come off. wont go one with a block and a hammer.

It's possible they are different. According to the downloadable parts listing on the DPETCA site, there were 2 different crank pulleys used on the 218 with an engine serial number break listed. An easy way to tell, if you haven't tossed the old 218 crank out the door, would be to get out the caliper and measure them both or measure the ID of the hub and the OD of the crank. OD of the crank is larger, then the hub won't go on.

It's possible they are different. According to the downloadable parts listing on the DPETCA site, there were 2 different crank pulleys used on the 218 with an engine serial number break listed. An easy way to tell, if you haven't tossed the old 218 crank out the door, would be to get out the caliper and measure them both or measure the ID of the hub and the OD of the crank. OD of the crank is larger, then the hub won't go on

I don't have the old crank or I would do that. I guess I should ask how hard is it to put on. I've dealt with installing them on 350s and 460s and they go on very tight and need finesse. I just don't want to over do it.